Gaslow filler in cupboard (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Thinking of having Gaslow fitted in my van. Our local guy suggested having the filler in the gas bottle cupboard to save cutting a hole in the van. However I have read that some filling stations will not allow filling in a cupboard. Has anyone had this problem?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't need to cut a hole in the van wall, fit it in the skirt, the small square fillers make a neat job.
Been refused in portugal when they said we don't fill bottles, pointed at the filler and said it was a tank and they filled me up.

P1110080.JPG

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Mines in the locker too and never had a problem in 8 years.
However if i was fitting it now I would have an outside filler.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've had a Gaslow system since 2009 and have twice (from memory) been refused a fill as our filler was inside the gas locker, so this year I fitted a new filler outside in the rear bumper (we have a PVC), using a square filler. I'd do the same on all MHs from now on just to save having any aggro.

gas filler 1.JPG
gas filler 2.JPG

gas filler 3.JPG
gas filler 4.JPG
gas filler 5.JPG

As an aside, it is very easy to fit a refillable cylinder system so you might want to consider doing it yourself anyway to save the labour costs, especially if the company aren't happy about putting it outside and will increase the costs for doing so.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’d check with the view of your local supplier, on the assumption that you’d be refilling with them most of the time. I usually self-fill and have not had a problem with the filler point being within my locker. If I was refused anywhere else, I’d simply move on.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
@Minxy Girl do you think cable ties are good enough for the tubing? And I think you should have a grommet where it goes through the metal.

Joe

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Minxy Girl do you think cable ties are good enough for the tubing? And I think you should have a grommet where it goes through the metal.

Joe
The 'green tubing' is actually an extra large (diameter) piece of hose pipe that goes over the stainless steel braided gas hose to protect it, the cable tie is only holding on the garden hose. :)

Details on this thread:

LPG filler point

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Looks good quality garden hose;)

Joe
Yup, I 'call' it garden hose but it was just an oddment, about 2ft long, that had been thrown away at a building site in France, just sitting in a rubbish pile, so it was 'rescued' and got a new home. :D2

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Thinking of having Gaslow fitted in my van. Our local guy suggested having the filler in the gas bottle cupboard to save cutting a hole in the van. However I have read that some filling stations will not allow filling in a cupboard. Has anyone had this problem?
I think the ruling is that you can use a filler in the cupboard as long as it is fixed. Our Gas-It filler is in the cupboard and we have had no problems in using it.

OP
OP
P
May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Hi Guys
Many thanks for your feedback. Will decide when I get to the workshop and discuss with fitter. Like most things in life, there are pros and cons.
Views well worth my £15 pa.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
IMO not worth the risk of putting it inside, if you are low on gas and get refused and the the next fill up point is over 50 miles away you are stuffed.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you have two bottles and fail to notice that one is already empty, you'll soon learn to monitor it more closely if you suffer the consequences described. One of the benefits of refillables is that you don't need to wait until a bottle is empty before refilling. Just do so at your convenience.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think the ruling is that you can use a filler in the cupboard as long as it is fixed. Our Gas-It filler is in the cupboard and we have had no problems in using it.
Unfortunately there are no hard and fast 'rules' ... its purely down to the where you are filling and what they will and will not allow.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It sounds like the fitter is looking for an easy way out or else doesn't trust themselves or have the confidence to fit an external filler.
Take a trip to autogas2000 in thirsk.
They have the supplies and the know-how.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ours is in the skirt and I find it easy to get to. Just beef the skirt up a bit.

Haven't been refused anywhere yet.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The perception that opening a locker to fill is that it may be standard bottles you are attempting to fill.

The stations attendants cant be arsed to (and why should they) come out and inspect every motor home that wants gas,
Simply opening a locker MAY therefore be reason enough to refuse service

Connecting via a recognised filler, in a recognised ie usually outside the vehicle position No Problems
Your choice, mines outside

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I've had a Gaslow system since 2009 and have twice (from memory) been refused a fill as our filler was inside the gas locker, so this year I fitted a new filler outside in the rear bumper (we have a PVC), using a square filler. I'd do the same on all MHs from now on just to save having any aggro.

