Help with My Sleeping Arrangements (1 Viewer)

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hiya All,
I'm hoping to pick your brains please.
Ive just got myself my first motor home an Elddis Autoquest 350s 1996 model. Doris!

I bought it with the hope of sleeping above the cab up out of the way so as not to have to keep making up my bed downstairs!

There are two long cushion type things up there covered in the same material as the seating downstairs (lol you can tell I'm a real Newbie! Lol :D) one is removalable and the other is screwed down. I was advised to put a memory foam mattress on top which I did, and after buying a ladder to get up there I find there's not much room to turn.

So, what do you guys do and what do you suggest?
Can the cushions up there be 'unfixed' and taken down or is that not a good plan. The memory mattress is aprx. 3" deep.

Many thanks for reading and hopefully receiving your replies.
Cheers
Joy

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm looking forward to just tootling about with my fur kids, painting, journaling, not doing too much of anything!
Don't really want to hang out in campsites but looks like I need to for link up electric. Hey ho!
I'm just very chuffed to have Doris and this new adventure ahead of me!

You make it sound Magical, I really do hope it works really well for you and the Furry kids, what are they by the way?

ps most of the original art on my walls are watercolour, my brothers work not mine, I couldn't Draw a Bath!

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Nice to meet you @SGNV if that's what it's called! Lol
And Fellow artist! Do you have a website? I've never really got round to it, started a blog once but ran out of time! I'm on Etsy but I'm a leisure painter these days, no hassle!

I wanted an overhead sleeping arrangement to keep the dogs out of my bed! Lol and keep 'downstairs' for eating and painting and enjoying my cuppa!
I used to paint only in watercolours, they are still my passion, very loose and wet in wet, now I'm into oils in a big way, so I'm going to need loads of storage space! Lol
Flew to France last year with art gear, no room hardly for any clothes! Lol
I'm looking forward to just tootling about with my fur kids, painting, journaling, not doing too much of anything!
Don't really want to hang out in campsites but looks like I need to for link up electric. Hey ho!
I'm just very chuffed to have Doris and this new adventure ahead of me!
Cheers
Joy

Website? Crumbs, very much leisure painter, not really necessary to subject too many people to what I end up with. I'm a great fan of CL/CS's, many come with hook up, but I don't need that in summer, so can go for the really basic ones. Just had a few days on the Medway estuary sketching lots of mud. Tend to do a lot of my painting outside, even in winter. Have fun and enjoy the adventures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I too want to know what the 'kids' are ... c'mon, post some photos, we love dog photos! (y)

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Just popping in to say hi & welcome @JoyJoy as I missed your intro thread. You seem to be getting to grips with things & I can see you've realised there's quite a bit of banter that goes on.

Hope you think about joining us on one of our meets, they're good fun:) the smaller ones are nice as it gives more opportunities to chat to everyone.

In the meantime your next challenge is to learn how to post photos.....picture paints a thousand words and all that(y):LOL:

Enjoy:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Website? Crumbs, very much leisure painter, not really necessary to subject too many people to what I end up with. I'm a great fan of CL/CS's, many come with hook up, but I don't need that in summer, so can go for the really basic ones. Just had a few days on the Medway estuary sketching lots of mud. Tend to do a lot of my painting outside, even in winter. Have fun and enjoy the adventures.

Ah an en plein air gal? All those gorgeous colours in mud! Wonderful! I paint anything that catches my eye, indoors, outdoors, just love being 'arty'! lol I used to pot to as I've a pottery here but not done any for a couple of years, clay gets heavier by the year! I did domesticware, outdoor pots and sculpture and I do miss getting mucky! Perhaps I should just paint mud! Lol

What is it your a fan of! CL/CS's or am I having a senior moment or just plain thick? No don't answer the latter just enlighten me on the CL stuff! Lol

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
CLs and CSs are the 5 van sites associated with the Caravan & Motorhome Club (CMC) and the Camping and Caravan Club (CCC) respectively.

We used to belong to both but prefer the the CCC as they also run rallies and Temp Holiday Sites (THS) which you don't usually need to book.

Denise

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Ah an en plein air gal? All those gorgeous colours in mud! Wonderful! I paint anything that catches my eye, indoors, outdoors, just love being 'arty'! lol I used to pot to as I've a pottery here but not done any for a couple of years, clay gets heavier by the year! I did domesticware, outdoor pots and sculpture and I do miss getting mucky! Perhaps I should just paint mud! Lol

What is it your a fan of! CL/CS's or am I having a senior moment or just plain thick? No don't answer the latter just enlighten me on the CL stuff! Lol

Whoops, sorry, look at it, I've only had the van for 5 months and I know some of the jargon already... They are the small 5 van sites of the clubs, camping and caravanning calls them certificated sites (CS), the caravan and motorhome club CL, certificated location. You have to be a member to be able to use them. I feel more comfortable on them than wild camping. Some of them are in lovely locations. You have to be a member to use them. Campsites can be ok in winter when there's less people about.
And yes, bit of a plein air fan, even in winter. Did my first, ever so timid, plein air sketch just about a year ago.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Nice to meet you to @Minxy Girl and @Debs and @Popeye and @SGNV
I'm hoping to join in more fun as this seems a really nice crowd of funsters, especially as there seems to be fellow artists and dog lovers too!

