Has anyone actually been stopped by police during lockdown? (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Apart from the previous post which was lifted from Facebook about a couple supposedly getting stopped after a long journey for a hab service, just wondered if anyone on here has been stopped, either in their motorhome or car, and what was the result?

I'm not looking to break any rules, but just wondered how widespread these supposed stops are? What is the real risk? Personally I have only driven about 4 miles a week just to the shops since lockdown, but this week have a 200 mile round trip to take my mum for medical treatment.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
During the first March lockdown I was approached by two police officers when I’d stopped to look at the (then) novelty of six cruise ships in Weymouth Bay. When I’d given my explanation, one of them said “shall we say you were having a walk sir?” And then we had a chat about one of the ships we’d both been on recently! I thought it was sensitively handled by them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We are full-timers and ran out of gas on last week so had to go to the garage to fill up. On the way back, we were stopped by the Police as our correspondence / vehicle registration address is mum in laws in London. They asked us about our journey and I explained that we were full-timing, were resident on the site near Truro and registered with Cornwall County Council but needed gas to cook and heat the van.

The Policemen were polite, courteous had gloves and masks on and wished us well on our onward journey (all 3 miles of it 🙂).

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yep, common to be stopped where we live.....many do, even questioned in Bars, Police in supermarkets......less of a big problem just now as most people have come to terms with what is needed of them....last weekend Murcia had a clamp down...loads of fines.....we have never been stopped, we are good guys.... :ROFLMAO: :pinocchio:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
During lockdown 1 in France we were questioned by different Gendarmes on five occasions, forest wardens twice and even the fire brigade checked our attestations twice. Not been stopped in England on various essential journeys in the moho.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Not in Pembrokeshire and I haven’t heard of anyone here who has.
During my very infrequent trips out the level of traffic on the roads seems the same as “normal” times whereas in the first lockdown the roads were deserted.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Not personally, I originally thought they were taking a light touch because we didnt have many cases but it didnt change even in the last couple of months when cases were higher.

I have however seen them sat at the entrance/exit to motorway services, presumably looking for cars with families in ( I was in a lorry).

Shaun929

Free Member
Sep 15, 2018
Sunny isle of axholme
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu I500
Exp
Late 2018
I have been working through all of this lockdown and the last one, travelling all over England in vans and cars ( been down in Christchurch for last two weeks and I am from Doncaster) and never been stopped or even seen anyone stopped.

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
Know a girl who was stopped and asked where she was going.
“Going to get my hair done” she said.
£200 fine on the spot
They then followed her and she still went to the hair dresser who was working in her home and fined them both:banghead:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Clivefrog was stopped going for his MOT 10 days ago

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Ii got stopped whie eating my beans on toast for brekkie up in the lake district during the tiered lockdown. They appeared taking my reg and pics, I opened the door asked them what was up.
They asked me a few questions then waved me on my way.

Last edited:
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Yes was stopped by a couple of PCSO out cycling a couple of weeks ago on a local forest track asking where I had come from and how far etc. We live near Ashdown Forest in East Sussex and the amount of people out walking has significantly increased since the first lockdown so now I have taken to going out just as it’s getting dark as too manny people around.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We were stopped in France in the first lockdown, but not in the UK. But when I'm out getting the weekly shop I get such looks from locals, yesterday a lady was walking backwards while glaring at us so much, she stumbled and nearly fell over!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Did not think they randomly breathalized... without reason !!!!
There is a bus stop on a busy road near me where they randomly pull in drivers for “speeding”.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
There is a bus stop on a busy road near me where they randomly pull in drivers for “speeding”.
Ah that makes sense.. fair chance if speeding then also been drinking... was you speeding?????😄😄

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Not been stopped personally but last week Dorset police were stopping some cars travelling between Yeovil (Somerset) and Sherborne (Dorset). Strangely they were not stopping and checking the passengers on the regular bus that travels the same route. Could have had 10 or so for the price of one :LOL:. Police intelligence = oxymoron?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I think Scottish police are taking a lighter touch. But then again I have been out in the car 4 times this year - once to go to work for Inservice day (worked from home since then), once to take my mum for her vaccine and twice to see my mum who is in our bubble. We can’t do that any more as OH is back in the office therefore a risk 🥲. Not seen a police car yet.
What I can say is roads were much busier than 1st lockdown, when there was a greater police presence.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Ah that makes sense.. fair chance if speeding then also been drinking... was you speeding?????😄😄
No, because I knew they were there:giggle:

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
No, because I knew they were there:giggle:
I am not nit picking you understand, but we have just gone full circle and does not explain why you breathalized, twice, in first place. Sorry but as I said I did not think they would willy nilly breathalize you for no reason.. I am intrigued 😑😑

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am not nit picking you understand, but we have just gone full circle and does not explain why you breathalized, twice, in first place. Sorry but as I said I did not think they would willy nilly breathalize you for no reason.. I am intrigued 😑😑
I think they just randomize it and have purges here and there.

I was pulled over in Wales about a year ago on a joint exercise by the police and VOSA. They were checking for red diesel and drink driving.

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Before the bad weather been travelling back and forth regularly to play golf - in Scotland and course out with my area but within the 5 miles from border allowed for exercise - and never been stopped. Scotland seems to have a lighter police touch than England going by the number of stoppage reports down there. I've heard anecdotally though that force in our area affected quite re numbers of officers having to self isolate etc. to the extent calls to them are going unanswered.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back