Greece 2020 (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Well that's us well and truly committed as I have now purchased our Ferry tickets . Dover - Dunkerque return and Italy - Greece return. Just need to get return ticket to Crete when the timetable becomes available. Looking forward to meeting up with Busman and perhaps the other odd Funster.

What date do you land in Greece? How long for?

There used to be a ferry from Gythion? (S. Peloponese), via Kithera to Crete, but I am not sure it still runs. If it does you could visit some of that area before going to Crete, or on the way back.

Geoff

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
End of April and will be there until end of July.

Sounds good as everything should be open and you will get out before it is too hot. (Had a boat there for 30 years)

Wildcamping or sites? Wilding is easy and more flexible. Do you know 'peejays' map on MHFacts - mine of info?

Jealous, because we, or prescisely Basia, do not have the time. Maybe I will position the MH down and Basia can fly down. Then I can see the interior and not just the 70 islands I have been to.

Geoff

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
We’re looking to go to Greece at about the same time, but plan to drive through the Balkans to get there. Not sure if we’ll make it to Crete or not. Are there any issues with wilding in Greece in the summer as we find the routine of campsites a bit regimented but do use occasionally.

You say it won’t be ‘too hot’ ... what sort of temperatures can be expected during June, please? Well probably be on our way back then as we plan to pick up some of the Tour de France on the way back.

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
What is the approximate cost of the return journey from Italy to Greece and what are the best ports to use? Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds good as everything should be open and you will get out before it is too hot. (Had a boat there for 30 years)

Wildcamping or sites? Wilding is easy and more flexible. Do you know 'peejays' map on MHFacts - mine of info?

Jealous, because we, or prescisely Basia, do not have the time. Maybe I will position the MH down and Basia can fly down. Then I can see the interior and not just the 70 islands I have been to.

Geoff
Wilding and use of occasional use campsite's for maintenence stops and visits to must see places like Delphi etc. Yes I have PeeJays stopovers, Camper Contact and Park4night, plus others.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We’re looking to go to Greece at about the same time, but plan to drive through the Balkans to get there. Not sure if we’ll make it to Crete or not. Are there any issues with wilding in Greece in the summer as we find the routine of campsites a bit regimented but do use occasionally.

You say it won’t be ‘too hot’ ... what sort of temperatures can be expected during June, please? Well probably be on our way back then as we plan to pick up some of the Tour de France on the way back.
This will be our first time in Greece and the research has been done. No real issue with wilding in Greece although getting a little more difficult each year. Temperatures for June can be googled, dependant on which part of Greece you are in.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
What is the approximate cost of the return journey from Italy to Greece and what are the best ports to use? Thanks.
Dam ! This could e a long one, so I'm going to keep it short with minimum explanation. Ancona - Igoumenitsa return 2 adults, 1 motorhome €771.0. bari - Igoumenitsa. Patras - bari Camping on board. € 450 Approx.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Phil and Meena
Just warning you Glenn and I are thinking of Greece in April ?. We're thinking of doing the North though and returning mid July before it gets too hot. Not booked anything yet. Currently in Spain. Hope you two are well

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Wilding and use of occasional use campsite's for maintenence stops and visits to must see places like Delphi etc. Yes I have PeeJays stopovers, Camper Contact and Park4night, plus others.

Sounds like you are well organized and do not need much more help.

Just a couple of minor tips.

If eating out take a 10-15-20 litre water container and ask to fill - usually not refused - I did that on my boat. They often have an outside tap for hosing down the patio eating area.

I would take a second cassette as that is probably the determining factor for wilding, so could double the time when you need to find a campsite - upsetting to be at an idyllic beach and to have to move for 'domestic' reasons. The cost of the second would probably be paid for in the time you are there. I know two MH people who have 3 cassettes.

I will shut up now unless you have specific Qs.

Geoff

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Phil and Meena
Just warning you Glenn and I are thinking of Greece in April ?. We're thinking of doing the North though and returning mid July before it gets too hot. Not booked anything yet. Currently in Spain. Hope you two are well
Hi Hills, yes we are both well although Mena is recovering from a bunnion operation and whilst over the worst is still restricted and hobbling like a good un. I looked at Northern Greece as my original plan was to head out that way is the lack sea and several Eastern European countries but ran out of time, so now doing the Peloponnese and Crete. I do fancy some of the beaches in Northern Greece and plan to visit Delphi soon after landing so might get to visit one or two on the way back to the bridge. So you can tell Glen he's had a lucky escape this time around. Our warmest wishes to you both and a Merry Crimbo

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds like you are well organized and do not need much more help.

Just a couple of minor tips.

If eating out take a 10-15-20 litre water container and ask to fill - usually not refused - I did that on my boat. They often have an outside tap for hosing down the patio eating area.

I would take a second cassette as that is probably the determining factor for wilding, so could double the time when you need to find a campsite - upsetting to be at an idyllic beach and to have to move for 'domestic' reasons. The cost of the second would probably be paid for in the time you are there. I know two MH people who have 3 cassettes.

I will shut up now unless you have specific Qs.

Geoff
Like the water container idea. We have 2 cassettes and I also have 20 bog in a bag and will probably get more before we depart as we are spending time in Austria on the way back and they seem to have little to no waste disposal points.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj6lMui4q3mAhXBse0KHYzaCzkYABANGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_1OO_FQLSFtWzot9-aKeAffusXeng&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwibu8Ki4q3mAhWOYsAKHZL5DrIQ9aACegQIDBBL&adurl=

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We booked up last week for the ferry to Greece in June, Ancona - Patras with an open return ticket and camping on board. Booked direct with Anek shipping and saved a fortune.

Pete

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We're thinking of doing this trip probably setting off end of April/very beginning of May, just looking at ferry options......
After some good advice on here Lenny HB we used Viamare. Previously we booked directly but found Viamare very knowledgable on all the offers and discounts and as we had a mixture of shipping lines it was a one stop shop... and I could speak to someone on the phone, Dorina, and she was a delight to deal with giving me tons of options in a well laid out email. I will use her for our Sicily trip later in the year.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
As in previous years, by booking direct with Anek online we saved a considerable amount when comparing the same trip with Viamare Ltd, after all they are only an agent of Anek lines.

Pete

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Well that's us well and truly committed as I have now purchased our Ferry tickets. Looking forward to meeting up with Busman and perhaps the other odd Funster.

Who is the other one? I thought there were plenty of odd funsters Phil!!

Have a good time, love to Mena.
See you both on the road

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Wish mena a speedy recovery.
I've heard from a lady who has experienced a bunion op, and said more painful than childbirth!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As in previous years, by booking direct with Anek online we saved a considerable amount when comparing the same trip with Viamare Ltd, after all they are only an agent of Anek lines.

Pete
I am sure it may be a possibility however some of the crossings I wanted are not available online at the moment. My experience with buying direct on the Barcelona to Civitavecchia route in 2016 with GRIMaldi was a bit fraught as their web site is/was crap and when I compared the other "agent" sites was not cheaper. But like you I have no provenance to present at this time that supports that assertion but nevertheless went ahead direct in the belief that somehow it must be cheaper as I am dealing direct and cutting out the middle man, as you have stated. This time I am comfortable with the service even if it costs a bit more, maybe those with an eye for detail can quote some exact this year price advantage going direct?

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We're thinking of doing this trip probably setting off end of April/very beginning of May, just looking at ferry options......
I would recommend you talk with the staff at Viamare, London office. They will undercut everybody else and will do everything for you. You have nothing to loose by giving them a ring.

Viamare Limited Suite 108, 582 Honeypot Lane Stanmore, Middlesex HA7 1JS United Kingdom Registered in England Co. No. 6413485 Tel.: +44 (0) 20 8206 3420 Fax.: +44 (0)20 8952 8082

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Wish mena a speedy recovery.
I've heard from a lady who has experienced a bunion op, and said more painful than childbirth!
Will do Sue. She will appreciate your kind words and you will be glad to know she is making steady progress and is improving day, by day. Just as well because with little help from me it's more a case of sink or swim. (There's a method in the madness). Safe travels.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Have a great time Phil, and Mena of course, enjoy.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Thinking of heading over to Greece beginning of April. Looking at boat from southern Italy but when you go looking at the ferry companies and type one into google, loads and loads of ripoff ferry agencies came up. Ideally would love to sail to Dubrovnik area and drive down through Montenegro and Albania but getting insurance cover seems difficult. I know there are threads covering the subject on here but none appear to come up with a solution. I did see a ferry to Dubrovnik (jadrolinija) that would cost £160 one way, thought that was reasonable.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thinking of heading over to Greece beginning of April. Looking at boat from southern Italy but when you go looking at the ferry companies and type one into google, loads and loads of ripoff ferry agencies came up. Ideally would love to sail to Dubrovnik area and drive down through Montenegro and Albania but getting insurance cover seems difficult. I know there are threads covering the subject on here but none appear to come up with a solution. I did see a ferry to Dubrovnik (jadrolinija) that would cost £160 one way, thought that was reasonable.
Crossing to Dubrovnik and driving down to Greece is doable but not sure of details, Boarder crossings , Insurance etc., I would have thought it more practicable and cost effective to just get a ferry across to Greece.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
This time I am comfortable with the service even if it costs a bit more, maybe those with an eye for detail can quote some exact this year price advantage going direct?

Ok hold on to your hats everyone here it is....

Ancona - Patras 11th June camping on board 1 x motorhome 2 x passengers.
Viamare quote €728.40
Anek direct €271.40
Cost of open return ticket purched direct with Anek 1x motorhome 2 x passengers €194.20

I have not put the actual booking confirmation sent by Anek on the post as it includes passport numbers etc

You also have to factor in that the ferry from Bari - Igoumenitsa takes approx 9hrs where as the Ancona - Patras costs more as it takes 24hrs

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back