Heating in rear of Lyseo with Fixed Beds (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Hi folks, just back from our first really cold weather trip in the Lyseo TD 690G. We had a couple of days over New Year at minus 4 and noticed that the blown heating that runs along the side of the fixed rear beds was not working and noticeably cold given the weather. The heating system is Truma.

All the vents were working in living area, bathroom and garage but there was no heat making it's way upwards from the pipe behind the wardrobe / storage drawers on either bed into the blow pipes running along the wall, basically the area circled on the diagram
1672925471673.png

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same issue? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to turn this on somehow? I read in the manual about a 3 way valve for rear beds, does anyone know if this is something that also exists on the Truma system? Or only on the Alde? I looked around but don't see it without unscrewing the panels from the garage.

I tried closing vents further forward to see if that would push air back but it didn't and the bathroom one cannot be closed as it's an actual vent versus butterfly closure. Also generally run on Eco mode but also tried High and Boost but again nothing.

I have sent an email to Burstner Germany but they're out until next week.

If anyone has any similar experience or thoughts would appreciate them

1672925498514.png

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I blocked the garage heating of as waste of heat. I pushed 2" pipe lagging into the gaps in the garage by the beds and laid 25mm Celotex under the bed rails.

OP
OP
j8snl
Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks Stealaway, I was hoping you'd see this knowing you also have the 690G.

However, doing all this does this mean you had the same issue of no heat coming through those tubs by the side of the bed/wall? Or was it working but just not enough heat then you also done this?

I may be looking at your solutions if I cannot get this heat by the bed working as we generally use our motorhome all year round.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
j8snl
Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Quick update on this one. At home over the weekend via the house mains supply I tried this again, touched nothing but suddenly I had hot air coming out around the bed. It wasn't overly strong but it was there and where the cuts are mostly pointing downwards.

Followed Stealaway's advice with a trip to Screwfix and packed the gaps with pipe lagging and also gave the tubes a good twist to try and point the cuts up diagonally towards the wooden plates on the walls and left on for 30 mins on Eco / Mix 2 and could see a noticeable difference in rear temperature.

Unsure why I had nothing on site then a little at home 🤷‍♀️ but hoping the pipe lagging will help.

Motorhomes - the gift that keeps on giving :ROFLMAO:

Jan 17, 2018
Sunny Poole
Funster No
MH
Low profile Burstner
Exp
3 years and learning
I blocked the garage heating of as waste of heat. I pushed 2" pipe lagging into the gaps in the garage by the beds and laid 25mm Celotex under the bed rails.
Hi Alex
We used your pipe lagging trick but are now suffering from quite serious condensation in the garage. We are considering blocking the heater outlet . Have you had any condensation before or after blocking the heater outlet?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Oh dear.
I've never had condensation in the garage but we don't use the van in winter.
I had thought about blanking off the heating plpes around the bed but they are all above the pipe lagging.
Have you fitted the lagging from inside the garage upward?
There is no other heating into my garage.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you checked the black knobs at the start of the bed vents, they arevery lose so easily knocked, you can rotate them to turn the air supply off and on.
German Vans always seem to set up the van so the bedroom area is quite cool.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Lenny ... With all the research you've done on Carthagos should I have black knobs somewhere? 😃

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Whatever you fancy, Minxy ……. ;)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Was the heating on the site on electric?

At home when it’s working your home EHU more amps so more oomph into the system?

OP
OP
j8snl
Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Was the heating on the site on electric?

At home when it’s working your home EHU more amps so more oomph into the system?

Hi Paul, it was on Mix 2 so yes using the electric on site. This was my assumption of just more power from my home electric also on Mix 2.

Interesting reading some of the comments above. Alanben - have you also experienced either nothing or little heat in the bedroom area? Stealaway I fitted the lagging from the garage upwards and also twisted the heating pipes a little upwards so the cuts in the tubing were point up and angled towards the wall.

Will be interesting this weekend as planned to be away, it's minus 4 just now so similar to what we had over new year, see if we have the same experiences and also with the lagging see if we get any condensation in the garage area.

One difference though we've invested in a new Silverscreen which just came last weekend so that will get a run out this weekend and help with some internal heat although the living area wasn't really the issue, it was the bed area.

OP
OP
j8snl
Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Hi folks, just back from our first really cold weather trip in the Lyseo TD 690G. We had a couple of days over New Year at minus 4 and noticed that the blown heating that runs along the side of the fixed rear beds was not working and noticeably cold given the weather. The heating system is Truma.

All the vents were working in living area, bathroom and garage but there was no heat making it's way upwards from the pipe behind the wardrobe / storage drawers on either bed into the blow pipes running along the wall, basically the area circled on the diagram
View attachment 703240

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same issue? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to turn this on somehow? I read in the manual about a 3 way valve for rear beds, does anyone know if this is something that also exists on the Truma system? Or only on the Alde? I looked around but don't see it without unscrewing the panels from the garage.

I tried closing vents further forward to see if that would push air back but it didn't and the bathroom one cannot be closed as it's an actual vent versus butterfly closure. Also generally run on Eco mode but also tried High and Boost but again nothing.

I have sent an email to Burstner Germany but they're out until next week.

If anyone has any similar experience or thoughts would appreciate them

View attachment 703243
I also got a response from Burstner where I emailed pretty much the same question and images as above. The response below :confused:

Thank you very much for your message!

Unfortunately, we have to inform you that we do not offer this heating system, which is why we can neither clarify nor recommend one.

We ask you to contact one of our Bürstner dealers directly. they can best help you on the vehicle itself and check the performance of the heating again

You can find a list of our partners on our homepage

www.buerstner.com/uk/contact/find-a-dealer/

Thank you for your understanding.

