Has anyone tried entering the EU with a dog recently? (1 Viewer)

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
I can see from other threads people are taking the plunge and travelling to France and Spain. But has anyone done this with a dog in their Moho and if so was your van searched for any dog food? We're thinking of going through France soon and my wife is of the opinion that the people at customs will not bother to search the van for dog food, e.g. in lockers or under bed storage areas? I'm not so sure, which is why I ask.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I'm interested in this also so if there is anyone heading over in July I would also appreciate any Info.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Dog food, really ?

Can't see it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Our dog has a prescription diet I have an email from the animal hospital confirming it, I have checked and it's available in France if we need more. We're not going this year so hoping it has settled down by next year.

OP
OP
GeeCee
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
It appears no one has then.

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
There is a range of vegan dogfood available - ours have been on Benevo quite happily. Says vegan in a few languages so shouldn't be a problem. Or I could sell you an empty bag to smuggle it through customs!

OP
OP
GeeCee
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
There is a range of vegan dogfood available - ours have been on Benevo quite happily. Says vegan in a few languages so shouldn't be a problem. Or I could sell you an empty bag to smuggle it through customs!
Thanks but for me that doesn't solve the problem. Yes you can, in theory at least, take vegan dog food into the EU, but that still means weaning your dog onto it before you go. So it would be just as easy to wean my dog onto something like Royal Canin which is widely available in the EU and buy a bag as soon as I cross over.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thanks but for me that doesn't solve the problem. Yes you can, in theory at least, take vegan dog food into the EU, but that still means weaning your dog onto it before you go. So it would be just as easy to wean my dog onto something like Royal Canin which is widely available in the EU and buy a bag as soon as I cross over.
At least once you're there the dog will be able to roam freely....your mobile phone on the other hand might not 😁

Sep 23, 2020
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 7009
Exp
Since 2002
We just did a 10 day trip to France. No dog though. Make sure you have all your Covid tests done for the exit and have booked your return ones. Take all your vehicle docs. Border control was really strict on the return, including a full vehicle search. Eurotunnel is empty so no problem getting on (only one other vehicle on the return). And then there is the return quarantining....Oh joy! Remember its now international, you need a green card.

Apr 21, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Newbie here
We just did a 10 day trip to France. No dog though. Make sure you have all your Covid tests done for the exit and have booked your return ones. Take all your vehicle docs. Border control was really strict on the return, including a full vehicle search. Eurotunnel is empty so no problem getting on (only one other vehicle on the return). And then there is the return quarantining....Oh joy! Remember its now international, you need a green card.
Is the green card thing correct?

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
Hi there.

We travelled last night with our 4 dogs. Nobody was in the slightest bit interested in what we had on board in terms of dog or human food. A good thing really since we had 30kg of dog food as we'll be here for 5 months 😃.

The more important thing is the AHC. There was us and 2 other people at pet check in. We sailed through with no problem; the others didn't and one was refused travel due to an incorrect date being put on the form by their vet. It was 7pm and they won't be allowed to travel until their vet sends the correctly completed page to Eurotunnel this morning so beware if that.

Other than that, make sure you fill in the Eurotunnel passenger list form, the declaration form to confirm no covid symptoms, print your vaccination record and the lateral flow (antigen) certificate and you'll be fine.

Bon voyage 🇨🇵

Sep 23, 2020
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 7009
Exp
Since 2002
Yes you need a green card. And we had to get one for the scooter in the back! Your insurer should issue it free and can be by email. Just remember to make sure it covers all the time you are away and maybe a bit more, just in case...

Passing through

Free Member
Jul 5, 2018
Northants
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Sounds like it is an adventure just getting across/under the channel, memorable for all the wrong reasons.
Doubt our hound will be enjoying anything other than the English weather for the foreseeable.
I wonder if the attitude of the French at their border is reflected by our own at ours? Or, is there no such traffic this way?

Sep 3, 2014
Eccles, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
American RV A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi there.

We travelled last night with our 4 dogs. Nobody was in the slightest bit interested in what we had on board in terms of dog or human food. A good thing really since we had 30kg of dog food as we'll be here for 5 months 😃.

