Hello, How are fellow motorhomes coping with the new EU regulations on the 90 day stays in Europe, it has certainly has messed up my plans. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Again, the implications for residency changes are significant for some people and don't make it practical or add to the complexity that wasn't there beforehand.
I would imagine a lot on here are in a position to change residency if they wanted to and have possibly considered it, No good to most brits because they re still working but they are unlikely to be wanting to do trips exceeding 90 days.

The fact that the UK didn't deport as many criminals and undesirables as it could have is a reflection on the Governments, not the laws. We had plenty of opportunities to do so but didn't do enough. We are now in a worse situation as over a dozen EU countries refuse to extradite peeps to the UK due to our changed status.

Good point, I'm not a fan of any current Government ( all too liberal for my liking :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ) But don't we want to keep the criminals out not get them back?

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Around the time that the Non EU Passports queues were first mentioned for UK visitors, Spain & Portugal both announced that they would be looking at a 'Fast Track' Lane to avoid the planeloads of Brits having to wait alongside other 3rd country arrivals. This shows where the emphasis on tourism income lies, with far higher volumes of UK visitors than, IIRC, some 25,000 m/h & caravan tourists; the Tour Operators have done the admin with pre flight checks, the Border Guards are at the airport already and the coaches are lined up & waiting to shift the Brits to hotels & the Bars. All the infrastructure is there, minimal extra costs to set up the Fast Track, and road Border Controls can continue to cope with the caravans and m/homes as they did pre 1st January. TUI, Easyjet, Ryanair etc will be the focus of the tourism restart because of minimal extra costs, higher average per capita spend, and sheer volumes of paying customers on each plane.

Steve

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
In my opinion people are all to willing to accept restrictions of freedom for the many in the hope it will prevent the few.

No one has a right to claim any ownership of this planet but that's what has happened over centuries....and will get worse and worse till it destroys itself.

People have migrated and moved around the globe for centuries ....the uk more than many and yet immigrants seems to be England's biggest fear.
Ive got no problem with legitimate immigration or asylum, we have policies and processes for both for very good reasons.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Are the issues with the French border since Covid or have they been going on for years
According to my vegetable growing and trucking neighbours they are since covid. Used to get sporadic problems before but by all accounts this is consistent.
As the law and order side is not joined up and never will be its a great way to bury an unsavoury past.
It should be. They are all supposed to be using the ECRIS system now.
European Criminal Record Information System.
Works well .when my wife needs a new Spanish cab with Hague Apostille ,she gets a Spanish one complete with a full UK one all on same document. & for 3,58€.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
This is my (our points of view).

When we first bought our house in Spain, these were the plans.

Whilst still working.

Me: Let the house out for holiday lets in summer. 1 week in 4 in Spain (10 days) in the winter.

Come retirement or semi retirement, spend October - April in Spain. Tour on motorhome or find a bolt hole in the UK.

My wife’s plan. Sell up in the UK as soon as possible and move over to Spain.*

Plan B ? Really not sure. I think we shall have to see how the next couple of years pan out.

As we are both still working, 90/180 may not be a problem. Depends what ferries and airlines are left and the costs.

* I am kind of regretting it now. But my wife never looks at the financial side of things.

jacksmith

Free Member
Jul 27, 2020
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E495 2007
Exp
since Feb 2019
The thing is, the 90 day rule makes no difference whatsoever to the vast majority of British tourists, who only visit for 2 weeks. So, I can't see the problems of a tiny minority of motorhomers who would like to visit for more than 90 days being some as much of an incentive to change the rule.

Edit. Crossed over with Jim's post!
There are about 800,000 Brits like EuroTrotters who own second homes in Spain, may of them let their homes out to other Brits in the summer and migrate there for the winter, keeping the bars and restaurants in business out of season. If they can't spend over 90 days there in 180 the whole logic of this disappears, they sell up, and Spain loses all of their pension money.

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
The EU - or rather Merkel, Macron and VDL are so determined to punish the UK that they are screwing their own tourist industries. What is so ridiculous is that non of the other EU countries are prepared to challenge them enough. Let’s hope at least two of them are voted out soon. I have a house in France and haven’t been allowed to go there in almost a year. It’s a real bummer all round.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
The EU - or rather Merkel, Macron and VDL are so determined to punish the UK that they are screwing their own tourist industries. What is so ridiculous is that non of the other EU countries are prepared to challenge them enough. Let’s hope at least two of them are voted out soon. I have a house in France and haven’t been allowed to go there in almost a year. It’s a real bummer all round.
It's abject nonsense that EU Leaders are punishing UK. The latter elected to leave EU and has become a Third Country, subject to Third Country Rules, the same as every other non EU Member. 'Xenophobia, have you met Paranoia?'

As for punishing their own tourism economies, Spain will earn a lot more from the planeloads of UK holidaymakers on 2 week package breaks than they will from UK motorhomers using Aires and being able to self cater etc.

Steve

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Oh dear. If you can’t see they are doing their best to punish us you must be on a different planet! They have made it clear it’s their intention. Hey Ho! Maybe the Earth is flat after all?
Where does the Withdrawal Agreement refer to 'punishment'? There was an early mention of any Brexit Deal being less favourable than EU Membership [Messrs Tusk & Juncker] but UK is now a Third Country and subject to the same rules as other Third Countries.

As for your sarcasm, not bad for the hard of thinking. Fact free bluster.

Steve

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Well done them! I hope they succeed and force their will upon all those EU countries for whom tourism is a major employer. Result would be tens of millions of Brits taking holidays in the UK and in friendlier nations with more sensible leadership: a massive boost to the UK economy and those of our friends.

Pete

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
As for punishing their own tourism economies, Spain will earn a lot more from the planeloads of UK holidaymakers on 2 week package breaks than they will from UK motorhomers using Aires and being able to self cater etc.

Steve
You are quite correct in this matter.... its summer package holidays where they get their income..... However you are quite wrong that "punishment" has not been their intention.... at the very beginning they told us quite clearly there would be a "price to pay"...and there "would be severe consequences"..... they are terrified Brexit will be a success.... they cannot afford countries to Leave... or the whole project could come tumbling down

Take a look at the whole ethos of the EU.... a few wealthy nations pumping money in but the vast majority taking far more out...the UK being one of the former... yet because of this even countries that are very often openly hostile to Brussels such as Hungary & Poland wont Leave themselves simply because they get too much out of it..

Apologies for political post

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Apparently its the EU fault that roaming charges are returning to the uk too .

One of the things categorically denied in the past of course and claimed just project fear.

But did anyone ever expect anything different 😏

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You are quite correct in this matter.... its summer package holidays where they get their income..... However you are quite wrong that "punishment" has not been their intention.... at the very beginning they told us quite clearly there would be a "price to pay"...and there "would be severe consequences"..... they are terrified Brexit will be a success.... they cannot afford countries to Leave... or the whole project could come tumbling down

Take a look at the whole ethos of the EU.... a few wealthy nations pumping money in but the vast majority taking far more out...the UK being one of the former... yet because of this even countries that are very often openly hostile to Brussels such as Hungary & Poland wont Leave themselves simply because they get too much out of it..

The non 17 million also said there would "be a price to pay" or indeed many additional prices to pay .

But that was brushed aside as scaremongering.

So far we have pet passports,. Foodstuffs , petfood , limited time and of course now extortionate roaming charges.

I'm seeing great value for money

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No

Not 'punishment', though. A 'price to pay' reflects the potential tariffs, loss of Single Market Access, et al. I rather doubt the EU is terrified that Brexit will be a success when just about every major economist is forecasting a reduction of between 4% and 7% in UK GDP over 15 years. John Maynard Keynes wrote 3 versions [IIRC] of a Paper around 1935 on the effects of Currency & Customs Unions where there is not a unified Taxation system across the Union.

His conclusion was that richer nations would accrue trade surpluses [N.Europe] and poorer nations [S. Europe] would accrue almost matching deficits [Mark 2 & 3 of the Paper suggested different methods of redistributing the surpluses to rebalance the Union after his initial proposal of confiscation was rejected]. Germany gains an advantage from its diluted exchange rate via the €, because the price of its engineering goods and services would be even higher were they to be priced in the former DM. The price for that competitive devaluation is the support of the weaker EU economies in S. Europe by way of rebalancing/redistributing the surpluses. The € Architects have admitted that the € structure is wrong [effectively accepting Maynard's Paper & proposals] and the EU is committed to revising the structure once Brexit is settled/stabilised.

I'll agree to differ with you on the 'take more out than they put in' to avoid the politics of the topic. I have tried to keep my reply to the economic & legal aspects.

Steve

Last edited:

Deleted User
The non 17 million also said there would "be a price to pay" or indeed many additional prices to pay .

But that was brushed aside as scaremongering.

So far we have pet passports,. Foodstuffs , petfood , limited time and of course now extortionate roaming charges.

I'm seeing great value for money

Drifting towards dangerous waters now.......perhaps best to withdraw :Smile:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Apparently its the EU fault that roaming charges are returning to the uk too .

One of the things categorically denied in the past of course and claimed just project fear.

But did anyone ever expect anything different 😏
If you read the whole threads they're actually not reintroducing roaming charges, they're setting fair usage limits which most of the others like vodafone and three have always had. In E E s case they semm to be using it as an incentive.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you read the whole threads they're actually not reintroducing roaming charges, they're setting fair usage limits which most of the others like vodafone and three have always had. In E E s case they semm to be using it as an incentive.
Not what EE told me on the phone on monday . Which is why im switching to 3

£2 per day is what i was told

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think you’re probably right Matamoros, time to move on…….Anyone got a spare long arm O/S Fiat Ducato wing mirror (2016 Motorhome)??????

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Is this turning into a Brexit thread? :unsure::eek:
No. The rights & wrongs of Brexit [and they will be mirror images of each other depending upon how you voted] are historical, but the practicalities of dealing with the EU must take heed of the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement to avoid fact free claims such as 'EU punishment' being promoted.

Steve

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Not what EE told me on the phone on monday . Which is why im switching to 3

£2 per day is what i was told
Honestly mate have another read of the thread. I would copy it but I'm doing this on phone on portugal west coast. Hope the conversion is progressing well.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Not all Motorhomers are self caterers,l for one have an daily spend of £100/150 and l am sure many others are the same. The Tunnel and Ferries carry a greater percentage of cars that are all spenders along with the 800 thousand Brits that have second homes in Spain plus the many more in other EU countries.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Honestly mate have another read of the thread. I would copy it but I'm doing this on phone on portugal west coast. Hope the conversion is progressing well.
What thread?

I heard about the return of charges last week on Facebook so as my contract with EE is due for renewal soon i called customer services to enquire. I currently have 20gb per month and unlimited calls and texts Europe wide

From january i lose the Europe wide and would have to pay £2 per day to get the same data useage i have now but with limited calls and text

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Screenshot of EEs website
9EE470EF-3AD1-4DD9-A183-6ECEF39B8AB9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries