LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
gus-lopez. So sorry to hear about your breakdown Richard (been there and done that sadly), but hope that you can soon be on your way today, with the car hire sorted out by ADAC. (y)

Commiserations to you and yours re your wedding anniversary. :(

Good luck with it all. (y)

Jock. :)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Indeed, and then if it is a P O S it may well blow up too!!

All the best getting home Richard.
gus-lopez aint no fool.. Yer, he might buy one that is fubah but knowing Gus he comes across as more than a bit mechanically savvy so I should think him a bit above that..
Could even buy a posher later car any way ,.. still sell it when home

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Sorry to hear this Richard, possibly the only thing on that engine you haven’t checked or changed ?
As you know we’re in Spain but not on the move till 1st July and heading your way so if your still around and need any help I’ll be happy too give any assistance I can. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Hi Richard, I’m sure you will find a way to sort your problem, you could try the following, it’s pretty self explanatory but you enter your requirements ie: you & best mate want to get from your current destination to UK and await a response, I have heard good reports.
Hope it helps. Brian.

Broken Link Removed

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Something not mentioned so far .. Why not buy a P.O.S. for a few hundred €, drive it home, then flog it ? Proly work out a lot cheaper in the long run :)
I said that up there ^^^^^^

I broke down in Essex once , bought a Renault Megane off gumtree for £300 drove it home to Scotland on £50 diesel sold it for £650 .8 days later

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Thank's for the update. I was wondering how he was getting on.
Brian

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Sorry to read of your situation Richard and wish I was in a position to help. You have helped so many Funsters, me included, I hope you are sorted by now.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Richard safe travels for you and Alfie.
I’m with John , you helped us out so kindly in March I wish we could reciprocate.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Richard safe travels for you and Alfie.
I’m with John , you helped us out so kindly in March I wish we could reciprocate.
Me too ...Richard has helped me out a lot while I've been in Spain, I'd have liked to return the favour.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I bet Alfie’s a bit beside himself and probably thinking “Are we nearly there yet dad”

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Only just read this thread. Sorry to hear about your breakdown woes. :(

Hope you make it home OK and are able to get the van repaired without too much expense - although, by the sound of it, I suspect that might be unlikely... :(

Best of luck in any case. (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just read this. I hope you and Alfie are now back home safely. What a bad couple of days it must have been.

Hope the van repair isn't too sore in the pocket.

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry I thought i Ha d posted somewhere that I got back at 5pm last night.
Can't fault ADAC so far. mix up with car hire Monday was as much fault mine as theirs. They waited for a call back from local Hertz office & I , as I found out later should have been back on to them sooner. So the lad on the reception at the Fiat garage booked me a room at an IBIS hotel. I was panicking re ; the dog but as funsters on here stated later they are accepted everywhere & even at the hotel the receptionist when telling me about restaurant times pointed out that it was perfectly acceptable to take the dog in.
When I rang ADAC again asking re ; the car & they apologised & stated they were waiting for the local office to call back which they hadn't & by then had gone home. more panic set in with me starting this thread re; car hire one way. As Hertz had been mentioned by the Adac people ,6 getting nowhere with most of the others I went on the 'Hertz Int:com' site filled in to get "vehicles available" ring for price. Which I did. The Girl in America, yes I kid you not, sorted it out in no time, pointing out that I could cancel at any time by letting them know if ADAC sorted there one. unlimited mileage & although I hired it originally from 10am Tuesday with 10am drop off at the Murcia office, If returned earlier I only pay for the days. Price wasn't unreasonable apart from the 450€ return fee. ADAC pay a maximum of 500€ & also a max of 48 hours rental. I checked with the adac lad monday night asking would they pay if I booked it & he stated it wasn't a problem.

Tuesday we got a cab to the Hertz office at the train station. Again no problem whatsoever with Alfie in the vehicle.
the lad at the Hertz office sorted it & although I had been given a price I knew I would have to pay the cdw Etc; on top. Whilst at the counter Sylvie, who I started dealing with at the begining & who sorted the grua & where I was,etc; , said she had just texted that they had deposited the bond with the office against the rental. So all good. ?
I checked this moring when dropping off with the chap that it was actually against the account & he stated that yes itwas showing the ADAC payment. The actual amount I am going to be charge won't be known for a couple of days. If it wasn't for the 450€ return fee the cost to me would have been negligible or nothing at all. The hotel ADAC will pay for when I submit the receipt along with the taxi ,if I had asked for a receipt:RollEyes::D

As to the Fiat garage nothing but praise as although they were prepared to investigate, adac told them not to as they would recover it back to Spain. The lad on the reception , apart from speaking good English, couldn't do enough to assist. Rang hotel to find accommodation & whether ok for dog. Free coffee's water etc, Having booked the hotel he then offered a lift as it was on his way home.
Hertz were excellent to deal with both on the phone & at both offices. All & every bit of damage was already noted down & pointed out in France & this end the lad said they rarely worry unless bits are hanging off. Also the fuel, full to full, when they check as long as any fuel they put in is under 3€ there is no charge.
From breaking down ringing Germany ,they contact local office who rang me back ascertained where I was & contacted recovery , then phoned to say how long. Funny thing was when he arrived & checked & found belt loose , hooked up the front on the lft , the journey to the garage was less than 3 minutes,literally being immediately in the industrial estate behind where I broke down.

I was also fortunate to come across people who spoke good english, as my French is non existent, & were pleased to use it.
In all honesty although I knew ADAC would recover the van I had completely forgotten that theyre were additional benefits & that they would pay for a lot of the other costs. It wasn't that I knew & asked but that they volunteered everything at the outset & that was with three different contact people. If I had waited the car would have been sorted without any input from me although there would still have been a payable cost by me.
Can't fault Hertz online, on the phone & at both offices. & even the lad doing the valeting at the drop off spoke better English than me; once he'd got his head around the fact that the car was French ,I was english but lived here.

All I now have to hope that the van is recovered within the period stated , 3 to 4 weeks & that it arrives with all that had to be left inside.:crying1:
I have asked the Fiat receptionist to let me know when it is collected, so that I at least know it is on its way. I have also emailed ADAC asking them the same & also is there any notification of arrival?
One think that I would point out is that when ADAC recover to a home country the designated drop off has to be a registered garage. You cannot have it taken to your house. Additionally if not notified to them within a couple of days ADAC won't cover the storage costs at the garage . So I had to supply them with details of a garage here which will accept it & then I will recover it from there to our house. I will post final outcome ,etc, when all is done.

I bet Alfie’s a bit beside himself and probably thinking “Are we nearly there yet dad”
He hasn't got over standing at the roadside wearing his reflective jacket.

I must admit when we arrived home & I opened the car door he appeared most surprised that we were back were we started.:giggle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Another thing they told me & I have just remembered is that they will not recover a vehicle that has spare gas bottles in .They would have to be left behind. built in tanks & refillables are classed as ok. also any type of fuel in containers is a no -no. all gas has to be turned off at tank or cylinder valve all perishable food has to be removed & fridge off , obvious if gas off but if a compressor one it has to be off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back