LPG filler point (1 Viewer)

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Hi I'm going to do this to our PVC. I want to put it on the rear bumper but would prefer it on the side of the bumper because I have a cycle rack on the doors and might have to bend underneath it if its on the back. Does anyone know if the bumper is strong enough and if there is enough room to put the filler in this position. Also my locker is not that high around 620mm. i might just about be able to squeeze an 11kg bottle in. Do they come with angled valves on the top? There was talk of fitting a backplate for extra strength on this thread. Can you purchase this? Last question. Where is the best place to buy all this kit. Thanks in advance Steve

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
25534F68-6C65-4688-B58C-E02BE2CDB129.jpeg
@Tribbtravs here’s a picture of my filler and barbi point, so you should get your filler on the side the only thing that I suggest is to put a strengthener plate behind it.
John.

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Cheers. That looks a neat job. Did you use stainless steel pipe or the rubber. Some online retailers are selling the bottle with stainless and some with rubber so not sure what to go for yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Tribbtravs I used the stainless pipe and I slit a piece of hosepipe down it’s length and zip tied it over the stainless pipe to prevent chaffing.

John.

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Cheers Neckender. Is yours a Gasit system? I was looking at Gaslow but they don't seem to have the square filler. Do you know if the Gasit pipe and filler will fit a Gaslow cylinder

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
No it’s just an extra piece of kit you have to carry separately, the one that pappajohn shows you do not need an adapter, but it’s a bigger filler point and bigger hole to cut out.

John.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
But you still need the screw-in bayonet which is a pain and a potential leak point.

I’ve got the same type of filler as neckender and I don’t find it a problem and when abroad you have to screw an adapter in anyway

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why is it a pain. Does it turn when you are trying to take the filler gun off?
Just something else to store and fit unnecessarily.
Even if it's stored n the gas locker it's a door to open and then close which isn't needed with the type I posted ......and it looks neater.

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
OK cheers. I now have a good idea about what to get. Thinking of a Gaslow cylinder with hopefully 90 deg valve at the top. Gasit square filler 90 deg and Gasit back plate. Try and find stainless pipes around 1.3 M. Will probably fit at the back of bumper as it looks stronger and I'll just have to bend down when the bikes are on the back.
Thanks for all the advice

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The square black filler looks much neater and not so obvious IMHO. It is also smaller so will fit easier onto a bumper especially if the bumper is slightly curved. I fitted ours on the curved side skirt.

There is no problem with using the adaptor as I need one anyway much of the time because we fill up more in Europe than the UK. It goes into the same little pouch as the other 3 adapters came in from Gasit. Put them all in the driver's door pocket if you have a PVC.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Even if it's stored n the gas locker it's a door to open and then close which isn't needed with the type I posted ......and it looks neater.

Still need to open the locker to turn the gas off before filling so I don’t find it too much of a problem to get the appropriate adapter out at the same time.

When I first got my kit it came with the big UK filler but I didn’t like the size of hole needed. It also seemed to rely on a small notch and the clamping of the back assembly to stop it rotating when attaching and removing the filler gun. I exchanged it for the small one and was pleased to see that rotation was prevented by each of the 4 mounting screws having it’s own individually drilled hole. I thought it was a neater and more robust solution.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The problem with the larger filler point is the depth of the unit as it accommodates the UK bayonet within it ... I suspect therefore that it is highly unlikely that there would be sufficient space behind the bumper/plastic panels to be able to use this anyway so IMV the smaller square one is the only suitable one for this application.

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
square filler for tribby.JPG Italian filler tape measure.JPG Filler extension.JPG fillerer .JPG Fitted this yesterday and then thought Oh shit. Will the continental filler guns have enough room between the adapter and the lip of the bumper. Not sure of the sizes of guns on the continent. I think the french one will be OK but this one shown in photo has a screw thread on, I think its for Italy or maybe Spain. The space is around 2 cm. I could screw the adapter onto the Brit filler. I haven't fixed the pipes yet so could still move it and just get onother filler cap for £3. Any one know if it will not be a problem.
Cheers Steve

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
The internal diameter of the larger filler housing is 65mm and that is with the bayonet adaptor recessed within. I don't see that you'll have a problem as whatever adaptor you fit will project sufficiently to avoid any issues.

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Cheers. I will carry on securing the pipes.
Steve

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Also you can buy a longer version of the British type, so that would give more clearance.

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
gas test.JPG Rigged this up today to do a test for any leaks and also to see if I could use a spare bottle if I couldn't find any autogas stations. All seemed to work fine. Next step is to do a fill up for real. Actually, next step is do some weeding!!!!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I don’t think that will work @Tribbtravs . The outlet from the cylinder draws vaporised gas off from the top of the cylinder. LPG is filled in liquid form and pumped at a high enough pressure to open the filler valve and overcome the pressure in the cylinder to be filled. You will need a proper fill at the higher pressure before you can test the connections.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don’t think that will work @Tribbtravs . The outlet from the cylinder draws vaporised gas off from the top of the cylinder. LPG is filled in liquid form and pumped at a high enough pressure to open the filler valve and overcome the pressure in the cylinder to be filled. You will need a proper fill at the higher pressure before you can test the connections.
A common misconception. The pump merely shifts liquid. The vapour pressure in the bulk tank and that in the vehicle tank are equal so the pump doesn't have to overcome anything other than the very light spring pressure of a couple of none return valves.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
A common misconception. The pump merely shifts liquid. The vapour pressure in the bulk tank and that in the vehicle tank are equal so the pump doesn't have to overcome anything other than the very light spring pressure of a couple of none return valves.

I had a quick look into the possible delivery pressure of some lpg dispensers when we were discussing the need to close the outlets before filling to protect the regulator from excess pressure during the fill...
Something i usually forget in spite of advice thats its best practice to do so...
Information i managed to get from one dispenser manufacturer was that delivery pressure was commonly 100psi or 7 bar above vapour pressure...
Andy.

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
All the appliances worked with this plugged in so I know that from the gaslow bottle to the regulator there are no leaks.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Not sure what my “misconception” is. If the pumped liquid pressure did not exceed the gas pressure in the cylinder then nothing would flow in that direction, at least it didn’t when I last studied physics 50 years ago. Whenever I have filled up the process has been reasonably quick suggesting a significant pressure differential between pump and cylinder, very much in keeping with @andy63 ’s 100 psi above vapour pressure.

All the appliances worked with this plugged in so I know that from the gaslow bottle to the regulator there are no leaks.
Yes, now I think about it again I can see how the gas vapour from the cylinder would flow throughout your system and I am glad you have been able to check it out. Propane at 16*c is shown as having a 92 psi pressure so this is reasonable test. With @andy63 ’s explanation the pressure in the inlet pipe could be double this, when I first filled my system I did find I had to tighten one joint a bit more to get a good seal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back