That looks very neat, but I'd be wary for 2 reasons.

1 (minor) - you'd have difficulty fitting a Busbiker or similar bike rack.

2. If your bumper gets clobbered by your own or someone else's fault, your gas filler gets it in the neck as well. I'd still go for the heroic surgery option and have the filler point cut into the side panel of the van out of immediate harm's way.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That looks very neat, but I'd be wary for 2 reasons.

1 (minor) - you'd have difficulty fitting a Busbiker or similar bike rack.

2. If your bumper gets clobbered by your own or someone else's fault, your gas filler gets it in the neck as well. I'd still go for the heroic surgery option and have the filler point cut into the side panel of the van out of immediate harm's way.
1. No wish to have a busbiker etc rack ... we have one on the door already and hardly use it ... well, not for bikes anyway ... in fact the last time it was used was to move a wheelbarrow!:D2

2. I did consider this when mounting it and was going to put it higher up but due to us having the large rear light so close to the bottom of the corner panel trying to get the filler above it would have been a major dismantling job, but the other option was to go through the metal structure if I wanted it on the side which I didn't think was a good idea as it then throws up the problem of making it gas-tight. On a coachbuilt it could of gone in the side skirt but not on a PVC. Funnily enough, the only time we've been 'pranged' was on the side of a car!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I fitted my complete system in under an hour. I felt that the filler fitted in the skirt would be too low down for convenience.
I have no prob with cutting a hole; Gaslow can supply a plain blanking plate if you want to remove the system. Or you could just fit an additional grille (vent panel) over the hole and no one would know the difference.
2017-04-03 Gaslow installation Apl 3 2017 005.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Spriddler how have you attached the pipe at the rear of your door as Gaslow don't recommend doing this now although there is a specific way to do it safely that reduces the 'movement' on the pipe/joints which has been mentioned previously.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Outside always. Mine is in the locker, and now moving it to the skirt as I always have probs filling in UK and abroad no matter what bit of paper you wave at them saying its all legal and ok.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
@Minxy Girl I've done it the 'safe way' with a right-angle adapter, as instructed in the very comprehensive and easy to follow Gaslow illustrated installation instructions ;)
(I fiitted the system in April this year)

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Today I fitted my new Alugas refillable system. There have been lots of useful posts on this and other Funster threads. I went for the smaller Euro Filler as shown by Minxy Girl, so much smaller hole and mounting srews go into proper threaded nuts, not self tappers into plastic. Also thanks to Minxy Girl for the hose pipe idea, I had one point where I thought the filler pipe might chaff and this was a great solution.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well, I've just altered my set-up again! :D

We already had an old style 11kg Gaslow bottle (no 1) and I'd put in a new Gaslow 6kg R67 (no 2) bottle when we got the camper 2 years ago, but not long back I bought an almost new R67 11kg Gaslow (no 1) bottle from a funster local to me thinking I'd just replace the older 11kg one with this new one. Whilst I was mulling it over, however, I checked if I could change the R67 11kg bottle from a no 1 to a no 2 and by using an adaptor I can so I decided to keep the older 11kg bottle which is 'good' until 2023 before it need checking (the older ones have a 15 year 'life' rather than 10 years for the R67 ones), this means we'll 'gain' an extra 9.5 litres of gas capacity, making approx 42 litres in total. :dance2:

Anyway, I finally got round to 'squeezing' the new 11kg into the locker a couple of days ago (no lump hammers involved this time!:D2) ... actually the locker is probably big enough to take 3 x 11kg and 1 x 6kg if I wanted to be greedy! :LOL:

Now I've just got to order the adaptor and then get it all joined back up and tested. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back