Help with My Sleeping Arrangements (1 Viewer)

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hiya All,
I'm hoping to pick your brains please.
Ive just got myself my first motor home an Elddis Autoquest 350s 1996 model. Doris!

I bought it with the hope of sleeping above the cab up out of the way so as not to have to keep making up my bed downstairs!

There are two long cushion type things up there covered in the same material as the seating downstairs (lol you can tell I'm a real Newbie! Lol :D) one is removalable and the other is screwed down. I was advised to put a memory foam mattress on top which I did, and after buying a ladder to get up there I find there's not much room to turn.

So, what do you guys do and what do you suggest?
Can the cushions up there be 'unfixed' and taken down or is that not a good plan. The memory mattress is aprx. 3" deep.

Many thanks for reading and hopefully receiving your replies.
Cheers
Joy

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Our old 2010 Elddis 145 had an overcab bed with similar cushions / make shift mattresses, although neither were screwed down & we too used a memory foam topper & found the headroom sufficient to turn over, but I guess the headroom may be less in yours ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Our old 2010 Elddis 145 had an overcab bed with similar cushions / make shift mattresses, although neither were screwed down & we too used a memory foam topper & found the headroom sufficient to turn over, but I guess the headroom may be less in yours ?

Thanks @MH 55 FUN I will have another 'feel' of it now I have the ladder fixed to get up there!! It was also one of the sunniest, hottest days I gave it a try, so that may not have helped as it was SO hot up there! Lol
Thanks again.

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Quote I was just about to say that the heat up there might be a bit much. Me thinks I'd use the lower bed in the hot weather & the over cab bed in cooler weather. I also think I'd unscrew & remove the fixed parts of the bedding, then go for the memory foam mattress.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Help with My Sleeping Arrangements

Yeah, I could do that, oh, hang on a goddam minute.:doh:

I have to admit I was starting to get all excited when I read the title, you girls sure know how to toy with a guys affections! :Eeek:

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Thanks @MH 55 FUN I will have another 'feel' of it now I have the ladder fixed to get up there!! It was also one of the sunniest, hottest days I gave it a try, so that may not have helped as it was SO hot up there! Lol
Thanks again.

You may find with a little more experience that making / unmaking the rear lounge bed becomes much quicker & easier, I think we managed to have it done in 5 minutes after a few weeks of ownership & yes, overcab beds can get hot in warmer weather.

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I used to sleep in the overcab on the measly 1" thick foam 'mattress' that came with the van, in the days before memory foam toppers.

Just be careful not to sit up suddenly and almost knock yourself out - I speak from experience on that! :)

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Just remember that motorhomes are imperfect beasts, they are designed by people with personality defects who think others want to sleep on shelves facing up to a ceiling about six inches from their noses. It is not just your comfort that is at stake here, it is the opportunity to strike a blow against the idiot designers who think that blue leds or the ability to seat 6 people around the postage stamp of a dining table makes a motorhome rather than a comfortable night's sleep or the ability to have a shower without having to balance on one foot or take a crap without standing upright.

Unless of course your name happens to be Eddie, and you own a palace on wheels with a separate flat for servants, a full wine cellar, two lifeboats, a putting green on the roof and a helicopter landing pad! ;)

There's a reason why so many people out there are offering after-market accessories to make your life easier. Some would argue it amounts to no more than deciding whether you want a silk lined coffin or Egyptian cotton, but ignore them, half the fun of motorhoming is to spend every penny you have on vastly overpriced accessories. You can buy airconditioning units that rely on substantial mains supplies (no bloody good most of the time, as the power supply isn't up to it) or generators that you can't use because the person in the next van has promised to rip your lungs out if you start it up. Hell, you can even buy 12v kettles that take 45 minutes to boil enough water for a cup of tea, or a 12V hairdryer that is as ineffective as trying to grill toast over an led light. Some people even put tents on the side as a sign of territorial supremacy, whilst flying flags to let itinerants know where to nick bits for their own transits. As for folding chairs, the laws of decency prohibit me for saying what I think about the bastard contraptions

I agree with the posters here. Kipping on the upper deck when it is boiling hot is almost impossible, even when comatose with alcohol. And for cooler days, take out the quasi mattress effort and replace it with your own. Spend your money on gin and make sure that Popeye isn't lurking around the area

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you all for all the tips! Doris has a rear kitchen @MH 55 FUN lol so no room for me there! but I'm impressed with the speed you hit the sack! I may have to stay on the lower deck after all and suffer two dogs sharing my duvet!

I've taken note of your wise comments @pyro, and on reflection the money I was going to spend on a microwave oven would buy an awful lot of gin and maybe a couple of bottles of tonics ? Lol

Since further inspection of the hotbed aloft I've noticed the skylight above it Is in need of replacing .... badly! It's dripping water after a storm and I've noticed it's been a tad 'patched up'!
Now, how and where do I get that fixed / replaced? Perhaps I should ask in a new thread?

Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0
Apr 16, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mli570
Exp
Getting better
Welcome to a real fun forum, although I'm not sure I'd have had enough knowledge to class 'wizzer59 and Popeye' as 2 dogs LOL.
Have fun in your new second home.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
@joy-Joy I woild make getting your rooflight sorted your priority, so another thread will be best, or try a search, it is not an uncommon problem but can be a biggie if left.
Oops welcome, I slept in our overcab when we had the escape, but inreally hot weather slept downstairs. dont have a downsatirs in this van, well abed that is, and floor is a funny shape, have tried sleeping there but not a success.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
come and try mine:sneaky:

Hold your wrist out for a Slappin'

slap wrist.jpg

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well with your avatar and the post heading .. you should be inundated with offers of help .. :) .... what an interesting thread this is going to be.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Well with your avatar and the post heading .. you should be inundated with offers of help .. :) .... what an interesting thread this is going to be.
Not all of us men are ageing Quagmire impersonating sexist lothario's, don't you know.

I have responded well to my medication, and I can now manage to keep my trousers on and stop fiddling with myself for up to 90 minutes at a time. If they keep up with the shock treatment, the doctor reckons he may be able to get me to manage a whole morning.

Shame on you for judging us all the same....

giggity....

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Joy, with regards getting the roof light fixed, give Family Travel Centre in Bristol a ring. They are a really helpful small motor home sales/repair company in Brislington, between Bristol and Bath. They replaced the inside liner of our Heki roof light (which we bought ourselves from Brownhills) and made a nice job of it. You may have to source the hatch yourself, but they make a good job of fixing it in.

Hope you get the bed sorted soon - from another over cab sleeper - it gets bleddy hot up there - ide give anything for a roof hatch!

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I've taken note of your wise comments @pyro, and on reflection the money I was going to spend on a microwave oven would buy an awful lot of gin and maybe a couple of bottles of tonics ? Lol

:)

Thanks again for your help!

Hi Joy, I see you have mentioned microwave, unless you intend being mostly on electric hook up, it's unlikely you will get a lot of use out of one, there are lots of alternatives you find as you go along, we have had our van 13 years only 3 gas rings no grill and there is not any meal I can't find a way to cook. Do you have a solar panel fitted so many benefits from one of those.
I know I've strayed from the bed making but this often happens on fun threads. :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forget a microwave, do a search on the forum for "double skillet" without the quotes ... much more useful!

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have a microwave and don't have a double skillet. We don't use the microwave that often though, but do regularly use the gas oven.
It would be a funny world if we were all the same, especially if we were all like some on here:D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Welcome to a real fun forum, although I'm not sure I'd have had enough knowledge to class 'wizzer59 and Popeye' as 2 dogs LOL.
Have fun in your new second home.

Oops! I see what you mean @Jimbo50 !! LOL but thanks for the welcome! And I may have to change my avatar photo and use photos of My two dogs LOL and treble check my wording as @movan hinted I may get too many of the wrong dogs replying! OH but what the heck, life's too short for this old granny to worry about being serious! We all need a good laugh and looks like I'm 'it' !!! Hello Campers! From an old Wrinkly! Lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have a microwave and don't have a double skillet. We don't use the microwave that often though, but do regularly use the gas oven.
It would be a funny world if we were all the same, especially if we were all like some on here:D

Thank you I was wondering if a microwave would actually work or if it would take longer than an oven to heat things as someone here suggested that electrical gadgets can be slow. I've not tried my oven yet, early days! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Joy, with regards getting the roof light fixed, give Family Travel Centre in Bristol a ring. They are a really helpful small motor home sales/repair company in Brislington, between Bristol and Bath. They replaced the inside liner of our Heki roof light (which we bought ourselves from Brownhills) and made a nice job of it. You may have to source the hatch yourself, but they make a good job of fixing it in.

Hope you get the bed sorted soon - from another over cab sleeper - it gets bleddy hot up there - ide give anything for a roof hatch!

Oh thanks so much Geraldine for that info! I go to Bristol sometimes, my old home town, so that's worth knowing! I will check out Brownhills to see if they have the part I need, ... I don't want to be rained on!
Cheers
Joy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Not all of us men are ageing Quagmire impersonating sexist lothario's, don't you know.

I have responded well to my medication, and I can now manage to keep my trousers on and stop fiddling with myself for up to 90 minutes at a time. If they keep up with the shock treatment, the doctor reckons he may be able to get me to manage a whole morning.

Shame on you for judging us all the same....

giggity....

:LOL::LOL::LOL: I hope it works for you or you may need a 'get out of jail' card! Lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie

Hmm it wasn't supposed to be That interesting! A newbies big mistake!! Lol But I have had a couple of useful replies as well as a good laugh!
Quote 'Made an old lady very happy!' Lol :giggler:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back