Guinea pig part 2 (4 Viewers)

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
As some may be aware we are going to france tomorrow friday 11th june, and thought it would be a good idea to report on our experiences of actually getting into france, as i am sure there will be other people going and they may benefit from our experiences on our trip, but first just a few points to make clear,
We are aware of the FCO advice regarding foreign travel,
We are aware of travel insurance issues
We are aware of motor insurance issues
We are aware of the entry requirements into France (we think)
We are aware of the food issue into europe,
We are aware that rules may change while we are away,
We are aware that this trip won't be welcomed by everyone.
We are aware of the test and quarantine requirements upon our return to the UK.
This is not a thread about whether anyone should or shouldn't go abroad, just to list our experiences, so that may help others.
If these points are ones that you feel the need to comment on then this probably isn't the thread for you, there are several other threads for that.

Many thanks to Suavecarve.

We have the van packed i think, i am just trying to remember what it is i have forgotten, although i doubt i will. This will be our first "proper" trip in a PVC, as we have had A class vans before so may take some getting used to, i am not convinced that it will be big enough, Globecar Campscout, 6.36 metre for those who don't know, with a host of extras to make life easier, allegedly. It has to be fair swallowed all our "stuff" with room to spare, easily.
We plan to leave our home address in Derbyshire at approximately 12.00 pm, on the 11th, the reason for this time is our lateral flow tests are booked at Boots for 10.30am this was the earliest available, so that will have to do, costs £59.95 each. our plan is then to hot-foot it down to the Eurotunnel, which from our drive is 212 miles, so hopefully will have completed that in 3 1/2 hours, M1, M25, M20.
We have a flexplus ticket booked so we can turn up at any time, normally we would travel late evening and have some rest at the terminal before boarding in the early hours to avoid traffic, which works very well, but this time needs must.
As much as i love travelling in our van, i absolutely hate the drive down to the tunnel, it is god awful, particularly if the traffic is heavy, makes it doubly bad as i know what's awaiting us in france imv, the roads are better, it is generally much quieter traffic wise, Aires a plenty etc.
I will update this thread as soon as i can after passing through border control at the terminal and waiting to board, which generally isn't long.
Once in France (assuming we have done everything right and are allowed in), we will be finding a Intermarche, (my wife Roo, likes this supermarket chain) to stock up on supplies as we won't be taking any food from the UK as we don't want any potential complications at the terminal.
We don't have an itinerary for France, although we will be heading down to the pyrenees to a dark skies area, more of that later.
Will update when we have got our negative test result, and are departing.
Roo and Mark.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Not sure how going to intermarche fits in with self isolating though.

Self-isolation​

Passengers arriving in France from the UK must agree to self-isolate for seven days on arrival, and, if over 11 years of age, to take a PCR test at the end of the isolation period. Find more information on how to get a PCR test in France.

I wish you luck but you aren’t following the rules I think.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS

Self-isolation​

Passengers arriving in France from the UK must agree to self-isolate for seven days on arrival, and, if over 11 years of age, to take a PCR test at the end of the isolation period. Find more information on how to get a PCR test in France.

Suavecarve, it's started already :oops:

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp

Self-isolation​

No longer relevant as of the 9th June for those that have been fully vaccinated. I suggest you check up on the latest rules or read the other threads before commenting on a thread where the OP has carried out full due-diligence prior to their trip(y)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
“Travel insurance issues”
Was there a Guinean Pig 1 discussion on that?
Anyway, my travel insurance contacted me about travel during traffic light grading.
If the FCO had not set the county to “only essential travel” but a different gov dept. had made them an amber destination, my cover was valid. May need a ££ cover boost or prior notification but 🤷‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
“Travel insurance issues”
Was there a Guinean Pig 1 discussion on that?
Anyway, my travel insurance contacted me about travel during traffic light grading.
If the FCO had not set the county to “only essential travel” but a different gov dept. had made them an amber destination, my cover was valid. May need a ££ cover boost or prior notification but 🤷‍♂️
Yes, Suavecarve did one last year.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As some may be aware we are going to france tomorrow friday 11th june, and thought it would be a good idea to report on our experiences of actually getting into france, as i am sure there will be other people going and they may benefit from our experiences on our trip, but first just a few points to make clear,
This is not a thread about whether anyone should or shouldn't go abroad, just to list our experiences, so that may help others.
If these points are ones that you feel the need to comment on then this probably isn't the thread for you, there are several other threads for that.

