Has anyone actually been stopped by police during lockdown? (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Still no wiser.
If you look back to yesterday when you first posted someone did reply and they said they thought not. There was a very long thread a week or so ago about someone who was fined when they took their van for a habitation check only. The general consensus was that it would only be OK if a MOT was included which you don’t need. As Jimbohorlicks says April is a fair way ahead. I’m hoping to be at a gathering in the New Forest by then so with a bit of luck you will be OK by then but who knows. If we’re still in lockdown then no.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Got to go for habitation check middle of april 60 miles away.Is this allowed. The van is still under warranty 2 years old
Your Profile doesn't identify which m/h you have. Some manufacturers have announced that they will extend warranty deadlines so that having the hab check done outside the normal timeframe won't invalidate the warranty. I suggest you ask your dealer about it.
No one knows what will be the situation mid April which is 10 weeks away and there might be yet another mutation by then. The 'wise men' won't be announcing the latest restriction parameters until next Monday.

(Ooops. mine crossed with Carolyn's).

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
For what it's worth I carry out volunteer patient transport for cancer sufferers, I do a 240 mile round trip to Edinburgh quite regularly. I have not been stopped, the vehicle is heavily logoed, I have seen more police patrols on the roads I use. Driving up there is a real pleasure now the traffic is so light, I easily shave 15 minutes off the normal journey time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 7, 2020
Granada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Vision i677 SP
Exp
Since 2018
Stopped twice while on my motorbike going from Wrexham to Manchester on my way to an occupational medical, first lot were quite happy with the reason. The second one wanted to know why I was using my motorbike, this was about 1/2 a mile inside Wales on the way back. I told him it was too far to walk and as I didn’t want covid I was not spending half a day on public transport. He gave me a few dirty looks, went back to his car and after a few minutes waved me on. I think he was checking to see what vehicles were registered in my name, there is only the bike which was originally registered in Yorkshire.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Stopped twice while on my motorbike going from Wrexham to Manchester on my way to an occupational medical, first lot were quite happy with the reason. The second one wanted to know why I was using my motorbike, this was about 1/2 a mile inside Wales on the way back. I told him it was too far to walk and as I didn’t want covid I was not spending half a day on public transport. He gave me a few dirty looks, went back to his car and after a few minutes waved me on. I think he was checking to see what vehicles were registered in my name, there is only the bike which was originally registered in Yorkshire.
Why would he want you to drive a car rather than go on your bike? Neither has an impact on Covid. I could understand if he wanted to check your appointment but not your method of transport.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Kinlochewe and Torridon Community council have posted that a number of second home owners from down South are currently visiting their properties. Some people bend the rules to suit themselves. Our area is currently running at very low prevalence (28/100k and reducing daily) but we’re not allowed to travel to our house there so haven’t. Feels like a kick in the gut when others do.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Why would he want you to drive a car rather than go on your bike? Neither has an impact on Covid. I could understand if he wanted to check your appointment but not your method of transport.
Exactly. By the time I've put on full gear, boots, full face helmet and gloves not even wind can get in (or out :giggler: ).

Nov 7, 2020
Granada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Vision i677 SP
Exp
Since 2018
Probably because most people see motorbikes as toys rather than primary means of transport. Also the Yorkshire reg and dealers name on the plate plus the fact the rider has a really bad Glaswegian accent probably screamed non essential journey in his mind. He never asked to see my medical cert. Years ago I drove a company car all around Scotland and could get stopped upto 5 times in one night in the middle of nowhere and on 2 occasions breathalysed because they “believed I may have been drinking” which was pure bumph. Most of them were perfectly polite and just doing their job but you always get someone who is out for blood. My entire class in marine college spent 5 mins watching a traffic warden try to find a reason to book a car which he didn't like. He had a tape measure and was measuring every distance he could think off including the distance from the rear bumper to the start of the curve of the corner behind. When he gave up he turned round to see our entire class at the windows watching him. He left in a hurry for some reason.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not police but a friend's employee broke down in his car, breakdown company refused to come out until they had confirmed with his company that he was on essential business.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
A motorcyclist 'going for a ride' round the New Forest, 5 miles from his home has been stopped and fined. A crowd reported as 'thousands' gather together to celebrate Rangers winning a football match and no action is taken. The crowd's behaviour is endorsed by Rangers manager as totally understandable - thereby sanctioning others to do the same in future.

As far as Covid is concerned there is no 'Law of the Land' - the law now depends on what any particular police officer decides he/she wants, or can be bothered to do. With so many now vaccinated and cases plummeting surely it's time to make the rules 'health advice' rather than criminal offences?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I am not sure whether we have any police near here.
Just not seen one in our area for years.
Same here, When a catalytic converter was stolen from a company vehicle, 'they' sent round one of those pretend cheapo plods to see if I needed councilling, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Plenty of comments about on Twitter saying that none of these fines have been confirmed if challenged in court such comments are believable!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Not police but a friend's employee broke down in his car, breakdown company refused to come out until they had confirmed with his company that he was on essential business.
Thats outrageous. Are they refusing to take payment for the same reason?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Probably because most people see motorbikes as toys rather than primary means of transport. Also the Yorkshire reg and dealers name on the plate plus the fact the rider has a really bad Glaswegian accent probably screamed non essential journey in his mind. He never asked to see my medical cert. Years ago I drove a company car all around Scotland and could get stopped upto 5 times in one night in the middle of nowhere and on 2 occasions breathalysed because they “believed I may have been drinking” which was pure bumph. Most of them were perfectly polite and just doing their job but you always get someone who is out for blood. My entire class in marine college spent 5 mins watching a traffic warden try to find a reason to book a car which he didn't like. He had a tape measure and was measuring every distance he could think off including the distance from the rear bumper to the start of the curve of the corner behind. When he gave up he turned round to see our entire class at the windows watching him. He left in a hurry for some reason.
I was out in a lorry yesterday and saw a few M/c's and MH's about, not as many as last week because I was back home by 12. Must have seen over 50 last week between Shropshire and Malton and at least 6 Mh's

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Simple answer --- North Wales Police, known for being too sharp for their own good.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I was stopped by police in lockdown one, I was driving home from work, after driving a tarmac lorry. I was dressed like the tango ad man, head to toe in bright orange hi viz clothing, when the copper asked what was the reason for my travel, dressed like this I was robbing a bank says I, have a good evening sir says gevon and cornwalls finest. Let’s hope the dopey b@€%ers are still patrolling when this is over

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hubby got stopped today, just down the road, car had blue flashing lights on and he was pulled him over ... nowt to do with lockdown etc but that fact that Tazzy had jumped on the back parcel shelf and was sticking her tong out at the copper! :tounge:

Hubby was 'informed' that she shouldn't be up there as she would be a missile if he had to stop quickly ... I've told him loads of times but he takes no notice :rolleyes: ... hopefully he will this time otherwise he might end up in the clink ... and I'll leave him there for a while to 'reflect'.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I keep trying to get arrested 😍
1EF10488-713A-4EB7-BC3A-D1B205D1638E.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun