Garmin 660 LMT Camper Sat Nav problems (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Since a big update last year been experiencing a lot of problems ie not showing position on road but running in fields parallel sometimes at distance, also spurious turn left or right instructions when no road exists. It also loses itself regularly, but on occasion it behaves perfectly. I have been in touch with Garmin Tech Help and carried out all their suggestion and as a last resort a master reset. No improvement and of course unit is now 2 years old and out of warranty. Anyone experienced anything similar or have any suggestions on how to fix the problem.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Stick with it and do another master reset. I have had to do this on my Garmin although agree too many mistakes being made for a product costing this amount. Make sure Garmin Express is up to date.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Latest version of Garmin Express downloaded two weeks ago, will try another master reset,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have a 560LMT and so far it has been pretty good. Obviously it goes through fields when the maps have not caught up with road changes but I have not noticed significant problems. Last week it did wander off the road briefly but I put that down to poor satellite reception - perhaps I was wrong.
I have just updated to the latest map set so will keep an eye on it when next we venture away.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
An update, I posted a query on a GPS forum and I received some very helpful suggestions, I was asked if I had changed the van after using it in our previous van an Autotrail, I did early last year current van a Hymer B588DL. Today I switched the sat nav to our car and covered 120 miles on motorways, dual carriageways and rural roads, one we travel regularly in the van and sat nav progress arrow always leaves the road. On todays test the sat nav behaved impeccably so something in the van is causing/interfering with its reception. Anyone experienced anything similar, base vehicle is a Fiat Euro 6. Satnav is mounted on a toughened glass plate secured by the dash top document holder with a gps speedo next to it, (it also struggles with reception on occasion) at top of windscreen is a Nextbase Dashcam.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
An update, I posted a query on a GPS forum and I received some very helpful suggestions, I was asked if I had changed the van after using it in our previous van an Autotrail, I did early last year current van a Hymer B588DL. Today I switched the sat nav to our car and covered 120 miles on motorways, dual carriageways and rural roads, one we travel regularly in the van and sat nav progress arrow always leaves the road. On todays test the sat nav behaved impeccably so something in the van is causing/interfering with its reception. Anyone experienced anything similar, base vehicle is a Fiat Euro 6. Satnav is mounted on a toughened glass plate secured by the dash top document holder with a gps speedo next to it, (it also struggles with reception on occasion) at top of windscreen is a Nextbase Dashcam.
Could it be the windscreen glass of your motorhome? Some glass is treated(?) eg tinted that may interfere with reception. Think some kit had issues when Ford first introduced heated front screens.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My first thought would be the GPS speedo if it's very close. Two radio receivers on the same frequency(ies) invariably interfere with each other if they're too close together.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
My first thought would be the GPS speedo if it's very close. Two radio receivers on the same frequency(ies) invariably interfere with each other if they're too close together.
Tony you were spot on, tried the Garmin in my car and it performed flawlessly on a 120 mile return journey on a variety of roads. So have moved the gps speedo 2 foot or more across dash to rh side of steering wheel and on a 50 mile drive to a rally today all has worked perfectly, many thanks for your wisdom.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Photo of sat nav and gps speedo current locations and second photo showing how it was.
C02676AB-5382-4EEF-BF57-5D838E538269.jpeg
CD816537-7482-4F60-BC79-39B003C3F1A6.jpeg

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Newish Fiat dash impossible to see in bright sunshine or dull lighting conditions I spend 6 months of year on continent, kms inner scale impossible to read with a quick downwards glance, France especially in towns they take no prisoners if your just a few kms above speed limit.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Tony you were spot on, tried the Garmin in my car and it performed flawlessly on a 120 mile return journey on a variety of roads. So have moved the gps speedo 2 foot or more across dash to rh side of steering wheel and on a 50 mile drive to a rally today all has worked perfectly, many thanks for your wisdom.
Excellent result :).

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Newish Fiat dash impossible to see in bright sunshine or dull lighting conditions I spend 6 months of year on continent, kms inner scale impossible to read with a quick downwards glance, France especially in towns they take no prisoners if your just a few kms above speed limit.
Great you've got solution but does the 660LMT not have a GPS speed display that can be changed between mph and kph? Might mean you could combine both?:unsure:

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Great you've got solution but does the 660LMT not have a GPS speed display that can be changed between mph and kph? Might mean you could combine both?:unsure:
Yes it does but font size means it needs a good stare at as does the Zenec built in unit whereas glowing green 25mm high digits can be seen at a glance. The Garmin is angled toward my wife for her benefit it’s especially useful on continent as it’s preloaded with ACSI sites and is a good backup/check for built in unit.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On my Hymer a class dash I originally mounted my Garmin on the clipboard but it vibrated so I now use a Garmin bean bag and sit the unit on the dash binnacle directly in front of steering wheel, re positioning may solve your problem.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
0932479D-6E55-4AEC-8D2C-355CEA91F1E5.jpeg
On my Hymer a class dash I originally mounted my Garmin on the clipboard but it vibrated so I now use a Garmin bean bag and sit the unit on the dash binnacle directly in front of steering wheel, re positioning may solve your problem.