Besides being the new proud owner of Doris, all of a couple of weeks ownership and a first, so a newbie in every way!

And since April I've got two new fur babies, Rocco, a Jack Russell x chihuahua possibly and a Shih tzu x terrier called Poppy. Both rescues, both have issues, but all my dogs over the years have been rescues! Rocco has fear aggression. I got him from Battersea Dogs Home after he had been found in a bin bag and more than likely been badly kicked! So luckily I've loads of love and patience for him and with me he is just so adorable and loving! Yep, He will be fine!

My last rescue, a black and white Jack Russell Lucy died last year aged 19 years and I said Never again! ..... again! Lol
Ive not done a painting of Poppy yet as I keep running out of time! But here's a photo of her, a painting of Rocco the white one, and another oil painting of my gorgeous Lucy who I still miss !! She's tugging on her fav fluffy toy! Oh, and Max my black n white cat!
IMG_6672.jpg
IMG_4442.JPG
IMG_4543.PNG
IMG_5964.PNG
IMG_4548.JPG
IMG_6672.jpg
IMG_6719.jpg
IMG_4673.JPG
IMG_6533.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
You make it sound Magical, I really do hope it works really well for you and the Furry kids, what are they by the way?

ps most of the original art on my walls are watercolour, my brothers work not mine, I couldn't Draw a Bath!

Thanks for your good wishes @Popeye ! I'm really looking forward to the next chapter in this life's journey! A first MH, two new to me rescue dogs and some time to enjoy all I hope!
I've had my little Yaris car since new,she's ten years old and I've done 39,500 miles!! So it's about time I got out more!! Lol
So watch this space! Lol :roflmto:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi @JoyJoy a photo and inner dimensions of the damaged skylight would help us to help you. They only come in a few standard sizes and dependant on type and damage can be easily sourced and replaced. the simplest being a replacement cover for the push up type that takes 10 minutes to change

they can be sourced loads of places but I recommend @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes who are very helpful and will post the replacement out to you and offer members a discount

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Well done for getting the photos on @JoyJoy . Many many dog owners on the forum (me included:LOL:)

It's true what the big one says, always helps to post pics of anything you need some help with - and you'll find there'll almost always be someone on here, whatever time of day or night....if you're lucky you might even get a sensible answer or two:LOL:

Your paintings look really good:)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Absolutely love the painting of Lucy ... adorable!

Now, back to the sleeping arrangements ... why not use the overcab as a dog bed at night? We did that when we hired a MH many years ago - tried sleeping in it ourselves and it was awful, we 'moved' onto the downstairs bed and the dogs then sleep in the overcab ... kept the little monsters 'captive' so they couldn't sneak into our bed ... might need to put some sort of barrier on though to keep them there seeing as they terrier crosses! We've got a cross JR/Chi and she's a little devil at times ... called Tazzy ... after the Tasmanian Devil!:D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi @JoyJoy a photo and inner dimensions of the damaged skylight would help us to help you. They only come in a few standard sizes and dependant on type and damage can be easily sourced and replaced. the simplest being a replacement cover for the push up type that takes 10 minutes to change

they can be sourced loads of places but I recommend @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes who are very helpful and will post the replacement out to you and offer members a discount
Hello @TheBig1. I will try and find the thread I posted photos and dimensions on, they are around here somewhere! I've been chatting to @jollyrodger about my problem, all you guys are so helpful I'm overwhelmed!

Thank you for the info.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie

Now, back to the sleeping arrangements ... why not use the overcab as a dog bed at night? We did that when we hired a MH many years ago - tried sleeping in it ourselves and it was awful, we 'moved' onto the downstairs bed and the dogs then sleep in the overcab ... kept the little monsters 'captive' so they couldn't sneak into our bed ... might need to put some sort of barrier on though to keep them there seeing as they terrier crosses! We've got a cross JR/Chi and she's a little devil at times ... called Tazzy ... after the Tasmanian Devil!:D
Hey what a good idea! And I love your little devils name! Lol :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well done for getting the photos on @JoyJoy . Many many dog owners on the forum (me included:LOL:)

It's true what the big one says, always helps to post pics of anything you need some help with - and you'll find there'll almost always be someone on here, whatever time of day or night....if you're lucky you might even get a sensible answer or two:LOL:

Your paintings look really good:)

Thank you! I'm amazed at the help so far, truly amazing! The photos n stuff I posted on another thread someplace! Lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hey what a good idea! And I love your little devils name! Lol :D

Ps. Lucy was just adorable ! :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
These are our monsters:

