Globecar Modifications (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I quite like it to be honest Paul as if something goes wrong then I can replace them in 5-minutes. I've insulated anything which enters the van just to give it an extra level of protection.

That said, all of the supply lines are sandwiched in the double floor so it's just the waste water pipes that are external to the van. I'm going to add some winterised panels to the waste tank but only to the sides and to the ground-side.

Its a nice van to work on and the internal water pipes are really easy to inspect and replace if needed (unlike some vans which are really crappy to repair when something goes wonky with the water lines).

When are you getting your PVC :RollEyes:

It will be a while yet Andrew, years maybe, we are enjoying this little 6.48 metre Concorde at the minute, absolute brilliant winterisation, everything contained within a big heated double floor, waste, fresh, all pipes, a smashing little van. First van with Alde and its brilliant.
Our last van will be a PVC though I think, but will it be an electric PVC:D2

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Got distracted today making my internal silver screens. The 12V inline on/off switch arrived today so will get back to electrics in the next few days.

Don't let hubby wire it up or he may intentionally blow it up :xgrin:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It's becoming ever more apparent John just how many differences exist between the D-Line and H-Line factory models.

The H-line models could almost be a totally different brand of van if it wasn't for the name on the back door.

H-line better then Andrew?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
It will be a while yet Andrew, years maybe, we are enjoying this little 6.48 metre Concorde at the minute, absolute brilliant winterisation, everything contained within a big heated double floor, waste, fresh, all pipes, a smashing little van. First van with Alde and its brilliant.
Our last van will be a PVC though I think, but will it be an electric PVC:D2
I love the 640 DK model layout with flush fit windows all round as I have posted before.

If the truth be known Paul the 640DK was our main contender to the Summit.

Nicky and I just loved the seperate loo and shower combo in the DK with its outward doors that made up a private washroom etc; loads of rear space and a huge garage.

I never hear of anyone buying the DK and I'm not sure why - it's a fab bit of kit.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
H-line better then Andrew?

I have to be a bit PC here, lol :xgrin:

The Globecar Campscout and the rest of the D-Line family is, IMO, the pure breed line of Globecar, whereas the H-line is more in keeping with the modern masses albeit a better built version of the modern stuff.

Was that a good answer :xgrin:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have to be a bit PC here, lol :xgrin:

The Globecar Campscout and the rest of the D-Line family is, IMO, the pure breed line of Globecar, whereas the H-line is more in keeping with the modern masses albeit a better built version of the modern stuff.

Was that a good answer :xgrin:

Lol, very diplomatic Andrew.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If the truth be known Paul the 640DK was our main contender to the Summit.

Nicky and I just loved the seperate loo and shower combo in the DK with its outward doors that made up a private washroom etc; loads of rear space and a huge garage.

I never hear of anyone buying the DK and I'm not sure why - it's a fab bit of kit.
The 640DK was our second choice & at least a couple of Funsters have this model - @ludo kindly gave us a tour of his & it's an excellent design (y)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
The 640DK was our second choice & at least a couple of Funsters have this model - @ludo kindly gave us a tour of his & it's an excellent design (y)
The DK would have been perfect ... except we need long singles for OH as over 6’. It’s a great design.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm watching this with interest to pinch your ideas (those which I haven't already done).....:D

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I laid down in the Hymer van 4x4 Andrew as a little test at Tyne Valley, I would just about manage, the insert cut outs either side make all the difference.

A bit of a tight squeeze then Paul.

Once you get into the realms of 6ft-plus then the choice of PVC options seem to diminish quite quickly.

I'm only 6"1' but I found it difficult at times.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
My last mods of 2018 completed...

Lighting idea stolen shamelessly from @Paul_Oxon . The led strip lights are dimmable and are bright enough to see inside the cupboards over the bed. The strip over the cab brighten up the whole area but were specifically put in to allow reading while sitting in the cab seats.
The thicker internal Silver Screens were made from YBS SuperQuilt, finished with metal tape. They are held on with heavy duty Velcro. The smaller windows covering is just ThermaWrap bubble insulation, again held on with Velcro.
20181231_161602.jpg
20181231_161310.jpg
20181231_161238.jpg
20181231_160911.jpg

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
That’s a lovely job that you’ve done there Sue and also a beautiful dog.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@CamperSue ... do you by any chance have an aversion to aliens aiming their mind-altering 'though rays' at you whilst in your camper? :xgrin:

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
@CamperSue ... do you by any chance have an aversion to aliens aiming their mind-altering 'though rays' at you whilst in your camper? :xgrin:

HaHa... I'm trying to preserve my few remaining braincells.

I did laugh... i go out in a metal box (van) and then shut off the few openings with more metal!!!

Now I know how a christmas turkey wrapped in foil feels.
:xrofl:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
HaHa... I'm trying to preserve my few remaining braincells.

