Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I think I will do my Autosleeper what sealant did you use Blueknight and how did you apply it ?

Hi Mike,

I used Hammerite black underseal with the usual waxoil additive, applied using a 1-inch tipped paint brush. Anything bigger will restrict your ability to access the suspension and sub-chassis areas (and lots of gloves).

I did everything including the pressed metal joins on the chassis but I paid particular attention to the sub-frame, suspension components and any place where an ancillary piece of equipmemt was attached to the underfloor.

I was really surprised just how well Globecar has added an extra barrier of underseal to the bits that have been altered during the conversion phase.

Stick a radio on and off you go Mike

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Thanks Andrew I will try and get it done before Xmas but somehow I think I will be pulled out from under the van to go shopping AARGH.:xshout:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks Andrew I will try and get it done before Xmas but somehow I think I will be pulled out from under the van to go shopping AARGH.:xshout:

If you can get it done before your next adventure Mike as you really don't want to be trapping salt deposits under any protective barrier.

Happy painting:xwink:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
..........and I have read numerous times that spray grease is the best stuff.

I would agree Paul but have you seen me in action with an aerosol can - I would grease the walls of the house, the dog and the neighbours cat:xgrin:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Neckender

G'Day John,

I've been following your battery questions on the various threads and I've just noticed that your batteries are located under the drivers seat.

My single AGM is under the passenger seat but would you mind posting up a pic of your set-up once you've removed the seat.

TIA,:xThumb:

Andrew

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Im just filling my time in today so here's a completely useless sound bite for you guys.

My total modification costs too date:

1. VB-Air: Nil cost (transferred from the Pilote).
2. Auto Gaslow system: Free via SMC.
3. Tyrepal TPMS: £83.95 (Thanks to Karen's discount code @Wombles ).
4. 2 x carpet remnants: £40

Rebates:

5. £48 from the return of my 2 x 6kg calor bottles.
6. £112 returned from the Pilote's road tax.

Which means that I'm still +£36 in pocket.

Right then, I'm off to twiddle my thumbs somewhere.:xsad:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
@Blue Knight Andrew I only just got your message and I’ve already put my seat assembly back, so no pictures sorry.
Under my drivers seat was originally 1 battery to the rear with a battery clamp fitted at the front of the battery.

If yours is the same under your passenger seat you remove the clamp and another battery will just slide in the space, refit the clamp as this will now hold both batteries.

I also went to a auto electric shop and they made me 2 new battery leads and clamps made to measure so as to join the batteries together cost I think was £4 or there about.
I also put a piece of external pipe insulation over the positive terminals so impossible for any contact with the seat mechanism.

John.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Blue Knight Andrew I only just got your message and I’ve already put my seat assembly back, so no pictures sorry.
Under my drivers seat was originally 1 battery to the rear with a battery clamp fitted at the front of the battery.

If yours is the same under your passenger seat you remove the clamp and another battery will just slide in the space, refit the clamp as this will now hold both batteries.

I also went to a auto electric shop and they made me 2 new battery leads and clamps made to measure so as to join the batteries together cost I think was £4 or there about.
I also put a piece of external pipe insulation over the positive terminals so impossible for any contact with the seat mechanism.

John.

Cheers John, I've had a quick look and it seems as if the second battery will be slightly higher than the rear - is this correct or not.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
For info guys:

I've removed the interior light cluster in the ceiling so that I can hardwire my Transcend dashcam but in doing so I noticed a gap between the Remis blind housing and the windscreen which allows heat to escape directly into the roof lining. This gap runs about 90% of the length of the screen so I am going to seal it accordingly or else this will allow a lot of heat to escape to the metal roof if untreated. Pics below.

Also, I've noticed that the B-pillars are not insulated (as expected) so I'm going to remove the trim and line them accordingly as there's nothing but cold metal below.

I've also cut a new floor template for the cab area so with a bit of luck this will seal and therefore insulate the entire floor - no gaps!

20181213_145155.jpg

20181213_145055.jpg

20181213_144953.jpg

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Carpet Mod Phase-2 today.

I cut the templates for the dining area and the Fiat cab today and we've chosen a slightly different colour carpet to the rest of the van; the new stuff matches the upholstery and freshens up the cab too.

We've used a total carpet area of 7.75m2 to do the entire job and at £40 for £150 worth of carpet, albeit remnants, then I'm sure you'll all agree that it's good value for money.

.......plus, the jack/tool box has now been moved to under the drivers seat.

Some pics guys:

20181214_153011.jpg

20181214_152428.jpg

20181214_153129.jpg

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Blue Knight , Andy do you ever stop.?:xgrin:

I don't think I do Dave :xgrin: I didn't mention it before but I have also fitted a second 2-channel monitor above the single DIN Blaupunkt radio. I'm just being geeky here but the aim is to have the following camera set-up.

1. Front dashcam.
2. Rear dashcam.
3. 2 x Rear view cameras. (Both via Monitor-1).
4. 1 x near-side high-mounted PIR camera. (Via Monitor-2).
5. 1 x underbody/chassis-mounted PIR camera to monitor ground clearance (via Moniter-2).

6 cameras in total.

My Tyrepal came today so that'll be an extra gizmo for the cab.

All the best,

Andrew

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Very stylish - I like it. Not sure it would stand up to our mucky pup, though.

It'll be fine Sue for pooches :xgrin: If I destroy one set of carpets then I'll just pop down to the remnant shop to cut some more using my new templates.

The making of the templates did take a bit of time but they were worth it.:xwink:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
I too currently have the cab interior lamp out of our Bailey (on a peugeot chassis) the gap between the headliner and the roof looks just like your pic but I was hoping/expecting that putting the lamp housing back in and screwing it tight would pull the headling back up and close the pictured gap ?
I’ll check when I do it now rather than just assuming !

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I too currently have the cab interior lamp out of our Bailey (on a peugeot chassis) the gap between the headliner and the roof looks just like your pic but I was hoping/expecting that putting the lamp housing back in and screwing it tight would pull the headling back up and close the pictured gap ?
I’ll check when I do it now rather than just assuming !

Once you replace it Paul then it'll probably sit back in the head lining only without filling the gap. I'm looking at the various options but when I have a couple of solutions then I'll post them up.:xThumb:

Cheers,

Andrew

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
I don't think I do Dave :xgrin: I didn't mention it before but I have also fitted a second 2-channel monitor above the single DIN Blaupunkt radio. I'm just being geeky here but the aim is to have the following camera set-up.

1. Front dashcam.
2. Rear dashcam.
3. 2 x Rear view cameras. (Both via Monitor-1).
4. 1 x near-side high-mounted PIR camera. (Via Monitor-2).
5. 1 x underbody/chassis-mounted PIR camera to monitor ground clearance (via Moniter-2).

6 cameras in total.

My Tyrepal came today so that'll be an extra gizmo for the cab.

All the best,

Andrew
Bloody hell your be like a TV license van :xrofl:

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
It'll be fine Sue for pooches :xgrin: If I destroy one set of carpets then I'll just pop down to the remnant shop to cut some more using my new templates.

The making of the templates did take a bit of time but they were worth it.:xwink:
You could do copies and flog them :xgrin:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
As soon as a second Summit-640 lands in Blighty then I'll have a go selling them Rob. :xgrin:

That said, I think the front two templates will fit Karen's van @Wombles
Not sure - we only have a little 6m one!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back