LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
We are parked up at The Kelpies and have lost all 12v to our Hymer B544. So no lights, heating, water and cannot retract the electric step.
We have checked all the fuses in the transformer rectifier - all ok. The leisure battery has a full charge, and the inline fuse is ok.
We have tried all the local motorhome/caravan repairers and the couple that are open cannot help - they reckon the edl 99 is the problem.
We are due to spend Hogmanay at Scone c&cc but need to retract the step before we can do anything else.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We are parked up at The Kelpies and have lost all 12v to our Hymer B544. So no lights, heating, water and cannot retract the electric step.
We have checked all the fuses in the transformer rectifier - all ok. The leisure battery has a full charge, and the inline fuse is ok.
We have tried all the local motorhome/caravan repairers and the couple that are open cannot help - they reckon the edl 99 is the problem.
We are due to spend Hogmanay at Scone c&cc but need to retract the step before we can do anything else.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Does your step retract automatically when you start the engine? Some motorhomes do. Might get you on the road in the interim.
As for the root cause?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You'll just have to trace the 12v power away from the battery until you find the break.
It could be the relay stuck that switches off power when the ignition is on.

OP
OP
triclops

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
No, the step has a rocker switch to operate it.

OP
OP
triclops

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
You'll just have to trace the 12v power away from the battery until you find the break.
It could be the relay stuck that switches off power when the ignition is on.
There is power from the leisure battery to the edl, and all the plugs and fuses are ok.
As suggested it seems the edl has a fault

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you checked the main 50 amp fuse, a Maxi blade fuse normally mounted next to the leisure battery, also next to the 50 amp fuse there is a 2 amp blade fuse if that one is blown I don't think the EBL will turn on.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Does sound like a main fuse /link gone somewhere...but i dont know your set up. If you can not get a 12v supply to the step closing wire on the motor from a battery using jumper wires then you will have to disconnect the motor drive to the step linkage and tie the step up... releasing the motor isnt normally difficult after removing the plastic cover... a split pin and a couple nuts usually does it..
Andy.

OP
OP
triclops

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Have you checked the main 50 amp fuse, a Maxi blade fuse normally mounted next to the leisure battery, also next to the 50 amp fuse there is a 2 amp blade fuse if that one is blown I don't think the EBL will turn on.
Both fuses checked and ok.
Does sound like a main fuse /link gone somewhere...but i dont know your set up. If you can not get a 12v supply to the step closing wire on the motor from a battery using jumper wires then you will have to disconnect the motor drive to the step linkage and tie the step up... releasing the motor isnt normally difficult after removing the plastic cover... a split pin and a couple nuts usually does it..
Andy.
Jeff is under the van now doing this

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If it’s your charger/control unit, these guys are pretty good. They do a postal service and also have an ‘express’ service whereby they put you at the front of the queue with a guaranteed turnaround time.

http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/

I would leave a review on them here but, having previously tried, that doesn’t seem possible (not from an i-Pad anyway). Others on here also have reported back favourably.

Ian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Isn't there a 12V power switch on the control panel ? Does it feel "right". Anyway get behind and short it out in case the switch as failed internally. Are the meters showing 12V ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The small on/off slide switch on the front of the EBL are know for failing, best not to use them if the unit is more than a few years old. Worth trying sliding it on/off a few times.
Are you on EHU if so have you tried turning the the mains off.

OP
OP
triclops

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Isn't there a 12V power switch on the control panel ? Does it feel "right". Anyway get behind and short it out in case the switch as failed internally. Are the meters showing 12V ?
Have had the panel open and no power to 12v switch. Without the switch working there is no 12v throughout the van

OP
OP
triclops

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
The small on/off slide switch on the front of the EBL are know for failing, best not to use them if the unit is more than a few years old. Worth trying sliding it on/off a few times.
Are you on EHU if so have you tried turning the the mains off.
Jeff has disconnected the drive motor to the step and manually closed it. We are now on our way to Scone C&CC site and will be on ehu. But will still not have 12v power to lights, heating, water taps or toilet

OP
OP
triclops

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
If it’s your charger/control unit, these guys are pretty good. They do a postal service and also have an ‘express’ service whereby they put you at the front of the queue with a guaranteed turnaround time.

http://www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/

I would leave a review on them here but, having previously tried, that doesn’t seem possible (not from an i-Pad anyway). Others on here also have reported back favourably.

Ian
Thank you for the information. Looks like we will be contacting them after the new year

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
One of the things that I learned when I had a Problem with mine was that the control panel (above the habitation door) sends a signal (the state of the voltage (12V)) to the charger unit and if this signal is too low, or missing, the charger unit isolates the whole 12V system.

Ian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have had the panel open and no power to 12v switch. Without the switch working there is no 12v throughout the van

That rings a bell. Not got an EBL99 any more but when working on mine I blew that 12V source to the control panel, it was a tiny thin track on the PCB rather than a proper fuse. I fitted a proper fuse though it meant opening up the box to replace it, I never did blow that one.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just a thought --try running wires from LBATT direct to EB unit eliminating anything inbetween --that way you will know if EB unit or not

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
RISKY BUT:

You can back feed the main 12V bus by feeding leisure battery INTO Spare 6 which has a 15A fuse. The leisure volts are on a screw terminal from the battery. Could get some lights and water. Spare 3 and 4 the same but 25A fused.

Do it at your own risk of course.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hopefully just moving might fix it, I would reckon turn off EBL count to 10 and restart is a good place to start when back on hookup

Did you remove the big fuse to check it, if not remove count to 10 and replace

Hope that helps but it is as far as I could do myself (y)

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I would take out the fuses that you have already checked and replace with new, some times they look good but are not, happened to me recently, drove me mad

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'd turn round and go home..... No 12v at all is going to be a shit new year.
No water pump, no lights, no fridge, no toilet, no heating.
No worse than being in a tent.:xrofl:
No heating won't need the fridge, use a spray bottle to flush the loo, battery lanten for lights, water container for a cold wash. What more could you want.:xgrin:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No worse than being in a tent.:xrofl:
No heating won't need the fridge, use a spray bottle to flush the loo, battery lanten for lights, water container for a cold wash. What more could you want.:xgrin:
But would you want to be in a tent for new years eve.... I've done it in April and woke to 6"of snow... ONCE!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'd turn round and go home..... No 12v at all is going to be a shit new year.
No water pump, no lights, no fridge, no toilet, no heating.
They have said they are going to a CC so should be able to use 240v to have lights, fridge and possibly some heating or am I missing something?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back