How close is too close (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
2 of us pulled onto a huge empty car park in Spain, we had decided that we would have a film night and would need to run the generator, so we parked well away from the other motorhomes, something like 200 metres away. Within 10 mins another motorhome pulled up right next to me so being nice I went outside and told them that I would be running the generator for a couple of hours later on, “oh that’s ok“ was the reply. Well when it came time to run the generator out he came and started to complain, I then reminded him what I had said earlier and he can still move anywhere in the still empty car park. He decided to stay and again complained in the morning….I enjoyed the film though.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
With a motorhome you're generally there for the night then gone. Not like parking up a caravan with all the paraphernalia. Nice to be on your own with lots of space but a car park generally attracts people who also want to... park. It's not a camp site.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
We’ve not been able to open our windows on some French Aires in the past due to the close proximity of the next van.
My idea of a good and comfortable night away anywhere is not where I'm so close to the neighbour that I can pass a sarnie from my van to theirs without stepping out! I read somewhere a post by a chap who had the people from a neighbouring van get their barbecue out and use it so close to his van that it scorched the bodywork! I suspect there was a full exchange of views at that point...
We once left a temporary site early because people were crammed in and pitching dangerously close together and the experience was claustrophobic and we felt unsafe. Not to mention we very much DIDN'T enjoy listening to other people's loud conversations/music 2" from our bumpers at 1am.

Aug 14, 2019
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
2020 Bessacarr 597
Exp
Campsites have a 6m rule, if that's what you want.........you pays your money(or not) and makes your choice.
We had a few days at Castleton C&MH club site a few weeks back. Chap next to us had a non awning pitch. Backed his caravan in, put up his awning on his left, then parked his car on the grass on his right next to our awning (we had an awning pitch). Then him and his Mrs put their chairs out on the grass behind his car on our pitch and sunbathed. We were leaving the next day so, although I mentioned it to the site staff, I didn’t kick off but it was a tad snug to say the least with his car wheels inches from my storm pegs . Point being, sometimes even the clubs don’t monitor their spacing too much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I'd just open all my windows and play my 'Best of Des O'Connor' CD.
We were on a stellplatz in France, lots of room one other mh with a family parked one spot from us. Another mh came in, ignored all the spaces and parked between us and the family. He then got out a scooter and noisily whizzed round and round the two mhs. No result so he opened all his windows and doors and played incredibly loud and raucous music (if you could call it that). The family in their mh gave up first and drove off. We followed shortly after. At least it wasn't Des O'Connor!

Feb 29, 2020
Worthing, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute
Exp
We are on a campsite just two weeks ago when a camper pulled next to us (within 4.5 meters) blocking our entire view of the surrounding countryside. The field was huge with only about five units on; none of the other units were within 10 m of each other. I initially thought they had stopped to identify a good pitch and was flabbergasted when they all got out and started setting up!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We were on a stellplatz in France, lots of room one other mh with a family parked one spot from us. Another mh came in, ignored all the spaces and parked between us and the family. He then got out a scooter and noisily whizzed round and round the two mhs. No result so he opened all his windows and doors and played incredibly loud and raucous music (if you could call it that). The family in their mh gave up first and drove off. We followed shortly after. At least it wasn't Des O'Connor!
Was he a German? Probably Careless Hans ... :LOL:

Steve

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
It's strange that motorhomes park closely without leaving gaps yet cars park up and leave a gap in the car park that isn't quite big enough to get another car in. ISTM the whole "I'm parked and stuff anyone who can't find a space." is the prevalent attitude. Most seem incapable of parking properly between lines as well.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
It's strange that motorhomes park closely without leaving gaps yet cars park up and leave a gap in the car park that isn't quite big enough to get another car in. ISTM the whole "I'm parked and stuff anyone who can't find a space." is the prevalent attitude. Most seem incapable of parking properly between lines as well.
Yes I know what you mean, I've got an expensive classic sports car, when I park I always go to a deserted part of the car park and leave it crookedly across two parking places. If I don't some k**bhead parks up close and dings their door into it.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Yes I know what you mean, I've got an expensive classic sports car, when I park I always go to a deserted part of the car park and leave it crookedly across two parking places. If I don't some k**bhead parks up close and dings their door into it.
I think I may be the knobhead who dinged the door of a car parked across 2 spaces ... :unsure:

Steve

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I think I may be the knobhead who dinged the door of a car parked across 2 spaces ... :unsure:

Steve
In Italy if you have a beautiful car, they all respect it and it is safe. In France they ignore it, and it is safe. In Germany and Switzerland there's so many it is safe. In the UK it seems to bring out the worst.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Thats Lytham St Annes. There is another aire further down thats much quieter.
Not always , August bank holiday last year ,what a difference a day makes. to be fair he did move it later.
117235653_341410026881930_3995432050560547183_n.jpg
117333539_594778951184807_2682292038448556649_n (1).jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I never came across the fire service recommendation you speak about during 30 years in the fire service.
Well you mustn't have looked hard enough .

Call yerself a fireman ....pfft 😏

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Having had a MH bricked in Holland once when at the end of a row we often like to park between MHs so if we had been there we may well have been the filling in the sandwich instead. I would say that 5ft is a lot more than you often get on popular aires etc, wanting 5 metres is OTT IMV.
Yep that’s about right if you can get it. Always park ready to pull off in emergency. Drive off rather than reverse.
I personally think there is nothing more annoying when pulling up at an aire/ car park than parking with campsite spacing that makes the last man in look bad.
As has been said you’re lucky in France if you can open your door

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Oddly,looking at the comments! On a relatively empty Aire/Camperstop l wouldn’t look for a remote quiet spot although this is my preference because you cannot choose who your neighbours are or likely to be Knob or nice as they haven’t yet arrived, whereby, if Motorhomes are already parked you can make a decision as to if they are knob or nice and park accordingly and get no surprises later.🤔

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Oddly,looking at the comments! On a relatively empty Aire/Camperstop l wouldn’t look for a remote quiet spot although this is my preference because you cannot choose who your neighbours are or likely to be Knob or nice as they haven’t yet arrived, whereby, if Motorhomes are already parked you can make a decision as to if they are knob or nice and park accordingly and get no surprises later.🤔
Interested how you can decide just by looking at the vans?

May 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy 270
Let me know where you park next and I’ll happily oblige!

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
In Italy if you have a beautiful car, they all respect it and it is safe. In France they ignore it, and it is safe. In Germany and Switzerland there's so many it is safe. In the UK it seems to bring out the worst.
In Italy, Naples, we saw a rather beautiful car looking for a parking space. There wasn't one, but there was a parked motorbike. The rather beautiful car quietly and gently pulled in at an angle to the motorbike and quietly and not so gently edged it out of the parking and into the middle of the road, leaving it lying there on its side. The driver of the rather beautiful car then got out, locked the car, and strode off.

Mar 12, 2021
Renfrew Scotland
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
As long as I can get into my lockers and out my doors I really don’t mind.
But I’m a bit Mutt and Jeff, and I’ve got a weird choice of music.🤷‍♂️

Jan 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1994
I also had 30years in fire service including 10 years in fire safety dept. 6m separation was the distance specified by the code to prevent fire spread between vans.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I also had 30years in fire service including 10 years in fire safety dept. 6m separation was the distance specified by the code to prevent fire spread between vans.
We didn’t tend to use code, we just used plain English. Using code for this type of thing just creates confusion. Using code for building regulations, fire regulations etc is very much an American thing.
If you were in the fire service you should know that fire can easily spread between structures far more than 6 metres apart.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back