Honda genny sales thread,my friend was scammed. (1 Viewer)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Dodgy stuff Scottish money, our chippy refused to accept it & I once brought Woolworth to a grinding in halt, had to call a supervisor, then a manager, fun if you have time. :LOL:
But despite it p*ssing off Scottish folk Scottish banknotes are only legal currency not legal tender. Only notes issued by Bank of England and coins by Royal Mint are legal tender in UK. 1p and 2p coins are only legal tender up to 20p maximum.
When it happened to us last in England we just walked out and went elsewhere.
Maybe it was a race prejudice thing right enough. It was a white fiver!:whistle2::whistle2::whistle2::wink::wink::wink:

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
If anybody has problems getting rid of Scottish money in engerland. Just send it up to me I’ll send you that funny English stuff in return. 50% handling fee. 👍😷💭🥃

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
This is what we’re planning on doing shortly.
Would I be correct to say once the transfer shows up on our 1st account and we then transfer it to our 2nd account we’re safe.
I’d expect the transfer to be within moments normally would Irish - English be any different?
Came over from Ireland 18 months ago and bought in the UK via MHD. Used fexco to make the payment as irish banks would need 1 to 2 days to process payments. Fexco operate a UK account so money went through in minutes once I gave instruction. Also saved close on 1000euro due to the better exchange rate they had compared to the banks! Spent a very anxious 10min waiting on seller to confirm he had the money..... it's not just the seller gets nervous I can tell you!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
You can have even more fun with Ulster notes. :LOL:
I frequently do when I come back home from a spell in ireland..
Cause chaos in the local morrisons.. :ROFLMAO:
Most other places tell me to do one and just refuse to accept..
Would you accept these :unsure:::bigsmile:
20210305_141317.jpg

Andy

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
I've found Monopoly ones the toughest yet!;):giggle:
Many years ago and working 24/7.
I grabbed a few £20 notes off the dresser so I could fuel up for the trip as I had a long day ahead.
Dashed to the local petrol station about 6.30am filled up and straight to the kiosk.
”You can’t spend that in here mate”🤬 He then handed the notes back😳

Our youngest daughter had drawn and coloured in the blank papers as a something to do🙄
luckily one of the assistants recognised me as a regular and allowed me
to nip home for some real cash without calling the police 👮‍♂️

Wasn’t even slightly funny at the time😢

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Dodgy stuff Scottish money, our chippy refused to accept it & I once brought Woolworth to a grinding in halt, had to call a supervisor, then a manager, fun if you have time. :LOL:
Try getting rid of a Scottish pound note in a shop 😂

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Many years ago and working 24/7.
I grabbed a few £20 notes off the dresser so I could fuel up for the trip as I had a long day ahead.
Dashed to the local petrol station about 6.30am filled up and straight to the kiosk.
”You can’t spend that in here mate”🤬 He then handed the notes back😳

Our youngest daughter had drawn and coloured in the blank papers as a something to do🙄
luckily one of the assistants recognised me as a regular and allowed me
to nip home for some real cash without calling the police 👮‍♂️

Wasn’t even slightly funny at the time😢
and you think we're gonna believe that it was a genuine mistake! Aye right.;):giggle:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
& there was me thinking that it is just the Scots full stop that were viewed as dodgy by our nearest neighbours? :imoutahere: :roflmto:

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
This is what we’re planning on doing shortly.
Would I be correct to say once the transfer shows up on our 1st account and we then transfer it to our 2nd account we’re safe.
I’d expect the transfer to be within moments normally would Irish - English be any different?
Transfers from Allied Irish Bank still take an hour or two to process.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Thanks mcb 2hrs is fine by me but getting mixed messages so just wanted to find out how it all works in advance 👍

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Did you photograph the buyer?
2nd phone maybe just pay you go.
However the phone number you used can be tracked down to who bought the sim. This is all post 9/11.

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Some of you may have saw the post I made for my friends who have sold their van and had a couple of items for sale that I posted on here, well he was conned by someone. Here is his post from another site,

I Know, I know, we should have known better and we did take precautions and even used a bank account with very little money.
We were selling a Honda Geny on Gumtree and insisted on bank transfer even refused cash offers!
The Scam
A guy messaged and was coming from Manchester, some 36 miles away
He arrived to buy and did not try to knock the price down (WARNING SIGN)
Agreed to pay by bank transfer and showed me on his phone that he had sent the payment in full.
As we know, it can take a couple hours to go through and he was not prepared to wait.
He insisted that I checked his phone to see the money had been sent and it had.
He offered that we could photograph him and his new BMW , silly me just photographed the car.
The money never came to my bank account
The strange thing is that he was carrying two phones for a transaction that only took about 15 minutes, I wonder if the second phone could in any way divert his payment or was it just maybe used as a router.
After the money did not arrive, I checked his car on DVLA and the colour was wrong.
Police have been notified and their interest shot up when I mentioned the car colour was different.
Now anybody else selling BEWARE.
The car was a beige BMW 520 D, reg number YH69TPX
The man a young black haired Irish accent (makes me wonder) knew motorhomes, and said he had a Roller Team with a U shape lounge. Even knew the model number and said his father had a van.
Talked about the ferry to Santander and Dieppe
He certainly talked the talk was very clean and polite
Just beware of this scam and again I know it was my fault, and it did go against my knowledge
I prefer to call them 'Theives' !....look for them in the nearest 'traveller' site !

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Contacting the Rac call centre is truly a horrendous experience expect to be waiting for at least 40 mins !

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Wrong thread sorry 😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries