Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When I visited a free walk in L.F. testing station a couple of weeks ago, before any testing was done I was walked through how to register on the NHS Covid 19 App. then I took the test and about 40 minutes later I received a Txt message from the test station with the test results. There is no way I could amend this so do find your post a bit odd.
That was a test for which the result was reported by a third party, ie not you, so no possibility of it being falsified by you which the ones you do solely can be.

They accepted mine and wifey's which was done at a local pharmacy but was free. We just showed them the NHS text on the mob to the French border control, no quibble. The fact that it was done at a pharmacy would I suppose show it was the third party but it said nothing different so how would they know.
Again a third party confirmed the result, not you, I suspect if it was a NHS free one that you performed and reported the result for it would have something on it to indicate as such and may therefore not be accepted.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
That was a test for which the result was reported by a third party, ie not you, so no possibility of it being falsified by you which the ones you do solely can be.

Again a third party confirmed the result, not you, I suspect if it was a NHS free one that you performed and reported the result for it would have something on it to indicate as such and may therefore not be accepted.
But it was accepted. I suspect the French border control was even more confused than I. I am not complaining.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
Returning next saturday 3rd July. We've booked a pcr test at a lab in Neufchatel en Bray, but now I've got the issue of sorting out the 2 and 8 day test in the UK. It seems we can do a home test from Boots or the like, but have to show that we've booked it when we cross over. I can do that the day before, then we should be back home in time to receive it, as it takes 48 hrs to deliver. So that'll be three tests each when we have had both jabs. Ridiculous. We have not been in contact with anyone in France.
Not easy to prove ;)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Actually, just spent a lovely evening bbq (washed out in a big storm)*, with a lovely family of French Anglophiles. And yes, they've all had 2 jabs, though one was only last week. So I'm still a little p*ssed. Never mind, back soon to a 10-day Q.

*How could you manage to burn all the sausages in a washed out BBQ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But it was accepted. I suspect the French border control was even more confused than I. I am not complaining.
Yes because you did not submit the result yourself, it was done by the pharmacy an independent third party with no benefit to themselves to make it negative or positive therefore fully trusted (not that you're not trustworthy but obviously some people aren't).

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Bugger! Just got an email from Boots cancelling our Antigen tests. Well and truly screwed now.
Lucky me, managed to book same test's in different location and within 48hrs of departure. Can only assume original confirmed test cancelled because it was booked for a Saturday Morning.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes because you did not submit the result yourself, it was done by the pharmacy an independent third party with no benefit to themselves to make it negative or positive therefore fully trusted (not that you're not trustworthy but obviously some people aren't).
I don't quite get this ! When I walk into my local free testing station, I have no control what-so-ever over the result of the test. After taking the test in front of the tester, the swab is handed to him and that's me finished and on my way. Forty minutes later, or so I get a txt with the test results. However it clearly states its an NHS test result, so not acceptable for travel purposes. Nothing to do with a trust issue as far as I can see. Its never been made clear to me why a NHS test result is not acceptable to the French border force. It is what it is !

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Just to confuse this point even more, the actual wording on the Frence Gov. website states the following.

2.2. Health control measures​

All travelers coming from a country in the orange zone must present to the transport company and the border control authorities a negative PCR test dating from less than 72 hours before departure (departure of the first flight in case of travel with connection) or a negative antigen test less than 48 hours before departure (departure of the first flight in case of travel with a connection). Children under eleven are exempt from testing.

Vaccinated travelers must also present:

• a sworn statement attesting to the absence of symptoms of covid-19 infection and contact with a confirmed case of covid-19;
  • proof of vaccination status.
Nothing here about NHS tests not being accepted.
On the UK Government website it states
You should not use the NHS testing service to get a test in order to facilitate your travel to another country.
This is not a mandatory statement and I also wonder if it was aimed at the PCR test when first put on there web site.

The mind boggles ? Are we paying for Antigen tests when we don't need, to cross into France ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just my view but I don't think the NHS should be paying for testing just to allow people to travel. NHS Scotland don't pay for yellow fever vaccinations (and probably others) and I don't really see why this is any different.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
May I ask, When you went through the border checks in the UK on your way to France. Did both the UK and French border check your Antigen test or perhaps just the French before getting on the train ??

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Just to confuse this point even more, the actual wording on the Frence Gov. website states the following.

2.2. Health control measures​

All travelers coming from a country in the orange zone must present to the transport company and the border control authorities a negative PCR test dating from less than 72 hours before departure (departure of the first flight in case of travel with connection) or a negative antigen test less than 48 hours before departure (departure of the first flight in case of travel with a connection). Children under eleven are exempt from testing.

