Hello, How are fellow motorhomes coping with the new EU regulations on the 90 day stays in Europe, it has certainly has messed up my plans. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2016
kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 810G
Exp
since 2003
Hello How are fellow motorhomes coping with the new EU regulations on the 90 day
stays in Europe, it has certainly has messed up my plans for my two trip plan to France and Spain, within six months.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I think eveyone is in the same boat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
I have sold my fifth wheel and truck , was planning to buy a bit of land in Portugal to site it on . Not to be so best idea to change plans as is best .

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We will have to see how things turn out after Covid, and how tourist revenue in some parts is reduced.
There is a feint rumour that eventually the current 90 day rule may be extended to180, it may involve some paperwork, but if this does happen, then it may take a while.
Will have to wait & see I guess.
LES

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Going back to my to my bolt hole , ie bricks and mortar for the first time in 7 years.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
There is already pressure from Spain to increase it. IMHO once all the willy waving has stopped ( the lady at the top ironically being the worst offender) the normal people will try and come up with a system that works for everyone.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hello How are fellow motorhomes coping with the new EU regulations on the 90 day
stays in Europe, it has certainly has messed up my plans for my two trip plan to France and Spain, within six months.
We're hoping that arrangements will be made to allow longer visits as we were planning on long trips in the future. However, I'm not optimistic that they will be anywhere near as good as they were before.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
We will have to see how things turn out after Covid, and how tourist revenue in some parts is reduced.
There is a feint rumour that eventually the current 90 day rule may be extended to180, it may involve some paperwork, but if this does happen, then it may take a while.
Will have to wait & see I guess.
LES
Source?
This was done to death on a Facebook group and it seems its basically peoples wishful thinking, not an actual proposal by any EU nation (that would then need to be approved by the whole EU).
There is a possibility that individual countries could relax their vida rules but not sure if the big stick from Brussels would beat the idea out of them.

The only real option seems to be applying for residency or getting an EU passport.

Luckily my Grandad was born in Belfast so I can claim Irish citizenship which will give me an EU passport. It might take 18 months to 2 years to come through and cost £242.71 but I'm a good few years away from having the time to spend more than 90 days anywhere. It is just something to have in the 'back pocket' in case we decide to move/buy in the EU in the future.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Source?
This was done to death on a Facebook group and it seems its basically peoples wishful thinking, not an actual proposal by any EU nation (that would then need to be approved by the whole EU).
There is a possibility that individual countries could relax their vida rules but not sure if the big stick from Brussels would beat the idea out of them.
Well it sure wasn't Faceache or social media as we will never subscribe to the work of the devil.
The suggestion has however come from certain journalists on TV/Radio media channels which could arguably be said to be unreliable also.
But I did say it was suggested, and that it maybe will happen, but take time.
Money speaks louder than words, certain areas have traditionally relied heavily on British tourism, if that should fall or be restricted because of the 90 day rule, then maybe a tourist visa would be the answer, dunno really.
We will have to just wait and see, especially if another member state should vote, even threaten to leave the union in the future, that would shake things up, maybe Brussels are aware of this, hence the tough withdrawal arrangements we are being put through at this time.
LES

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Well it sure wasn't Faceache or social media as we will never subscribe to the work of the devil.
The suggestion has however come from certain journalists on TV/Radio media channels which could arguably be said to be unreliable also.
But I did say it was suggested, and that it maybe will happen, but take time.
Money speaks louder than words, certain areas have traditionally relied heavily on British tourism, if that should fall or be restricted because of the 90 day rule, then maybe a tourist visa would be the answer, dunno really.
We will have to just wait and see, especially if another member state should vote, even threaten to leave the union in the future, that would shake things up, maybe Brussels are aware of this, hence the tough withdrawal arrangements we are being put through at this time.
LES
Are they tough or are they treating us like the non-members we are? We've heard the confident statement that out means out so what preferential treatment should we get?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well I can't see any problems, what is wrong with 6 months away a year, how much more do you need?
If you want more than that, why not go and live there and just come here for 90 days, simples.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Are they tough or are they treating us like the non-members we are? We've heard the confident statement that out means out so what preferential treatment should we get?
Agree with you, I guess if I left MotorHome Fun I would no longer be in the club and the restrictions on on-membership would apply to me and would not think I was being punished.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's not so much the 90 days, it's whether they'll allow you in in the first place. You don't have a God given right to go.

If all goes well and the British government authorise international travel by that date, Spain’s authorities will still have to address the fact that British tourism is still, effectively, illegal in Spain.

This is because, on the 1st January this year, the UK became a third country, no longer able to enjoy the benefits of EU membership that had applied during the transition period for leaving the EU.

On 1st July last year, Spain introduced a law that restricted entry to all third country nationals who were not engaged in essential travel. This law was part of an agreement between all the EU member states in the Schengen travel zone, and remains in force. Residents of Spain are exempt from this law.

Spain is still open to tourism, and a reduced amount of EU nationals can still be found arriving in the country for their holidays, but British holiday makers, who were subject to an entirely separate Spanish travel ban from mid-December to March, may have missed the fact that, as third country nationals, they are now no longer able to come and go freely to Spain for leisure purposes.

This is despite the fact that the UK government has authorized leaving the country for those who are viewing, renting or selling properties. From March 29th, this has now been classed as a “reasonable excuse to travel “ by the UK government . However, property matters are not among the justifications for essential travel in the law Spain passed last July.

This underlines the necessity for any international travellers to thoroughly check not only the restrictions that apply on leaving one country, but also those that apply to entry to another, as they may not be similar.

As regards the July law, the Spanish government has stated that “travel restrictions will be lifted for countries selected together by Member States, on the basis of a set of principles and objective criteria including the health situation, the ability to apply containment measures during travel, and reciprocity considerations.”

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
There is already pressure from Spain to increase it. IMHO once all the willy waving has stopped ( the lady at the top ironically being the worst offender) the normal people will try and come up with a system that works for everyone.
Merkel or Ushi (what the Germans call Ursula VDL)?.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It's not so much the 90 days, it's whether they'll allow you in in the first place. You don't have a God given right to go.

If all goes well and the British government authorise international travel by that date, Spain’s authorities will still have to address the fact that British tourism is still, effectively, illegal in Spain.

This is because, on the 1st January this year, the UK became a third country, no longer able to enjoy the benefits of EU membership that had applied during the transition period for leaving the EU.

On 1st July last year, Spain introduced a law that restricted entry to all third country nationals who were not engaged in essential travel. This law was part of an agreement between all the EU member states in the Schengen travel zone, and remains in force. Residents of Spain are exempt from this law.

Spain is still open to tourism, and a reduced amount of EU nationals can still be found arriving in the country for their holidays, but British holiday makers, who were subject to an entirely separate Spanish travel ban from mid-December to March, may have missed the fact that, as third country nationals, they are now no longer able to come and go freely to Spain for leisure purposes.

This is despite the fact that the UK government has authorized leaving the country for those who are viewing, renting or selling properties. From March 29th, this has now been classed as a “reasonable excuse to travel “ by the UK government . However, property matters are not among the justifications for essential travel in the law Spain passed last July.

This underlines the necessity for any international travellers to thoroughly check not only the restrictions that apply on leaving one country, but also those that apply to entry to another, as they may not be similar.

As regards the July law, the Spanish government has stated that “travel restrictions will be lifted for countries selected together by Member States, on the basis of a set of principles and objective criteria including the health situation, the ability to apply containment measures during travel, and reciprocity considerations.”
But as I understand it. Portugal is making residency and long stay NLV’s easier ?

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Not too bad here at all

Attachments

• IMG-20210324-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210324-WA0002.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 64

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Money speaks louder than words, certain areas have traditionally relied heavily on British tourism,

And I imagine 98%+ of that reliance is on holiday makers staying a lot less than 90 days. So not much money lost at all.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
.......Money speaks louder than words, certain areas have traditionally relied heavily on British tourism, if that should fall or be restricted because of the 90 day rule, then maybe a tourist visa would be the answer, dunno really........
The thing is, the 90 day rule makes no difference whatsoever to the vast majority of British tourists, who only visit for 2 weeks. So, I can't see the problems of a tiny minority of motorhomers who would like to visit for more than 90 days being some as much of an incentive to change the rule.

Edit. Crossed over with Jim's post!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Well I can't see any problems, what is wrong with 6 months away a year, how much more do you need?
If you want more than that, why not go and live there and just come here for 90 days, simples.
Yea Bloody right Chaser, you tell em, 90 days should be long enough for anyone to go away on holiday, they should get back home and do a decent days work, even come out of retirement if necessary, what ever it takes to "Make This Country Great Again" where have I heard that before?:unsure::rofl:

Thanks Yorick, I dont think the UK public are aware of these facts you have raised, thanks for sharing them.
LES

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Luckily for me I married an Irish Colleen so no problem when we eventually get permission by the EU and our mob to travel,
Ironic that not so long ago women from abroad were seeking out British men to marry and be able to live in the U.K. but now some British men will be tempted to seek out Irish women to marry in order to live abroad. :giggle:

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I thought the 90-day rule applied while we were in the EU? might be wrong though?

Ian.s

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Oban
Funster No
MH
Rs Endeavour
Exp
Since 1991
The Aussies and Kiwis etc have been coping for years, We had five months in Europe last year. All its done for us is to make us explore pastures new. Its simple to me, two or three months in France Spain etc, then two or three in Morocco and then a few more months in Spain France Germany etc then Croatia for three months or two and home for a while. I don't see it as much of a problem. The wonderful thing about a MH is its mobility. We just have to plan a little more. Im looking forward to the change to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back