Gravelines after 22:00 Saturday (1 Viewer)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We are due to exit the tunnel around 22:00 local next Saturday. After a few debates on where to stop, I thought I would give Gravelines a go as many rate it very highly. Am I in cuckoo land thinking I can get into the aire that late at night cos it will be packed for sure, or is it always worth a go? If so, where is the next one along if it is full? We are heading Eastwards into Belgium, then down towards Strasbourg / Black Forest. In my vast experience - of just one trip last Easter, I've done Cite Europe and wanted to try somewhere else or should I just revert to type and go for the safety Cite Europe?
As always, your advice is gratefully received and so to are alternatives.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Never been in high season, but never seen it anywhere near full, plus it's twice as big now as you can go on the grass behind, only ever seen one on there, and that not because it was full.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We've never been unable to get on there. (y) And we always visit when passing in one direction if not both.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
IMG_0131.JPG

This was the time before last we stayed there, and you can now go on the field to the right.(y):)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
No. I must not have worded it well. I mean that we've always found space at the aire. Never a problem, even before the field was available.

Wyn

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No. I must not have worded it well. I mean that we've always found space at the aire. Never a problem, even before the field was available.

Wyn
Sorry mate, me not reading your post properly, yeah that's what we have found(y):)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Alternative is Aire at Bergues - not much further East than Gravelines and lots of space, but no services.

Just outside nice old walled town - 5 minute walk for your fresh croissants

Geoff

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Alternative is Aire at Bergues - not much further East than Gravelines and lots of space, but no services.

Geoff
As it will be day one, we will have all tanks full that should be full and empty all those that should be empty so not worried about Services. Will anything be open Sunday morning?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As it will be day one, we will have all tanks full that should be full and empty all those that should be empty so not worried about Services. Will anything be open Sunday morning?
Yeah the bread shops and bars will be open, very often some sort of do on in the square as well but can't guarantee that.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We always use the Aire at the water sports centre in Gravelines, nice and quite and FREE. :)
Now this is something I keep hearing about, but never seen , where is it in relation to the other one or the town square, shall have look into it for our next visit.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Now this is something I keep hearing about, but never seen , where is it in relation to the other one or the town square, shall have look into it for our next visit.

It's the other side of the river/estuary whatever, you can see it from the official aire. I say official because the sports centre isn/t, but parking there is tolerated (as at many sports centres in France - always worth a look in an emergency). No services, but there aren't any at the official one either; there's a full service point about 500m away (signposted) €2.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's

'tis here...
https://www.campercontact.com/en/fr...ing-aire-de-camping-cars-du-parc-de-l-aa.aspx

There is also a large free gravelled area specifically for motorhomes opposite Camping de la Plage at Grande Fort Phillipe at 51.0026 2.09767

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.0...d9D_4ndGoo43SWZ1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

Pete

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We've used Gravelines a few times, usually when stopping a couple of days or going to au Cap Compass for a meal, but when we are just wanting somewhere to rest our heads, then get moving, it's Citie Europe every time.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
It's in Campingcompact and All the Aires book.
As you come into Gravelines off the A16, at the first set of Traffic Lights turn right then about 200 Metres turn right again into the Water Sports centre then immediately turn right again, which is more or less strait on and it's the 3rd car park on the left, signed. No facility but as I've said nice and quite. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We've used Gravelines a few times, usually when stopping a couple of days or going to au Cap Compass for a meal, but when we are just wanting somewhere to rest our heads, then get moving, it's Citie Europe every time.
Au cap compass for us every time, is one of these other Aires closer to it than the normal one

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We always use the Aire at the water sports centre in Gravelines, nice and quite and FREE. :)
We used that one on Sunday night before coming home really nice and quiet there were five others there but it takes up to fifteen vans.(y)(y)(y)(y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It's the other side of the river/estuary whatever, you can see it from the official aire. I say official because the sports centre isn/t, but parking there is tolerated (as at many sports centres in France - always worth a look in an emergency). No services, but there aren't any at the official one either; there's a full service point about 500m away (signposted) €2.
It is signed parking for Motorhomes so is officially recognised although not called an aire

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
It's in Campingcompact and All the Aires book.
As you come into Gravelines off the A16, at the first set of Traffic Lights turn right then about 200 Metres turn right again into the Water Sports centre then immediately turn right again, which is more or less strait on and it's the 3rd car park on the left, signed. No facility but as I've said nice and quite. :)
There are facilities but they are a few streets away and signposted. (y)

Wyn

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Snags on the train tonight. Loader wouldn't open so we couldn't get off forwards. Had to reverse 8 carriages. :rolleyes: Too late to drive anywhere at 22:45 so opted for safety Cite Europe - along with 50 others. (y) We will go over to gravelines and the sports centre one on the morrow and check them out. Thanks for your input. Gratefully received as always.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp

Geoff
We looked at gravelines 1 & 2. Don't think I would use No 1 as an overnight stop, because of the 7:50 charge, but may do if we came back that way and wanted to stay a day. No 2 was better imho good dog walks and quite. Bergues was very good though as suggested and would definitely go back or use that on day one. Good dog walks straight from the Aire around the walled town and through village into town square. Church bells were giving it large today - Sunday, and were great to hear. Moved off now to Boussois - a small 4 unit Aire right on the river. Great walks and a quaint little village. Free water and black and grey ditching. :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back