Vaccinated travelers must also present:

• a sworn statement attesting to the absence of symptoms of covid-19 infection and contact with a confirmed case of covid-19;
  • proof of vaccination status.
Nothing here about NHS tests not being accepted.
On the UK Government website it states
You should not use the NHS testing service to get a test in order to facilitate your travel to another country.
This is not a mandatory statement and I also wonder if it was aimed at the PCR test when first put on there web site.

The mind boggles ? Are we paying for Antigen tests when we don't need, to cross into France ?
From what you have written it does look like some are paying for tests when they do not need to. What bearing paying for a test has on it’s authenticity I really cannot understand. A test is a test as far as I’m concerned.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
May I ask, When you went through the border checks in the UK on your way to France. Did both the UK and French border check your Antigen test or perhaps just the French before getting on the train ??
I am fairly sure that it was only at the French Border Control just before we went through to the parking area for the train. We had not been asked before that, I was thinking we were through and was not prepared so got up to go to the back to find my phone, which of course was on the dashboard anyway. Carol slid across and showed HER phone, he readily accepted that, then asked was mine done, we said yes and he didn't even look. So it was cursory at best. But I have to say there was hardly anybody there, only one other camper that I saw on the train, and it was only the 2nd or 3rd day that access had been allowed anyway. Frankly, I wouldn't blag it again, and I only chanced it then on the basis that I was prepared to be turned back. The border control looked thoroughly bored and unsure.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Just my view but I don't think the NHS should be paying for testing just to allow people to travel. NHS Scotland don't pay for yellow fever vaccinations (and probably others) and I don't really see why this is any different.
It just adds to the quagmire of doubt and confusion. A test is a test, and should be valid as such. The amount of money they are throwing around at testing, offering kits to people who only want something for free and have no intention of using it unless really necessary, the cost of a few used for travel is minimal compared to that. Allowing it would create clarity. And most travellers would be happy to pay a sensible amount to the Government to avoid these chancers and quick money sharks and scammers making a fortune from the melange. A whole new market has opened up creating wealth out of a pandemic. It is causing doubt, confusion and unnecessary stress.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
MITHRANDIR and any other of you guys that have travelled UK to EU since the end of March.
What was the feeling / expectation of the EU customs guys as regards you taking your 'goods' into the EU. I'm thinking things like bikes, electrical equipment etc etc. Did they ask how long you intended staying in the EU or did they ask for a list of equipment or anything?
Asking as we hope to return to Spain in October and are thinking what our situation is as regards 'importing' equipment etc!
We entered Spain 2 1/2 weeks ago at Santander and the only thing they were interested in was if we had pets, didn't look anywhere in motorhome at all. Although we saw Plymouth side checking some commercial vans.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I am fairly sure that it was only at the French Border Control just before we went through to the parking area for the train. We had not been asked before that, I was thinking we were through and was not prepared so got up to go to the back to find my phone, which of course was on the dashboard anyway. Carol slid across and showed HER phone, he readily accepted that, then asked was mine done, we said yes and he didn't even look. So it was cursory at best. But I have to say there was hardly anybody there, only one other camper that I saw on the train, and it was only the 2nd or 3rd day that access had been allowed anyway. Frankly, I wouldn't blag it again, and I only chanced it then on the basis that I was prepared to be turned back. The border control looked thoroughly bored and unsure.
Thanks for that. I'm thinking a NHS test result would be acceptable but will pay for the Boots test just to be on the safe side. I might also take the free NHS test and offer this up at the crossing just to see if it is accepted. I would then let Funsters know so as to save them an unnesseccery expense.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don't quite get this ! When I walk into my local free testing station, I have no control what-so-ever over the result of the test. After taking the test in front of the tester, the swab is handed to him and that's me finished and on my way. Forty minutes later, or so I get a txt with the test results. However it clearly states its an NHS test result, so not acceptable for travel purposes. Nothing to do with a trust issue as far as I can see. Its never been made clear to me why a NHS test result is not acceptable to the French border force. It is what it is !

