How do you choose???

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Madmag, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Ratings:
    +377
    Well, where do you start? I have spent since first thing this morning trying to sort some fairly straightforward motorhome insurance. I have a policy but want to change date of renewal so would have to cancel & start a new policy. No problem if the price is right.
    This isn't particularly a request for suggestions as probably there are as many opinions out there as there are policies available. Its more an observation. How on earth do you sort them all out???
    I have the original policy plus 6 others all quoting for what I hope is a like for like policy. My issue is that the price offered ranges from £610 down to £320. Unless I study the fine detail in all the policies I cant really see how to choose. Down to lowest price or nicest/best service by agent who helped me.
    Interesting!

2. Nasher

Nasher Funster

Ratings:
    +685
    IMHO you need to check the small print, regardless of price - sorry!

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,065
    Agree. It's a common topic on here about how different policies have different conditions no matter how much you have specified to get like-for-like quotes.

Start with the cheapest and if it ticks all your boxes, that's the one to get. But make sure you know EXACTLY what you want/need. 'Tis a minefield!

4. chaser

chaser Banned

Ratings:
    +16,497
    and also make sure it is the final price , it is well known for them to find some reason to raise the premium once signed up then charge you to cancel it. been there , done it. i now use nothing but nfu , never the cheapest but no jiggery pokery.

5. Madmag

Madmag Funster

Ratings:
    +377
    Well, I can rule out a more expensive one as we don't need breakdown cover. What I cant work out is how Comfort can quote so much lower than everyone else. I realise it jumps up in very large increments for extra mileage , I think about £60 for 2000 miles but even so, what is the catch. Looks like Ive an awful lot of small print to start wading through.

6. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,065
    Comfort seem to often come out well price-wise (but not for everyone strangely) - it's who I have used for several years and am (almost) completely happy with them. Good to deal with on the phone too.

(The almost is because they've started charging what is to me a ridiculous amount for a Green Card)

Unless you've got breakdown cover with some other arrangement, added to your insurance is always cheaper than standalone.

7. Hymer 1961

Hymer 1961 Funster

Ratings:
    +30
    Comfort Insurance always seem to be competitively priced for us so far. They are great to deal with and because they are Motorhomers they understand what ever is being explained on the phone. Our renewal is due in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed for a good price again.