We have the van packed i think, i am just trying to remember what it is i have forgotten, although i doubt i will. This will be our first "proper" trip in a PVC, as we have had A class vans before so may take some getting used to, i am not convinced that it will be big enough, Globecar Campscout, 6.36 metre for those who don't know, with a host of extras to make life easier, allegedly. It has to be fair swallowed all our "stuff" with room to spare, easily.
We plan to leave our home address in Derbyshire at approximately 12.00 pm, on the 11th, the reason for this time is our lateral flow tests are booked at Boots for 10.30am this was the earliest available, so that will have to do, costs £59.95 each. our plan is then to hot-foot it down to the Eurotunnel, which from our drive is 212 miles, so hopefully will have completed that in 3 1/2 hours, M1, M25, M20.
We have a flexplus ticket booked so we can turn up at any time, normally we would travel late evening and have some rest at the terminal before boarding in the early hours to avoid traffic, which works very well, but this time needs must.
As much as i love travelling in our van, i absolutely hate the drive down to the tunnel, it is god awful, particularly if the traffic is heavy, makes it doubly bad as i know what's awaiting us in france imv, the roads are better, it is generally much quieter traffic wise, Aires a plenty etc.
I will update this thread as soon as i can after passing through border control at the terminal and waiting to board, which generally isn't long.
Once in France (assuming we have done everything right and are allowed in), we will be finding a Intermarche, (my wife Roo, likes this supermarket chain) to stock up on supplies as we won't be taking any food from the UK as we don't want any potential complications at the terminal.
We don't have an itinerary for France, although we will be heading down to the pyrenees to a dark skies area, more of that later.
Roo and Mark.
Good luck mate, we followed suavecarve last year when he was guinea pig 1.
Strange coincidence as well we are exactly 212 miles from the tunnel , checked it often!
We have to do a bit of A50 before the m1 (y) :sun::sun:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Roo and Mark.
Good luck mate, we followed suavecarve last year when he was guinea pig 1.
Strange coincidence as well we are exactly 212 miles from the tunnel , checked it often!
We have to do a bit of A50 before the m1 (y) :sun::sun:
Edit sorry about posting this twice ,don't know how it happened.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, Suavecarve did one last year.

Self-isolation​

Please don't start before he has even left home :(

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000

Self-isolation​

There’s always one,
the rules changed yesterday, no self isolation required in france now.

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
I’m not “starting” anything. I didn’t realise and am happy to be informed that this requirement isn’t the case. What I’m less happy about is some of the responses which are a little patronising and assume some kind of hierarchy of knowledge of previous threads and their entire contents. I will apologise for my knowledge on this but not for failing to ask permission before raising a legitimate concern, nor for posting anything on any thread which I believe are adequately policed by Jim and only him.
I look forward to reading the rest in silence

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
hope you have a great trip, hoping to follow on in July (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am interested to find out what sort of reception you get from the French people.

Hopefully it will be friendly.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Suavecarve, it's started already :oops:
To be fair, you didnt say that you were aware of the change of the rules in France that negated the need to Quarantine upon arrival :whistle2:

Wishing you a bleeding lovely break, and really looking forward to seeing it through a different set of eyes and some lovely photos of France

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
You know if it was not for people like MITHRANDIR shackleton, Bilbo Baggins and Dr Livingstone we would all be worse off, the worst that can happen is you get sent home. And even then we have all learnt something, well done you.(y)
I hope its better than Shackleton’s trip on the Endurance.His ship was trapped in the ice and sank!😀

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I hope its better than Shackleton’s trip on the Endurance.His ship was trapped in the ice and sank!😀
What a lovely phrase, with a slightly different meaning for MITHRANDIR

"I m just going off to France, I may be a while"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back