There are two main ways to get an NHS (lateral flow) test performed:
  1. via a kit which you obtain and use yourself and the result is known only to you with no third party (independent) intervention.
  2. a walk-in test where you use a kit they provide which you give back to them, they check the result then send it to you via text (possibly informed in other ways too but I'm not sure).
My take on it is if the test done was done and the (negative) result confirmed:
  • by you personally (as in 1. above) then it should not be accepted by border control as the result has not been verified by someone independent and people do tell porkies.
  • by a third party (as in 2. above) then it should be accepted by border control as the third party would have no reason to 'fudge' the result.
There is also obviously those which you pay for which are also independently verified but that's not what we are talking about.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
  1. via a kit which you obtain and use yourself and the result is known only to you with no third party (independent) intervention.

• by you personally (as in 1. above) then it should not be accepted by border control as the result has not been verified by someone independent and people do tell porkies.
I agree with you, and what you say makes sense.

However, you can report the result (in fact the instructions say you must report the result) on line then you get a text and an email back telling you what you've reported. These messages merely give your personal details and the result "Your coronavirus lateral flow test result is negative. It's likely you were not infectious when the test was done" followed by a load of advice. There is no indication that this is a self-test that has not been independently verified, so no border inspection could identify it as such.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with you, and what you say makes sense.

However, you can report the result (in fact the instructions say you must report the result) on line then you get a text and an email back telling you what you've reported. These messages merely give your personal details and the result "Your coronavirus lateral flow test result is negative. It's likely you were not infectious when the test was done" followed by a load of advice. There is no indication that this is a self-test that has not been independently verified, so no border inspection could identify it as such.
I see where your coming from and this is now making sense However, when you get the test result where its free and done by a tester the txt message you receive has some test codes with it and these are inserted into the Gov. web site and you receive confirmation about the test result. This is my understanding of what others have said and I will find out first hand come Friday when we take ours. I'm leaning more and more to this being accepted by the French border staff as there is nothing on the French Gov. website to say a NHS test result is not accepted. I'll let you know how I get on when we cross over.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
  2. a walk-in test where you use a kit they provide which you give back to them, they check the result then send it to you via text (possibly informed in other ways too but I'm not sure).
  • by a third party (as in 2. above) then it should be accepted by border control as the third party would have no reason to 'fudge' the result.
There is also obviously those which you pay for which are also independently verified but that's not what we are talking about.

A couple of questions
Do you receive a text message from the NHS after:
1) the independent third part has administered the test?
2) you have registered the results of a self administered test. ?

If so is it the same text?

If it is you can see why the UK government would insist that the test be a paid for one since that is the only way of guaranteeing that the recorded result is not fraudulent.

I don't think the French care whether the test result is delivered via the NHS or a Commercial provider as long as it is genuine.
If any of this logic is correct then the irony is that the reason we are having to pay for tests is because the `UK government has made free testing available and then rather stupidly allowed people to record the result on a website themselves without third party verification.
This is an invitation for people who want to fiddle the system to do so. (or need to because they lose their zero hours contract wages if they get a negative test for instance)

Also of relevance:

The rules for Eurotunnel documentation change on the 6th Julyl:
Up until the end of the 5th July you PRESENT the documents, which if I read correctly are:
a) the Eurotunnel : UK TO FRANCE COVID-19 CONTROL EXIT CHECK-LIST (You need a slightly different version for the return leg)
b) The French government: CERTIFICATE OF TRAVEL TO METROPOLITAN FRANCE FROM AN AMBER LIST COUNTRY sometimes known as the "Statement of honor form" (This comes in two flavours - one for fully vaccinated people , one for unvaccinated or partially vaccinated people)
c) At French border control you will need to present digital or paper evidence of the negative result PCR or LFT test provided by the test provider.

From the 6th onwards you UPLOAD these documents to your My Eurotunnel account area.
"Prior to travel you must upload the required documents/results (A) and (B) above to your booking. You can add your documents by logging into My Eurotunnel"
So no more just waving the documents at the UK or French control points. The relevant information needs to be uploaded.
Which is not to say you might not get away with waving the documents but it seems a little unlikely since they will be able to see on your booking record when you arrive at check-in if you have done the uploads or not.

see here:https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/#foca

Whether a similar process is being implemented on the ferries I do not know.

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just phoned a french testing centre for a PCR test prior to returning to the UK. Nearly all those centres give free testing to EU and non EU national with no booking required. You just walk in and get tested with result online within 10 hours. They don't open at the same time. Some do morning testing while some are only open in the afternoon. To find out where these centres are, search on google for the area you prefer. Going for a test next week. See what happens...

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I keep coming back to the point, what has it got to do with HMG for the rules to enter France. Why are they imposing upon us (or trying to) a paid for test to enter france ?

HMG should be setting the rules for return, not for exit. France should set the rules for entering their country

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back