Has anyone tried entering the EU with a dog recently? (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
It appears no one has then.
The best place to check is the government website. Certainly there is a ban on meat and dairy products when returning to the UK but dogfood is allowed if it is a prescription food.

This may give you the help you need and worth a try!
Further information and copies of the other leaflets and notices mentioned are available at on GOV.UK

If you cannot find what you are looking for on the website, then you can phone the Helpline:

UK: 0300 200 3700 Outside the UK: +44 2920 501 261

Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Text phone: 0300 200 3719

If English is not your first language and you need a translator to help with your enquiry, let one of our advisers know when you call us.

If you would like to speak to someone in Welsh, call 0300 200 3705

Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm.

Dec 1, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Kon Tiki G649
Exp
2 years
NHs England only. Not sure about Scotland, but those of us living in Wales have to apply for a certificate to travel from the gov.U.K. Website as NHS Wales don’t offer a similar app.

Scotland vaccination certificate can be obtained through this link. No app needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The best place to check is the government website. Certainly there is a ban on meat and dairy products when returning to the UK but dogfood is allowed if it is a prescription food.
Do you mean returning to the EU, ie exiting the UK?

May 21, 2014
Llywel Brecon
Funster No
MH
Rapido M96
Exp
Since May 2014
Regarding pet passport there is a full write up in the Local Guide.

May 21, 2014
Llywel Brecon
Funster No
MH
Rapido M96
Exp
Since May 2014
Hi - regarding the EU pet passport you have obtained - could you give details of which Vets issued this, cost etc - did your dog have to have another rabies booster or did the Vet carry over the booster information from your UK passport? How long does the passport last?

Thanks
Full write up in Local Guide

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I'm not a pet owner, but I am tempted to try dogging in the EU; would help pass the time whilst waiting in the Passport checking queue ... :unsure: (y)

Steve

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
5 months? I thought there was a 90 day limit, I've been cosidering a future excursion based on the state of the covid travel restrictions and the 90 day limit, am I incorrect?
We have a long stay visa for 12months but without that, yes it's 90 days in any 180 on a rolling calendar

Foo Fighter

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Magic
Exp
3 years with T4 Hitop
We came through on Monday morning with our pet. AHC in order and pet reception informed us it would be in our own interests to get an EU Pet Passport! No search for food stuffs at all. Only checked for gas being turned off. Eurotunnel Passenger Form, Covid Vaccine & Negative (antigen)Test Certificates were required but French Customs weren't interested in Fr. Health Declaration. Happy Days - see you all in September 😎

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We are so tempted to go. I've been wanting to get back to my house in Ireland for over 18 months now. I am torn between beautiful but wet Donegal or Beautiful but warm France. Its a struggle. Either way my dogs will end up with either an Irish pet passport or a French one. Good luck and safe passage to all those travelling.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Here’s another proper reply…..we used the tunnel last Friday, complete with our aged dog and cat.

Tips we picked up were as follows…
1. We paid our vet for a 12 page animal health certificate for each animal - apparently they could have both been included on the one form.
2. There were no checks on the van at all, not even the usual “can we check that you’ve turned your gas off”
we very much got the impression that Covid-19 precautions trumped detection of illicit pet food.
3. If you possibly can, find a sympa EU vet to issue your pets with an EU pet passport whilst you are abroad. This negates the need for the stupid, voluminous, expensive animal health certificates for future trips.
4. The most vital and asked for extra human documentation was Eurotunnel's own check list, PCR test results and vaccination status proof.

Both points 1. and 3. above were actually verified by the Eurotunnel pet check in desk.
I don’t think the Eurotunnel pet reception is correct on point 1. You can only have one species of animal on the same AHC.

278FA731-DD77-4550-B685-91718D797E91.png

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
I love the way folk try to obscure their intentions.
i intend to knowingly and wilfully break a very clear law. Anybody reckon I will get away with it?

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
Just a comment on the NHS App. I downloaded it onto my Android phone with no special problems at all. Next job was to load it onto my wife's iPhone. Then the fun started. She had to photograph her passport and then a video of her repeating the security code she had been sent. Overall it was not a quick job. But why was the Android problem free?

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
How did you obtain the 12 month visa,?
We were able to apply and get it because we have a place to stay in France for 12months (you do need attestations and other paperwork to confirm this from the host in France). Also, we're looking to purchase a property and relocate to France.

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Thanks but for me that doesn't solve the problem. Yes you can, in theory at least, take vegan dog food into the EU, but that still means weaning your dog onto it before you go. So it would be just as easy to wean my dog onto something like Royal Canin which is widely available in the EU and buy a bag as soon as I cross over.
Yep, I use Royal Canine now as prescribed by the vet. As it’s made in France I don’t anticipate any problems buying it there but will be taking some over with me next Spring to stop me panicking about the need to shop the minute I’ve landed! 😂😂

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
NHs England only. Not sure about Scotland, but those of us living in Wales have to apply for a certificate to travel from the gov.U.K. Website as NHS Wales don’t offer a similar app.
You can now get Proof of your vaccination record on an app in Wales ready for travelling.
It's a bit of a faf but does work.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I don’t think the Eurotunnel pet reception is correct on point 1. You can only have one species of animal on the same AHC.

View attachment 511492

Or maybe they are! Another reply from the APHA quoted on the same Facebook page:

4371F9B9-ADDB-4D22-9488-37AF90D8A1AD.png

So it seems even the APHA are confused. :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back