How’s This For Penny Pinching? (1 Viewer)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
One of my overhead locker doors appeared to have dropped, so I took a look.

One screw holding it on! All the other lockers have between 2 and 4 screws holding them on, this was the only one that had a solitary screw keeping it from falling off.

Is this the tightest way for the manufacturer to save money or what?:unsure:

8E3B2E4D-2267-4514-A6B2-C4B1CCCF4208.jpeg

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Not sure if they can count to four........luckily I’ve got a good screw collection of my own. :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

One screw holding it on! All the other lockers have between 2 and 4 screws holding them on, this was the only one that had a solitary screw keeping it from falling off.

View attachment 454009
Good quality control,left to the customer to check. (y)

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
There is a pilot hole for a second screw, it just got missed.

Yep. But why are there a selection of one, two, three and four screws in the other lockers? Same size lockers and doors. 🤷‍♂️

Rather sloppy.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Friday afternoon van?

Hope not......:oops:

Back in the seventies the expression 'Friday afternoon car' was in constant use, but research found that the worst cars came off the production line on Tuesday afternoons

So I'm hoping yours isn't a Tuesday afternoon van 🙂

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Sunlight Cliff 600 PVC, based on a Fiat Ducato. (y)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

View attachment 454009
Has the Van ever had a Habitation check? if so ask for your money back (seems far and reasonable to me)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Seriously are some of these posts for real?
It's only a missing screw if that is indeed the cause of the problem. Do we really think that quality control or hab service checks 'every' screw is in place it's not a life critical part of a jet engine.
Factory check or service - locker door in alignment (y) locker door opens and closes (y).
If the photo was taken before any remedial action to tighten the hindge then the addition of an extra screw or 2 would not have made any difference as can be seen from the alignment of the pilot hole.
For what we pay for our leasure vehicles I agree it should not happen but I doubt that the people screwing these parts of our Vans together are highly trained technicians who care very much about what they do.
If it were mine I might be slightly miffed as I expect Sapper520 is but just put a new screw in.

Dec 16, 2017
Funster No
Just because manufacturers fit screws, it doesn't mean that they do anything.
All as bad as each other.

IMG_20210107_114601.jpg

IMG_20210107_114601.jpg

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It's only a missing screw if that is indeed the cause of the problem. Do we really think that quality control or hab service checks 'every' screw is in place it's not a life critical part of a jet engine.
Factory check or service - locker door in alignment (y) locker door opens and closes (y).
If the photo was taken before any remedial action to tighten the hindge then the addition of an extra screw or 2 would not have made any difference as can be seen from the alignment of the pilot hole.
For what we pay for our leasure vehicles I agree it should not happen but I doubt that the people screwing these parts of our Vans together are highly trained technicians who care very much about what they do.
If it were mine I might be slightly miffed as I expect Sapper520 is but just put a new screw in.
Yes my posts are for real, if you are paying for checks and things like this are missed it should be flagged up, you are right its not life threatening and quite serviceable (for a while) but if two crews are supposed to be fitted then two screws it should be. I like to think people enjoy their jobs and take pride in what they do, other wise a 'good enough' culture starts and that's when we start going back to the 70's british Leyland type builds happen.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Think of the weight they are saving :unsure:
Used to do PDI's on cars back in the 70's
Some models were much better put together than others
Used to regularly find parts that didn't belong the particular car tucked away inside
Was told it was a way of smuggling parts out of the factory for resell

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Think of the weight they are saving :unsure:
Used to do PDI's on cars back in the 70's
Some models were much better put together than others
Used to regularly find parts that didn't belong the particular car tucked away inside
Was told it was a way of smuggling parts out of the factory for resell

Johnnie Cash, Once Piece at a Time.

Well, it's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56
'57, '58' 59' automobile

Aug 19, 2020
Wolverhampton
Funster No
MH
Mooveo C6
Exp
I'm a newbie
Johnnie Cash, Once Piece at a Time.

Well, it's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56
'57, '58' 59' automobile
I once worked with a chap who had previously worked at a Ford car factory. They caught an employee trying to leave the building with something in his bag he shouldn't have had. The police searched his home and found a 98% completed Ford Sierra Cosworth which he had assembled in his garage..... he'd even nicked the bodyshell!!

OP
OP
Sapper520

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

The title is a bit flippant.......I’m more concerned about things that I can’t see. 🤷‍♂️

Thousand Euro Media Unit fogging up.......warranty claim in for that.;)

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Maybe they couldn’t comply with the weight so decided a few screws needed to come out :imoutahere:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back