The more important thing is the AHC. There was us and 2 other people at pet check in. We sailed through with no problem; the others didn't and one was refused travel due to an incorrect date being put on the form by their vet. It was 7pm and they won't be allowed to travel until their vet sends the correctly completed page to Eurotunnel this morning so beware if that.

Other than that, make sure you fill in the Eurotunnel passenger list form, the declaration form to confirm no covid symptoms, print your vaccination record and the lateral flow (antigen) certificate and you'll be fine.

Bon voyage 🇨🇵
Thanks for this, we aren’t going yet but it’s good to know the above and hopefully our vet will get the paperwork right when we do travel it’s all new to them too. A quick question, how do you print your vaccination record? All we’ve been given so far is a card with the dates and type of vaccination. Thanks in advance.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
Download the NHS app and after a lot of messing about identifying yourself you can view your vaccination record and download it as a PDF which can be printed out, although the idea is to show it on your phone like an electronic boarding pass.

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for this, we aren’t going yet but it’s good to know the above and hopefully our vet will get the paperwork right when we do travel it’s all new to them too. A quick question, how do you print your vaccination record? All we’ve been given so far is a card with the dates and type of vaccination. Thanks in advance.
The rabies vaccination records are transferred onto the AHC form by the vet. We also brought our old pet passports in case they wanted to see the original stickers.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Download the NHS app and after a lot of messing about identifying yourself you can view your vaccination record and download it as a PDF which can be printed out, although the idea is to show it on your phone like an electronic boarding pass.

NHs England only. Not sure about Scotland, but those of us living in Wales have to apply for a certificate to travel from the gov.U.K. Website as NHS Wales don’t offer a similar app.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Hi there.

Bon voyage 🇨🇵
Finally a proper reply to the OP question. Thank you.😉

gvj

Dec 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top Ducato
Exp
2 years
Here’s another proper reply…..we used the tunnel last Friday, complete with our aged dog and cat.

Tips we picked up were as follows…
1. We paid our vet for a 12 page animal health certificate for each animal - apparently they could have both been included on the one form.
2. There were no checks on the van at all, not even the usual “can we check that you’ve turned your gas off”
we very much got the impression that Covid-19 precautions trumped detection of illicit pet food.
3. If you possibly can, find a sympa EU vet to issue your pets with an EU pet passport whilst you are abroad. This negates the need for the stupid, voluminous, expensive animal health certificates for future trips.
4. The most vital and asked for extra human documentation was Eurotunnel's own check list, PCR test results and vaccination status proof.

Both points 1. and 3. above were actually verified by the Eurotunnel pet check in desk.

OP
OP
GeeCee
Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Hi there.

Bon voyage 🇨🇵
Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks, and have a great time!

Apr 14, 2020
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Exp
Since 1995
Hi there.

Bon voyage 🇨🇵
5 months? I thought there was a 90 day limit, I've been cosidering a future excursion based on the state of the covid travel restrictions and the 90 day limit, am I incorrect?

Deleted User
Yes you need a green card. And we had to get one for the scooter in the back! Your insurer should issue it free and can be by email. Just remember to make sure it covers all the time you are away and maybe a bit more, just in case...

You may want to see my current thread on this topic search the below title:​

Green Card £15 fees - Devitt Insurance (CMC). Poll/discussion of others - do they charge???​

May 21, 2014
Llywel Brecon
Funster No
MH
Rapido M96
Exp
Since May 2014
We have been in France for 2 weeks now with the dog and came out via the Eurotunnel. We brought 2 kgs of dog biscuits as per the requirements and sailed through without searches. We have matched his biscuits here by manufacturer and ingredients without problem.
We have also obtained a EU pet passport.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We have been in France for 2 weeks now with the dog and came out via the Eurotunnel. We brought 2 kgs of dog biscuits as per the requirements and sailed through without searches. We have matched his biscuits here by manufacturer and ingredients without problem.
We have also obtained a EU pet passport.

Hi - regarding the EU pet passport you have obtained - could you give details of which Vets issued this, cost etc - did your dog have to have another rabies booster or did the Vet carry over the booster information from your UK passport? How long does the passport last?

Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back