Greece 2020 (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
You need to ask Pete, Tykatem to do your booking he gets much cheaper deals!

:xgrin:

We do not recommend an open return ticket with the offer Camping On Board as this is a limited offer and space goes very fast.
That means that if there is no space available for Camping On Board on your chosen date, you will not travel,

With that in mind and talking with the other couple accompanying us in their motorhome, we contacted anek lines this morning and asked them to make a booking for the return journey in July, they got straight back to us saying they could do this for an extra €3.05 per passenger. So all booked and paid for.

Pete

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Anyone sailing from Bari should consider a detour to Alberobello to see the Trulli houses

Yes, I visited that area a few years ago (courtesy of Ryanair to Brindisi) and really enjoyed it. Visited the Trulli houses plus Ostuni and Lecce which are both worth a visit.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Ok hold on to your hats everyone here it is....

Ancona - Patras 11th June camping on board 1 x motorhome 2 x passengers.
Viamare quote €728.40
Anek direct €271.40
Cost of open return ticket purched direct with Anek 1x motorhome 2 x passengers €194.20

I have not put the actual booking confirmation sent by Anek on the post as it includes passport numbers etc

You also have to factor in that the ferry from Bari - Igoumenitsa takes approx 9hrs where as the Ancona - Patras costs more as it takes 24hrs

Pete
Pete can you give me info on who to contact on this please as just had a quote off Anek direct €420 one way July 17th Ancona/Patras 2 seniors 1 motorhome
Ta

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Hi all,

We are committed as well have booked with viamare for a return in August ...

I know not best time to go but school holidays are still needed for us ( child at school and wife works at school ) .

Now my question ... How will we fare with campsites without pre booking and other parking spots in August ? Happy wild camping etc .

Daniel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Anyone sailing from Bari should consider a detour to Alberobello to see the Trulli houses
Totally agree with Robert Clark's recommendation reference Alberobello. We have visited the area a couple of times, staying in a trullo. And can't wait to return.

And yes, the town is a little bit touristy, but still well worth a visit. The houses are unique.

And it's a lovely area - only a short diversion if sailing from Bari or Brindisi. (y)

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
That's us commited now, Bari to Patras on 24th April. Just after Christmas Ancona-Patras had quickly booked up to and including 1st May, so we looked further south. Booked through Viamare (thanks or the recommendation :LOL:) we benefited from both 'over 60's' and 'early booking' discounts, so £221 one way for a 7.5 metre van ... happy with that.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Going off driving through Montenegro and Albania due to insurance issues. Now looking for straightforward arrival in Greece from Bari. We fancy the Peloponnese region. So it would make sense to arrive at Patras. However as this is our first trip to mainland Greece I wondered if it might be better arriving in Igoumenitsou and travel down south stopping and seeing more of Greece. Whats your advice?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Whats your advice?
Is this directed at anyone in particular ? If not, I will add my two penny worth, bearing in mind I've not been before!
Firstly and most importantly get your slates with your ferry booking as your options may now be limited.
I would advise arriving at Igoumenitsa which will give you the option of visiting Delphi and some of the beaches in Northern Greece before heading south and crossing the toll bridge or ferry option to explore the beaches on the Peloponnese. It will also give you the opportunity to chill out on some good beach stops immediately after arriving in Greece. I have chosen this option with the return crossing departing from Patras as I do not see the point of driving back up to Igoumenitsa.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Going off driving through Montenegro and Albania due to insurance issues. Now looking for straightforward arrival in Greece from Bari. We fancy the Peloponnese region. So it would make sense to arrive at Patras. However as this is our first trip to mainland Greece I wondered if it might be better arriving in Igoumenitsou and travel down south stopping and seeing more of Greece. Whats your advice?

It's our first trip to Greece too, so you shouldn't take any inference from our arrangements. We decided on Patras rather than Igoumentisa as we plan to visit the Peleponese then drive back through Bulgaria, Serbia and Bosnia, arriving back in France in time to see some of the Tour de France on our way home. Given all that we will look at seeing more of Northern Greece next time we go.

I think you'll find that Ferries from Ancona are filling up fast - earliest date for camping on board was 2nd May shortly after Christmas. Bari was a bit easier, but I'm sure PhilandMena are right, especially if you want camping on board.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
That's us commited now, Bari to Patras on 24th April. Just after Christmas Ancona-Patras had quickly booked up to and including 1st May, so we looked further south. Booked through Viamare (thanks or the recommendation :LOL:) we benefited from both 'over 60's' and 'early booking' discounts, so £221 one way for a 7.5 metre van ... happy with that.
We arrive Patras 28th! From Ancona
Michael

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
We spent 4 months in Greece 2018 Bari Igoumenitsa ferry, loved it before moving to the Peloponnese check out Meteors not to be missed then you can get ferry back from the Peloponnese Patra/Bari Patra/Ancona

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Now booked up for Bari to Igoumenitsou 16th April, returning Patras to Bari 28th May. Intend to leave around late March early April and take in the sights of mid to southern Italy. Florence is pencilled in but looking for advice for other 'must go' places.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Now booked up for Bari to Igoumenitsou 16th April, returning Patras to Bari 28th May. Intend to leave around late March early April and take in the sights of mid to southern Italy. Florence is pencilled in but looking for advice for other 'must go' places.
you might find San Marino worth a visit, Free Aire too.

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
Is lpg readily available in Greece and do either Spanish or french adapters fit at the station? Thanks.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Is lpg readily available in Greece and do either Spanish or french adapters fit at the station? Thanks.
Yep readily available just get the myLPG.eu app
Also not sure which adapter I used but it was one of those you mentioned

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520

You'll need a dish adaptor....

dish-adapter.jpg

Pete

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have just been reviewing the ferry situation and thought the following links might be useful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back