How do you choose??? (1 Viewer)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Well, where do you start? I have spent since first thing this morning trying to sort some fairly straightforward motorhome insurance. I have a policy but want to change date of renewal so would have to cancel & start a new policy. No problem if the price is right.
This isn't particularly a request for suggestions as probably there are as many opinions out there as there are policies available. Its more an observation. How on earth do you sort them all out???
I have the original policy plus 6 others all quoting for what I hope is a like for like policy. My issue is that the price offered ranges from £610 down to £320. Unless I study the fine detail in all the policies I cant really see how to choose. Down to lowest price or nicest/best service by agent who helped me.
Interesting!

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
IMHO you need to check the small print, regardless of price - sorry!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Agree. It's a common topic on here about how different policies have different conditions no matter how much you have specified to get like-for-like quotes.

Start with the cheapest and if it ticks all your boxes, that's the one to get. But make sure you know EXACTLY what you want/need. 'Tis a minefield!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
and also make sure it is the final price , it is well known for them to find some reason to raise the premium once signed up then charge you to cancel it. been there , done it. i now use nothing but nfu , never the cheapest but no jiggery pokery.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Well, I can rule out a more expensive one as we don't need breakdown cover. What I cant work out is how Comfort can quote so much lower than everyone else. I realise it jumps up in very large increments for extra mileage , I think about £60 for 2000 miles but even so, what is the catch. Looks like Ive an awful lot of small print to start wading through.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Comfort seem to often come out well price-wise (but not for everyone strangely) - it's who I have used for several years and am (almost) completely happy with them. Good to deal with on the phone too.

(The almost is because they've started charging what is to me a ridiculous amount for a Green Card)

Unless you've got breakdown cover with some other arrangement, added to your insurance is always cheaper than standalone.

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Comfort Insurance always seem to be competitively priced for us so far. They are great to deal with and because they are Motorhomers they understand what ever is being explained on the phone. Our renewal is due in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed for a good price again.

Steve and Gill

Free Member
Apr 19, 2018
South Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Two Tours around New Zealand
We had a ring-around for our soon to be delivered first motorhome, Comfort were the cheapest by a not too big margin, possibly as we're not expecting to do too many miles this year. Caravan and Motorhome club were the most expensive by a considerable margin and they appeared to be more interested in the add-ons than the basic insurance.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I am with Comfort, changed the van to a much more expensive one about 4 months into the insurance I just paid the increased sum for the remaining time and paid the full amount on renewal, they always seem fair to me an and always seem to get recomended by funsters (y)

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Comfort no good for us. They were the only company of the very many I contacted that would not accept the make of our immobiliser & tracker & were very unhelpful as to any explanation of why. Just a " well tough " attitude so Ive kicked them into touch.Caravan Guard were very reasonable, better than Comfort on price actually. Not mad a decision yet as still a few months to sort it out. A very interesting & time consuming exercise though. Don't get me started on health/travel insurance............ thats an even longer tale.

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2006
Just went through the whole quote process with Caravan Guard and on the final screen "do you agree..." it included "I bought my vehicle in the UK and it is not imported" - well I didn't and it is, so they won't quote me. Wish that had been in the quote process and not after - grr.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just went through the whole quote process with Caravan Guard and on the final screen "do you agree..." it included "I bought my vehicle in the UK and it is not imported" - well I didn't and it is, so they won't quote me. Wish that had been in the quote process and not after - grr.
I wonder why they don’t like imported vans surely if you buy any of the European vans they will have been imported?
We had a lot of problems recently with getting someone to insure our new Hymer that we imported of course we had to insure firstly on the VIN until registered we ended up with Safeguard as the other two quotes were around £1300 :(

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Adrian Flux for me, about £100 cheaper than all the others

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2006
I wonder why they don’t like imported vans surely if you buy any of the European vans they will have been imported?
We had a lot of problems recently with getting someone to insure our new Hymer that we imported of course we had to insure firstly on the VIN until registered we ended up with Safeguard as the other two quotes were around £1300 :(
I've not had this happen before. I gave them feedback to say how irritating it is not to ask about that in the form itself. No idea why it's a problem that I imported it. I bought it new when euro exchange rates were a lot better than they are now!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We were with Comfort but changed when they baulked at the mileage we anticipated doing. 10K per annum is seen as high by them. As we are likely to do far more than 10K we changed to NFU. NFU don't require a tracker either... another plus as far as we are concerned.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Interestingly I have just moved my MH storage from reasonably secure to super secure and they raised the premium by £41 ! They said it was because of the post code!

Comfort did that with me for exactly the same reason. I went back to them and got them to talk to the underwriter who agreed that no increase was necessary. It turned out that using just the first half of the postcode put me in one of the highest-risk areas in the North East, but insisting they used the whole code, it came up as a CaSSOA Gold site so they were happy.
I asked them to put a note on my file for when renewal time comes around - sure enough at the next renewal the premium rocketed but a quick phone call asking them to look at my file soon sorted it.

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2006
Adrian Flux for me, about £100 cheaper than all the others
Much cheaper for me too after a lot of time spent on the phone (one company had an 'online form' but after completing basic details it said 'thanks! We'll be in touch' (which they haven't) - so much more hassle than any other type of insurance, I guess it's a slightly niche market. Oh and today I got a letter from existing provider, who I'd cancelled with on the phone, saying further to previous letter my insurance was automatically renewing (sigh) ...

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Saga said they couldn't quote me because.............................................

I had a Solar Panel on the roof??????

You couldn't make it up.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We were with Comfort but changed when they baulked at the mileage we anticipated doing. 10K per annum is seen as high by them. As we are likely to do far more than 10K we changed to NFU. NFU don't require a tracker either... another plus as far as we are concerned.
10,000 miles is the highest of their limited mileage rates. But they are perfectly happy to cover me, and I assume everybody else, for unlimited mileage, which they have done. The difference in price between the two they quoted me was very little from memory.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My car insurer couldn't give me a satisfactory reason why my premium had risen by 25% so they got dumped.
They said it was the price on the day, I said I could get a new quote for identical cover using their online system cheaper than last years premium so how could it be today's price.......they couldn't explain.... Goodbye.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back