Please reply to this e-mail with any comments or concerns.

Best regards
Your Bürstner-Team

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Hi Paul, it was on Mix 2 so yes using the electric on site. This was my assumption of just more power from my home electric also on Mix 2.

I would have thought the fan would perform the same whether on battery/low ampage electric or full fat. There fore the air flow should still come through - just maybe not as hot. I guess the heat will be the poorest at the beds as it's at the end of the the system. You could try shutting off the outlets elsewhere and see if it improves the output at the beds.

OP
OP
j8snl
Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
I would have thought the fan would perform the same whether on battery/low ampage electric or full fat. There fore the air flow should still come through - just maybe not as hot. I guess the heat will be the poorest at the beds as it's at the end of the the system. You could try shutting off the outlets elsewhere and see if it improves the output at the beds.
Someone more knowledgeable than me VXMan can say whether the fans should perform the same. I initially thought something was broken or needed turning on because I couldn't get heat to the rear. Per my OP I did close all the vents further forward except the bathroom which can't be closed to try getting more heat in the rear but it didn't do anything noticeable (although the cuts in the tubing running alongside the bed were pointing at a downward angle), hence thinking something was broken, or needing turned on. That 3 way valve in my OP since I cannot find it anywhere and took the access panel in the garage off to check there I assume is only on Alde heating and not Truma.

Blocking the cold air from the garage with the lagging for this weekend should help for sure, but if again there's no heat coming to the back it will be another cold one. We ditched the Duvalet's moving from Autosleeper singles to Burstner fixed bed, they will be going along this weekend just in case :ROFLMAO:

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
As it happens I have brought my 690G out of storage today, gave it a good hours run and now have it on EHU at home. The van is empty of almost everything including the bed mattresses. Despite emptying down the water prior to going into storage early December found some ice in the water tank and will be sponging that dry later today. With Truma going the two heating pipes that sun alongside the bed frame read only 8'c. Later will shut all forward vents and see if that makes a difference and I will probably block up the garage vent which is useless. I dis the foam pipe insulation a couple of years ago and that definitely makes a difference. I have considered putting some sort of mains heater in the garage but the jury is still out.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny ... With all the research you've done on Carthagos should I have black knobs somewhere? 😃
I didn't know about your preferences for black knobs in bed. :rofl:

I'm not sure what Carthago do but I assume they fit the metal heating vents along the side of the bed and the knob is where the heating pipe joins it.

Just been out and taken a pic of it in my van.
1673969179720.png

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I have a 727G with rear single beds. So pretty much like yours but longer.

I just did a little experiment on my drive. The fan speed is constant no matter whether it is powered by leisure battery or EHU (thought: Does it actually power directly from the EHU or is it always powered by battery whether plugged in or not?)

The heat obviously varies according to Gas/El1/EL2/mix selection.

The blower output to the beds does vary depending on how many vents are open along the way. I found the Passenger side bed stronger than the driver side bed. Our pipes do not have any cuts in them. They come up near the foot end of the bed and point towards the rear. I always find the toilet the warmest room in the van.

So, I cannot see your problem has any relation to electricity supply. That would either power the selection or trip the power supply if it was not enough (had this happen on some low power sites in the past.)

It must be some problem in the pipe work. Although odd if you say it works at home but not in storage.

One other comment -seems to be more heat coming out of the outside vent than in side!

Jan 17, 2018
Sunny Poole
Funster No
MH
Low profile Burstner
Exp
3 years and learning
I definitely don't have a black nob! maybe because I have a Burstner not a Carthago :giggle: I'm going to insulate under the beds as per Stealaway's suggestion.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Perhaps the answer to your problem j8snl , is an electric underblanket (but only when on EHU…..)?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
The heater fan is 12v.

Ah, OK. So blowing performance will be consistent what no matter whether you are plugged in or not. That puts paid to the theory about amps affecting the performance of air coming out in the bedroom - unless the battery was going flat when off EHU?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Alex
We used your pipe lagging trick but are now suffering from quite serious condensation in the garage. We are considering blocking the heater outlet . Have you had any condensation before or after blocking the heater outlet?
Did you fit the pipe insulation up from inside the garage and below the heater pipes around the bed?

IMG_20200313_105500.jpg

IMG_20200313_110029.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Ah, OK. So blowing performance will be consistent what no matter whether you are plugged in or not. That puts paid to the theory about amps affecting the performance of air coming out in the bedroom - unless the battery was going flat when off EHU?
The fan speed is controlled by the controller.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Ours isn’t a Lyseo or any other kind of Burstner, but has a Truma combi system. What we’ve found is that when operating the heating on EHU alone, the fan remains low and heat output is relatively poor. By switching to Gas only or gas/electric combined, the fan really picks up and heating is very rapid and powerful.

Were you on EHU only? If so, it might be worth trying switching to gas and seeing if it makes a difference.

OP
OP
j8snl
Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Hi ManTheVan, if this was based on the original posting yes I was on Mix 2 with Gas and Electric.

I think we are establishing though through this thread that Burstner’s of this rear bedroom layout above the garage are just cold :LOL:

Jan 17, 2018
Sunny Poole
Funster No
MH
Low profile Burstner
Exp
3 years and learning

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Hi ManTheVan, if this was based on the original posting yes I was on Mix 2 with Gas and Electric.

I think we are establishing though through this thread that Burstner’s of this rear bedroom layout above the garage are just cold :LOL:
Sorry to hear! Ours has a rear bed that’s also above the garage, but the garage is heated too, so we’re always cozy.

Definitely a thick duvet and brushed cotton sheets/duvet cover in winter. The brushed cotton makes an incredible difference. Equally, if you go for an electric underblanket (on EHU) you won’t know yourselves!

Good luck!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back