Have Motorhomes improved over the years? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I have a 1991 Eribacar - 5.5m coachbuilt pop top

And a 2001 Mobilvetta Euroyacht 7.5m A class

They both have similar original equipment, blown air heating, boiler, shower, cooker, fridge, double glazed windows, blinds and fly screens etc

The 1991 Eriba even has a gas fire that the Mobilvetta lacks

The major differences are in the base vehicle - central locking and electric windows on the 2001

What they share is build quality(y)

Manufacturers have to change the base vehicle but apart from body size and styling - what improvements have there been?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They made the electrics over complicated for no reason other than the technology was available.
Why do you need computer controlled circuitry which fails if it gets a voltage spike when mechanical switches were quite adequate and reliable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
They made the electrics over complicated for no reason other than the technology was available.
Why do you need computer controlled circuitry which fails if it gets a voltage spike when mechanical switches were quite adequate and reliable.
cost a mechanical switch is probably 10 times the cost of a bit of electronics

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
cost a mechanical switch is probably 10 times the cost of a bit of electronics

Took the mechanical indicator switch apart on the 1991 Eriba - couldn't believe how complicated it was - couldn't put it back together:doh:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
@Barclaybasher I think after 2004 everything went downhill.
:dance2:
Couldn't agree more and too many daft things like the electric skylight and electric bed etc my Frankia had.
Its just more to go wrong ...I prefer the manual ones in my hymer

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
In one respect IMO they deffo have gone wrong - all my old caravans had a carver gas space heater - on the more modern ones the heat was also ducted via a 12v fan giving a very efficient central heating(y)

Far superior to todays systems and much more efficient and controllable - also using heater without fan (to save power) was absolutely fine!:)

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
In one respect IMO they deffo have gone wrong - all my old caravans had a carver gas space heater - on the more modern ones the heat was also ducted via a 12v fan giving a very efficient central heating(y)Far superior to todays systems and much more efficient and controllable - also using heater without fan (to save power) was absolutely fine!:)

My tiny Eriba has blown air heating and a Carver!

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
In one respect IMO they deffo have gone wrong - all my old caravans had a carver gas space heater - on the more modern ones the heat was also ducted via a 12v fan giving a very efficient central heating(y)

Far superior to todays systems and much more efficient and controllable - also using heater without fan (to save power) was absolutely fine!:)

I can understand why they've come out though. Partly space, and partly safety - in the confined space of a van with kids, including of course visitors & grandkids, they were rather lethal.

I also remember family holidays in my parent's caravan - the appalling smell of singed dog hair when the dog's tail inevitably gets too close to the heater! One smell I can happily live without experiencing again!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I wouldn't know much about build quality in the past except that the Westfalia California conversion on the VW T4 camper was solid and never went wrong unlike the VW base vehicle.

The best innovations from my POV are the highly practical fixed bed layouts in current PVCs. I agree completely about the unnecessary electronic gadgetry. Bring back toggle switches and dials. I guess I'm an analogue dinosaur in a digital world.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Took the mechanical indicator switch apart on the 1991 Eriba - couldn't believe how complicated it was - couldn't put it back together:doh:
You should try a Range Rover multi position seat switch
It resembles a Borg Cube internally
My boy mastered them and made a bob or two repairing instead of replacing.
I lost interest when it fired 16 ball bearings and 32 contact plates all over the garage floor along with springs and insulating packers
no wonder they were £200 each

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I really miss the gas fires in newer models, were efficient quick and didn't need electric for blowing air, our deisel one is good but doesn't half use a lot of power to start up, neighbours not happy when one starts the engine at 3am to stop the surge drain.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I'm struggling to think of many improvements to the habitation side.
Solar power and LED lighting? Alde Heating, better thermostat controls?? Soft close drawers???
Alko chassis becoming more prominent, improved underfloor heating and insulation?
At one time, I aspired to have cab concertina blinds, now having had them a few years, I'm not sure if curtains were better?
I think LCD screens were a big step forward but now we seem to be running backwards with 'dumb' led indicators and other new technology that will likely cause problems.
Cost and weight savings have trashed build quality, I can think of many items that are now crap, or used to be better.
It's so difficult to find a well built van these days, this includes the usual 'premium' brands who have in the past made some cracking vehicles.
There was a time I would of considered purchasing from maybe ten manufacturers, today probably less than five interest me (excluding PVC and Liners, where quality at least seems consistent)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We have had 4 vans. They were all good in their way, but the latest PVC is much better to drive than the older ones. Faster, much better MPG, and much easier to tour in.
Horses for courses though. Our last N & B was great if you want to drive to Spain and stay for 6 months but not so good for touring.
I loved them all though.
Phil

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
our deisel one is good but doesn't half use a lot of power to start up, neighbours not happy when one starts the engine at 3am to stop the surge drain.

Sue, it might be worth checking the wiring & connections. A common problem on my Wallas XC Duo diesel hob/heater is that they get wired through a control panel and suffer a voltage drop when starting up. Connecting it directly to the leisure battery (fused) solves the issue.

I learnt this from a man from Wallas, who said it was a common problem on self builds, but may apply to others.

Don't know anything about your van or it's electrics, but might be worth a check

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You should try a Range Rover multi position seat switch
It resembles a Borg Cube internally
My boy mastered them and made a bob or two repairing instead of replacing.
I lost interest when it fired 16 ball bearings and 32 contact plates all over the garage floor along with springs and insulating packers
no wonder they were £200 each
And two or three two position rocker switches would do the same job.
One fails, pop it out, unplug it, pop a new un in....a couple of quid.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now

Electronics are more versatile and simpler to make these days, but I believe there is another reason which motor manufactures have not advertised. Replacement costs !! If a switch failed you'd scream blue murder to be charged £600 for a new one, but if an electronic gizmo fails you are less likely to whinge at £600, but the electronic bit might be cheaper to produce than the switch !!

I read lately that a sealed headlight unit with LED running lights cost a buyer £850 to buy (don't know which car) whereas a a replacement bulb for a non sealed unit was £4.

And the MOT says any dashboard warning lights staying on is a fail so you HAVE to pay the mad prices for the replacement parts.

I think it's the car industry equivalent of printers, they will sell you a printer cheap, but charge a vast amount for a thimble full of ink when the cartridge runs out !!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Electronics are more versatile and simpler to make these days, but I believe there is another reason which motor manufactures have not advertised. Replacement costs !! If a switch failed you'd scream blue murder to be charged £600 for a new one, but if an electronic gizmo fails you are less likely to whinge at £600, but the electronic bit might be cheaper to produce than the switch !!

I read lately that a sealed headlight unit with LED running lights cost a buyer £850 to buy (don't know which car) whereas a a replacement bulb for a non sealed unit was £4.

And the MOT says any dashboard warning lights staying on is a fail so you HAVE to pay the mad prices for the replacement parts.

I think it's the car industry equivalent of printers, they will sell you a printer cheap, but charge a vast amount for a thimble full of ink when the cartridge runs out !!
Problem is they don't sell the motorhome cheap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back