Tazzy on the left, Romy in the middle (cross Staffie/Greyhound) and Lily on the right (Patterdale) ... Lily was named after Lily Savage! :D2

dogs 2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Joy, I see you have mentioned microwave, unless you intend being mostly on electric hook up, it's unlikely you will get a lot of use out of one, there are lots of alternatives you find as you go along, we have had our van 13 years only 3 gas rings no grill and there is not any meal I can't find a way to cook. Do you have a solar panel fitted so many benefits from one of those.
I know I've strayed from the bed making but this often happens on fun threads. :)

Hello Carol, thank you for your help on the above. One more question about your post, Solar Panels ...... I need more info please. I looked on Amazon but it's all gobblygooks! lol I would like to not have to be hooked up overnight so maybe the solar panel is the way but will it be enough to run a fridge and lights? And which one to buy?
Cheers :)

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Joy ... have you been a member once before? Your photo is familiar ...

Re solar panels perhaps @andy63 could give you some advice ... size of panel, approximate cost, best person to put ghem on for jou, etc.

Do you have one or two leisure batteries?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Joy ... have you been a member once before? Your photo is familiar ...

Re solar panels perhaps @andy63 could give you some advice ... size of panel, approximate cost, best person to put ghem on for jou, etc.

Do you have one or two leisure batteries?

Oh @movan I can tell your a knowledgeable gal, but excuse my higgorance but how do I know if I've got one or two l batteries?
Thank you for the @andy63 link I will ask him.

Re photo, no ive only just joined. Where are you from? I've been around .... living and working in different places! This photo was taken last summer while in France on an art holiday ... were you there? Your photo looks familiar too! Lol :)

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh @movan I can tell your a knowledgeable gal, but excuse my higgorance but how do I know if I've got one or two l batteries?
Thank you for the @andy63 link I will ask him.

Re photo, no ive only just joined. Where are you from? I've been around .... living and working in different places! This photo was taken last summer while in France on an art holiday ... were you there? Your photo looks familiar too! Lol :)

In another dimensional world?????? :)

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Joy @movan ,and joy @JoyJoy ,you two don't mind me I'll just get a word in when I can..:D
Happy to give my views and help if I can joy..
Not sure what it is as I haven't followed the thread but re your batteries and how many....it would be best to physically check to see what you have and not rely on a book... bear in mind they could be in separate locations so may be better to get someone to check for you if your not sure what you are looking for..
Re solar and sizes again will depend on roof space
Which would need checking...
There will be no shortage of help if you ask the questions....
Andy...

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@JoyJoy your best bet is to get yourself along to one of the meets/shows and stay with the funsters and you'll get lots and lots of advice and help, rather than us all guessing what you have/need etc ... you might even be able to 'wangle' some of the more hand-on funsters to do some stuff for you (hands-on your MH that is ... not you! :X3:).

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi @JoyJoy just picked your post up, as had just been mentioned lots of Motorhome shows coming up and you can usually get Solar Panels fitted while at a show. It's not a job I think you would tackle yourself usually it's only our @Minxy Girl that very able do that kind of thing.
If you click on the search and put Solar Panel in you will get a good idea what they are all about, I just know they are one of the best bits of equipment on the van, we have been in Morocco for a couple of months without being on Electric hook up thanks to Solar.
Another way start a thread help Solar Panel, you'll get lots of help, once you have one that's it, we have had ours on the van 12 years never have to do anything just use it, though make sure you have a battery master fitted at the same time, that will keep your vehicle battery topped up as well as your leisure from the Solar Panel. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Yes ..start saving

Solar panel and battery master
Extra leisure battery if you only have one and you have space
Refillable gas bottles from Gaslo in Thirsk ..will save you a fortune, eventually.
Reversing camera if your van is long
Van Bitz burglar alarm.

.........:) ..... pepper spray :) ....

Come along and meet everybody .. you will receive so much help ... and the lovely @andy63 is so kind and helpful and a gentleman, we all adore him.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JoyJoy

JoyJoy

Free Member
May 10, 2017
South West England
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Joy @movan ,and joy @JoyJoy ,you two don't mind me I'll just get a word in when I can..:D
Happy to give my views and help if I can joy..
Not sure what it is as I haven't followed the thread but re your batteries and how many....it would be best to physically check to see what you have and not rely on a book... bear in mind they could be in separate locations so may be better to get someone to check for you if your not sure what you are looking for..
Re solar and sizes again will depend on roof space
Which would need checking...
There will be no shortage of help if you ask the questions....
Andy...

Thanks Andy! Your obviously the kind gentleman I've been told about and coming in halfway through a conversation is tricky at best, but you dun good! Lol Many tahs! And thanks to Joy , @Carol and @Minxy Girl for your help too!
I'm going to try and get to the next meet in Dorset if my man eating dog will promise not to bite anyone! He's a disturbed but loveable (with me) Battersea rescue dog and it may just be too soon for him as I've only had him a few weeks and he needs time to learn that he won't be hurt again!
Perhaps I should stock up with loads of shin guards in case I have offers of help !! :):D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back