Sorted now Larry the gps speedo was the culprit. Moho is also a Hymer a class, I had a toughened smoked glass shelf cut to fit my clipboard holder for the Garmin sat nav as in photo

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
View attachment 239237

Sorted now Larry the gps speedo was the culprit. Moho is also a Hymer a class, I had a toughened smoked glass shelf cut to fit my clipboard holder for the Garmin sat nav as in photo

I had thought of getting an OBD2 HUD as my fiat dash even after the mod was carried out is difficult to read in bright daylight , but st present the speed readout on the Garmin is ok.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
After some research I went for a more expensive gps speedo Larry, non hud, just has two switches, off and on, mph or kms, I like simple. Reasoning was it’s still cheaper than an on the spot fine by some plod in France. ;0)

Tauntongerd

Free Member
Sep 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Motorhome 7.5 m
Stick with it and do another master reset. I have had to do this on my Garmin although agree too many mistakes being made for a product costing this amount. Make sure Garmin Express is up to date.
Do not stick with it. Garmin is useless for road navigation. Mine is up to date, but it lead us through the thick of it here in France. A lot better route was possible (shown on a different sat nav for motorhomes I carry with me) but ignored by the Garmin device which was a lot more expensive. Never again Garmin. They don't get there act together since years now.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Do not stick with it. Garmin is useless for road navigation. Mine is up to date, but it lead us through the thick of it here in France. A lot better route was possible (shown on a different sat nav for motorhomes I carry with me) but ignored by the Garmin device which was a lot more expensive. Never again Garmin. They don't get there act together since years now.
You are right! Pretty useless unless you’ve a back up of another, google maps etc.

I think it will take a fair amount of folk to complain before they actually listen, no easy way that I know of to report errors either.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Old thread revival.. but..What a load of generic nonsense.. we have three Garmin units all work perfectly and have done for years.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Old thread revival.. but..What a load of generic nonsense.. we have three Garmin units all work perfectly and have done for years.
Just because you haven’t experienced yours playing up please don’t assume others including me are talking nonsense.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Just because you haven’t experienced yours playing up please don’t assume others including me are talking nonsense.
... but I will, thousands use Garmin products without issue, whilst it's possible some units may develope faults, to blithley proclaim "Garmin is useless for road navigation" is complete rubbish.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
LesW I will post as I find the Garmin, but won’t go so low as saying your talking rubbish. If you find it to be good then fine, please respect other views.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Our Camper 760LMT-D has just started "playing up" in that when connected to PC \ laptop using Garmin Express it doesn't show \ give the option to update maps or reinstall maps to PC \ laptop. The functionality is still there for an older nuvi 2460. The unit itself still operates as a sat nav just can't update via Express.

Now call me cynical but have Garmin not just "terminated" contracts for live digital traffic updates (as opposed to via a smartphone) with their suppliers? The Camper 760LMT-D has live digital traffic update functionality (it's what the "D" stands for) however the nuvi 2460 doesn't! The stock answer from Garmin Support is "unit no longer under technical support" so only option is buy a new one, we'll give you a 30% trade-in offer on the 760.

They still haven't responded to my repeated question of why does the 2460 still work with Garmin Express but the 760 doesn't?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Our Camper 760LMT-D has just started "playing up" in that when connected to PC \ laptop using Garmin Express it doesn't show \ give the option to update maps or reinstall maps to PC \ laptop. The functionality is still there for an older nuvi 2460. The unit itself still operates as a sat nav just can't update via Express.

Now call me cynical but have Garmin not just "terminated" contracts for live digital traffic updates (as opposed to via a smartphone) with their suppliers? The Camper 760LMT-D has live digital traffic update functionality (it's what the "D" stands for) however the nuvi 2460 doesn't! The stock answer from Garmin Support is "unit no longer under technical support" so only option is buy a new one, we'll give you a 30% trade-in offer on the 760.

They still haven't responded to my repeated question of why does the 2460 still work with Garmin Express but the 760 doesn't?
All about £££ I guess. When I first saw my friends Garmin 760 I thought it was wonderful, fell for the functions hook line and sinker. As you’ll know Grant the voice command in a Scottish accent is almost unusable , along with their crap mapping. MicknMew it’s all your fault I bought one of these 😂

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
All about £££ I guess. When I first saw my friends Garmin 760 I thought it was wonderful, fell for the functions hook line and sinker. As you’ll know Grant the voice command in a Scottish accent is almost unusable , along with their crap mapping. MicknMew it’s all your fault I bought one of these 😂
If truth be told Sandra we've never had any serious issues with our 760 up until this update one and, yip, I think Garmin have intentionally "fixed" Express so it removes the functionality! Guess it's at the server end as well so older versions of Express don't work either.
I really like pre-planning with BaseCamp and had been thinking of updating the 760 to a newer model but we'll see! Might just try downloading map updates to PC \ laptop with our 2460 and see if I can use Garmin MapInstall to load them onto the 760.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The issue that the OP had with his Garmin was caused by a GPS speedo mounted very close to it. Once the speedo was moved away his Garmin functioned perfectly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back