I did laugh... i go out in a metal box (van) and then shut off the few openings with more metal!!!

Now I know how a christmas turkey wrapped in foil feels.
:xrofl:
... bet you're grateful there isn't any stuffing! :xsurprised:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Today's Long Topic is: Squeaky Floors in Globecars:

As some of you may already know there have been a number of reports recently by owners of newish Campscouts whereby their vans have developed a squeaky floor during the initial manufacturers warranty period.

Why do I mention this - because our van has developed the same issue but in my case it's just by the main door.

I do know that SMC is aware of the Campscout issue since two separate Campscout owners have already reported the problem to the company in November and they are awaiting on a diagnosis of the issue from Globecar.

I've not yet reported my own issue to SMC but today I have taken the liberty to do some investigative work on the floor and I think I may have established the main issue - famous last words eh!

In basic terms it seems that the floor is bonded to the metal fabric of the vehicle using automotive expandable foam and where the floor section itself is made from a thin wooden surface with a Styrofoam base. The problem develops (IMO) when the floor is walked on and the resultant pressure then compresses the Styrofoam base. It seems from my investigations that the Styrofoam used in the floor base is not able to rebound into it's original shape so this results in the foam creating a gap between the floor section and the metal skin of the vehicle. This gap then allows the floor to flex and in my case the moving floor then rubs up gainst my plastic B-pillar and other trims bits to cause the squeak.

I'm very lucky due to the location of the problem but if this was anywhere else in the van then it would have to be a furniture-out and floor-up job.

How to resolve this? I'm still working on it guys. I could inject a silicon compound or expandable foam into the void but I reckon that this action would only serve as a temporary fix.

I may therefore need to insert strips of 4mm thick wooden dowel under the floor so that it fills the void and then cuts into the Styrofoam layer to help create stability to the floor section itself.

That said, this could be a one-off issue or alternatively I may just need to chat with the dealer for them to advise.

Here are a few pics for you on how I've established my diagnosis:

1. The effected area:
20190101_144826.jpg

2. I stripped out the lower B-pillar and wires. (I found a coiled wire labelled 'Monitor' in the process).
20190102_115301.jpg

3. This is a picture of the components which are located at the bottom of the B-pillar. The crappy piece of balsa wood which you see in the pic is stuck in place to help keep the outer B-pillar plastic (hab door side) in its position. Note: The end of the screwdriver relates to the start of the area of the wood which has developed a gap under the Styrofoam layer:
20190102_115435.jpg

4. This is a close-up pic of the floor covering which is comprised of two layers; the wood layer is 6mm thick and the Styrofoam layer is 12mm thick. Note: A gap of 2mm is present in the pic but once an element of direct pressure is placed on the floor then the Styrofoam compresses by a further 2mm so in theory the floor drops by 4mm, possibly 5mm in places. This may not seem a great deal but it's this depression that creates a friction on the other vertical wood parts and joints in the van which then causes the loud squeaking noise:
20190102_120005.jpg

5. There is also a possibility (from the pic below) that the expandable foam which, is used to fill the gaps under the Styrofoam layer, has not been spread evenly so this will create a natural gap which then gets worse when the floor has pressure applied:
20190102_121200.jpg

6. Finally, it was a bit cold outside today so this is my take on Pigs-In-Blankets, AKA, Rotti-In-Blankets. He was quite cosy :xgrin:
20190102_123310.jpg

Sorry for the very long post.

All the best,

Andrew

Last edited:
Reactions: f6c

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hmmm looks like the wrong spec material is being used. Looks like a Styrofoam insulated sheet type effort which is effective at insulating in a non dynamic environment, I.e. it's not meant to move! Repeated compression and relaxation will cause that type of material to fail and the problem is likely to get worse until the Styrofoam layer becomes as compressed as it can get....... I have a company next door to me at work which do all manner of weird stuff so may ask them if they have any thoughts or solutions.......
Had there been beams or some kind of fixed hard support in places that would have prevented this imo. .

My 2penneth for what it's worth...

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hmmm looks like the wrong spec material is being used. Looks like a Styrofoam insulated sheet type effort which is effective at insulating in a non dynamic environment, I.e. it's not meant to move! Repeated compression and relaxation will cause that type of material to fail and the problem is likely to get worse until the Styrofoam layer becomes as compressed as it can get....... I have a company next door to me at work which do all manner of weird stuff so may ask them if they have any thoughts or solutions.......
Had there been beams or some kind of fixed hard support in places that would have prevented this imo. .

My 2penneth for what it's worth...

That's a damn fine idea.(y) This is not my thing TBH so in theory I'm just the biff with the camera.

That said, if we look at the materials as a sandwich (wood - Styrofoam - expandable foam) then the weak point on mine appears to be the area where no expandable foam is present.

I'm not sure where the weak points are on the others vans but I would be interested to know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back