OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
:rolleyes:

Not as young as I’d like.... tho’ Mrs Nosmo does say I act like a child sometimes! In fact, she says I’m worse!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Wanted dad to get one when I was a kid, he told me to get a good job and save hard for my own, Had a few older ones, first one bought with a very small inheritence when my step dad died. Had always earmarked my lump sum to buy a decent one, fortunately by then had met John so we split the cost. Bought our first one new, never regretted it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have had motorhomes and caravans pretty much all my adult life. I used to buy used vans privately or through auctions that needed tidying up. I refurbished them and sold them on at a profit, sometimes one a week during the summer months.

Now we are retired, we are just enjoying the lifestyle

OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
One a week!
Good for you. That takes some doing!

Good to hear you’re still enjoying it!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One a week!
Good for you. That takes some doing!
every evening after work and some days off. Then used the vans for weekend meets with the local DA of the c&cc. It used to be a great joke with our friends as to what caravan or motorhome we would turn up with on a Friday afternoon. That van was often sold by Sunday evening.

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Life savings, no bloomin point leaving it in the bank with interest rates as they stand. Splashed the cash,and enjoying life as it's too short, blink and it's over

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
My track record so far is trade in the one i bought new 3 months ago and find the £10 k shortfall :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I could always save it and leave to my kids who would squander it even quicker than me

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I sold Yorkshire tap water to those ponsie southerners after re bottling it and called it
“Nordic aqua mineral”
Made farsands dahling ;););)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It was a stressy job to claim part of my rightful inheritance so I squandered it on a new PVC. :D

Vita brevis.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Worked hard all my life .. sometimes doing two or three jobs at same time .. long hours with just couple of hours sleep per night .. and exhausted but was good job as ended up as carer for not one but two elderly parents with dementia and cancer. :(

Van took savings .. love it .. but maintaining it and keeping it on road a real struggle .. take each month as it comes. . The good times make it worthwhile. :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
greenshield stamps
True story. (Not wishing to hijack a thread).

When working as a firefighter in West Yorkshire many years ago we were called to a massive fire in a printing works. It was already through the roof when we arrived. The factory was gutted.

They were the printers of Green Shield stamps.

During a lull I asked what I thought was a member of staff if he knew how the fire had started. He said....

“Yes. It was me. I was installing a fire sprinkler system and sparks from my welding torch set fire to the stock”.

I often wondered if he kept his job!:eek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Lloyds do one:

https://www.blackhorse.co.uk/caravan/motorhome-lease-purchase

I don't know anyone who's purchased using this method though.
I bought one off a family due to emigrate that was on Blackhorse finance. We did the deal and paid off the outstanding finance sat in the van outside his house. No problems whatsoever with them, but as I recall the family had traded a previous van plus finance for their new van. When paid off, they walked away with just a couple of hundred pounds, but debt free after paying hundreds a month for about 3 years

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Never understand why people say they would never by new. Now we are older and have a bit of cash it's nice to buy new and the deprecation on the new vans we have bought has always been very low due to our savy buying.

I said I would never buy new but the right van at the right price was available, with the new price being our budget for second hand and included 5 years hab check so it was a no brainer.

We've never seen another on the second hand market*. As it was built to order we had a few extras like the roof reinforced for the roof rack to carry the kayaks and extra power points for the medical equipment and an auto gear box and a solar panel :) It was also up-plated at our request.

*Actually just seen one (already sold) and the asking price second hand was more than we paid for ours new.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Until recently I always thought that the big vans were purchased by well off folk for cash, but in a conversation with my supplying dealer the other month they said that a large number are purchased on finance.

The week before we picked up our new van a guy bought a £120K MoHo with a £15K deposit and the rest on finance, circa £1,150PCM via Black Horse Finance.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Always finance, make more investing than pay in finance, deals are bonkers - like before the credit crunch - best I saw was price 112k “deposit” 2k.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We’ve only ever paid cash. Luckily we don’t have credit cards or loans (or a mortgage now) helping make other people rich, our last house was bought for cash too.
All due to hard work by both of us for the last 35 years.

Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
I bought a vw air cooled camper at a young age had many great experiences in them,finally ended up with a few splitscreen campers before they got trendy and made loads of money as sold them and got out of the vw scene as turned into a greedy scene,then bought my first motorhome with the money haven't looked back and enjoy my luxury:),lucky i guess.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Always cash, never understood buying anything like a car or motorhome that is depreciating on finance.
If you can afford the repayments you can afford to save.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Until recently I always thought that the big vans were purchased by well off folk for cash, but in a conversation with my supplying dealer the other month they said that a large number are purchased on finance.
Many who appear to be 'well off' (until it's their round) merely have big loans. Some while ago in a money programme I heard that only about 15% (? from memory) of estates are subject to inheritance tax since by the time all loans have been paid the nett balance is below the inheritance tax threshold.
In 1963 had a 3yr £180 finance company loan to buy my first car, a Mini. It died from rust 2 years later, leaving me with 1 year's repayments and I never had a loan again (except a mortgage). Don't even have a credit card. My Dad used to say that if you can't pay 'cash' you can't afford it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back