Gaslow turn off when filling? (1 Viewer)

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi never gaslow before heard different views do you turn the bottles off when filling or just leave them open. I had a lpg tank before and never had to close the tank when filling. Your thoughts pls

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Always turn it off when refilling........ a lot of pressure.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I got alugas (great system BTW) and I’m sure I was instructed to just fill, don’t even have to open the locker door, just connect and fill

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I got alugas (great system BTW) and I’m sure I was instructed to just fill, don’t even have to open the locker door, just connect and fill

Me too.. alugas that is... but always turn both bottles off before filling...
It just makes sense ...

Reactions: GJH

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years

I was told to turn off with gaslow , but when I had the alugas fitted on the new van they told me there is no need to turn off !

Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
We also have Alugas and were told to just fill, so I'm confused. How can you get gas into a bottle when the valve is shut?

I was thinking the same thing.
I have gas-it bottles and just fill them never even thought about turning them off

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We also have Alugas and were told to just fill, so I'm confused. How can you get gas into a bottle when the valve is shut?
The valve is on the outlet of the bottle
Between the bottle and the regulator
The reason therefore to close the valve is to protect the regulator from too much pressure when filling

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I turn it off because I don't trust the garages to maintain their pumps properly. A dodgy pump could cause a surge or over pressure event that could in theory damage the regulator in such a manner as to allow full flow of gas into the van through the regulator.

I don't know this for a fact, but I am not prepared to take the chance so I turn off before filling.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I had a lpg tank before and never had to close the tank when filling. Your thoughts pls
That sort of answers your question... as there isnt any difference between filling an underslung tank and refillable cylinders... ie you will most probably not have a problem if you dont shut the valve ...but best practice and advice seems to be to shut the valves..

I did look into this a good while ago and for what its worth i found that the filling pressure which is typically about 7 bar or 100psi above vapour pressure on the day ( which is temp dependant ) still falls a good way short of the pressure that regulators are capable of withstanding...
Thats why i suspect folk who dont bother like yourself and me:LOL: and those who forget dont have a problem(y)
Andy.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi never gaslow before heard different views do you turn the bottles off when filling or just leave them open. I had a lpg tank before and never had to close the tank when filling. Your thoughts pls
I have a bulk tank & turn off from the tank for the simple reason that I have to turn on , open, the inlet thumb wheel to allow gas into the tank from the remote filler. The inlet & outlet thumb wheels are positioned either side of the tank gauge.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I turn it off because I don't trust the garages to maintain their pumps properly. A dodgy pump could cause a surge or over pressure event that could in theory damage the regulator in such a manner as to allow full flow of gas into the van through the regulator.

I don't know this for a fact, but I am not prepared to take the chance so I turn off before filling.
An engineer from Gaslow suggested this particular scenario to us

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
As I always turn the bottles off when driving, and always drive to and from the filling station, the bottles are naturally turned off.
That accords with the advice received when the Alugas bottles were fitted.

Errrr the system automatially turns the gas off when driving doesn't it and only switches on when you turn the hab systems back on

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick as unless my system switch is on we have no gas

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Errrr the system automatially turns the gas off when driving doesn't it and only switches on when you turn the hab systems back on

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick as unless my system switch is on we have no gas
Yep, wrong end of the stick.
It is only permissable to drive with the gas on if you have the Secumotion regulator together with either anti-rupture pigtails or bottles with anti-rupture valves.

The Secumotion regulator has a crash sensor which cuts of the gas in the event of an accident.
The anti-rupture pig tails/valves cut the gas off if the hose between the bottle & regulator ruptures.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Always turn off while driving and before filling.

Reactions: GJH
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Yep, wrong end of the stick.
It is only permissable to drive with the gas on if you have the Secumotion regulator together with either anti-rupture pigtails or bottles with anti-rupture valves.

The Secumotion regulator has a crash sensor which cuts of the gas in the event of an accident.
The anti-rupture pig tails/valves cut the gas off if the hose between the bottle & regulator ruptures.

Ta @Lenny HB
No not totally got wrong end of stick got those just got the impression when the power goes off so does the gas will double check when we get Lockdown released the next time

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
How could it possibly cause damage to the regulator?
The pump pressure can never exceed the working pressure of the bottle when in use so the pressure on the regulator will remain constant.
I was advised by the engineer from Gaslow to always turn off before filling due to potential damage to the regulator
Though I do bow to the superior knowledge of Funsters

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
How could it possibly cause damage to the regulator?
The pump pressure can never exceed the working pressure of the bottle when in use so the pressure on the regulator will remain constant.

That's what the people at Autogas 2000 said and no need to turn off at all.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ta @Lenny HB
No not totally got wrong end of stick got those just got the impression when the power goes off so does the gas will double check when we get Lockdown released the next time
Never come across a system like that. If you have an underslung tank with electric cut off valve if would be possible wire it to do it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was advised by the engineer from Gaslow to always turn off before filling due to potential damage to the regulator
Though I do bow to the superior knowledge of Funsters
Sorry if that's how it sounded, certainly wasn't intended but think about it.
The pressure in the pump and pressure in the bottle have to be equal for the pump to stop dispensing if filling to capacity.
If the pump pressure was higher then it would have to increase the bottles pressure to auto stop and would override the 80% mechanism.
That increased pressure may damage the regulator.
Turning off the bottle will have no effect as the pump will still increase the bottles pressure beyond its normal working pressure to auto stop the pump.
Now you open the valve and release that increased pressure to the regulator anyway.

The only way damage could happen is if the pump was faulty and delivering an excessively high pressure.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry if that's how it sounded, certainly wasn't intended but think about it.
The pressure in the pump and pressure in the bottle have to be equal for the pump to stop dispensing if filling to capacity.
If the pump pressure was higher then it would have to increase the bottles pressure to auto stop and would override the 80% mechanism.
That increased pressure may damage the regulator.
Turning off the bottle will have no effect as the pump will still increase the bottles pressure beyond its normal working pressure to auto stop the pump.
Now you open the valve and release that increased pressure to the regulator anyway.

The only way damage could happen is if the pump was faulty and delivering an excessively high pressure.
A faulty pump was the reason he quoted
As some pumps are not correctly calibrated

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A faulty pump was the reason he quoted
As some pumps are not correctly calibrated
But i covered that scenario.
If the pumps faulty its putting too much pressure in the bottle.
You laterr open the valve and release that extra pressure to the regulator..... Its no different to filling with the valve open, the higher pressure is still going to hit the reg at some point.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Never turn mine off.

I have crash regulator and 4 valve gasit bottles with built in valves.

I'd have to open the gas locker to turn the bottles off before filling and I don't do that as some garages don't like to see you opening lockers etc.

I doubt folk with lpg powered cars turn their tank off either

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back