'Funny' icon... strange usage? (2 Viewers)

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
OH............ yes we have.... :crying1: :cry: :crying: :giggler:

MO - perhaps we should add these to the Fun shop ...

Mug.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Some people seem to have a funny attitude, but this is MotorhomeFun, so that's alright.
Me, I don't always say what I mean, or mean what I say. In fact, I sometimes read my post and think "what a prat". This could be one of them.

Keep on funning! (or fuming, if that's what floats your motorhome).

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Crumbs. I'm another one.

Maybe it's something to do with the heavy steering wheel that gives so many of us fat fingers?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If we all thought that the same things are funny,or not funny,it would be very funny world.
:LOL::LOL: or :rolleyes::rolleyes: or:oops::oops:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have to admit i have a very wide and open taste in what i find funny and it doesn't always match other people's...but in my opinion that's ok we are all wired differently.

I very rarely will set out to intentionally offend someone unless it's in retaliation to someone seeking to offend me ( I'm childish that way )

Now accidentally offending people I seem to do quite regularly and if it's brought to my attention and it's something I can change then I will .

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I sometimes use funny on a post that is very certainly not funny to see if the op has a sense of humour :sneaky::D

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I know about the emoticon/emoji - I was thinking more of the options bottom right. They're all so.... positive :(
There is an old saying........
If you haven’t got something good to say about someone....keep quiet.

Perhaps that’s why they are all positive.
Personally,Im very good at criticising just about everybody and everything,so could easily add a few negatives,but it would only upset folk,so no point really,methinks

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Judging by the amount of 'hilarity' my initial post generated do I take it that my post was met with derision?

Perhaps an icon to indicate dislike would be useful - to say it like it is might be a good thing.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
to say it like it is might be a good thing.
And there is the problem ......... IMHO there is no such thing as "saying it like it is"; it is only ever "saying it like you think it is" no matter who you are, and I include myself in that comment.

@Jim has explained why he does not have an "dislike" icon, because it just starts arguments and encourages the keyboard warrior in us all. And I agree entirely with that view, and I think that this makes MHF a more enjoyable forum to follow.

One of the best bits of advice I heard came long before the internet was invented. It goes something like this. Before you express an opinion ask yourself 3 questions. Is it necessary? Is it kind? Is it true? If the answer to at least two of them is "yes", say it. Otherwise don't. Mind you I often do not follow it :doh:

But that is just my opinion, and I am not saying that that is like it is. :D

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Judging by the amount of 'hilarity' my initial post generated do I take it that my post was met with derision?

Perhaps an icon to indicate dislike would be useful - to say it like it is might be a good thing.
No,I don’t think your post was met with derision.
One of the issues with adding icons is that they could be added for lots of different responses,and you end up with another half a dozen......then maybe even more people pressing the wrong one!
They also have limited usefulness in giving a meaningful response,and can be interpreted in differing ways.
Maybe if folk want to “say it as it like it is” they should respond with a full reply on the thread,i.e written.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A few times I've noticed that people respond to posts with the 'funny' icon when the post is absolutely not funny. Anyone know why is this?
For all the reasons already stated as well as it is someone's opinion ... it may be a small thing said in a post that is funny ... many serious posting on here ends with a line or two about a daft thing, or comments from OP, and that may illicit the funny.

If I find something funny be it haha, peculiar, unbelievable etc than I may use the funny ...

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I also don't see the need for a "dislike" as if the post doesn't accord with a positive then it is shown to be so by virtue of little or no positive response , "sort of damning by faint praise"
example was JRM when asked opinion on Hammond staying in his job :LOL:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have done this a couple of times in error and felt awful but been notified by other vigilant Funsters , for which I’m thankful .
Maybe fat finger syndrome or scrolling on my I pad.

Me too ...... I have managed to hit the funny rather than the thanks..... sometimes none on the buttons express what you feel.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I get that the buttons can be hit by mistake... have done so myself but usually correct it.

Obviously my post isn't funny - I'm asking a genuine question yet 14 people have found it funny.... why?

If they don't find it funny what do they mean? I can only assume its meant to be sarcastic but even that doesn't quite fit as I don't think my post was controversial in any way.

I'm genuinely puzzled.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As the vast majority of posts on this forum are funny or have lots of fun in them, if you re-read your OP in a different way it could come across as being a funny question ... it's all about how it's interpreted especially with no icon to relay the true meaning ... if you had for example put this icon o_O it may have shown you were asking a serious question.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I must be experiencing a sense of humour failure but I don't see how my question could have been seen as funny no matter how its read. Surely I don't need to add an icon to everything I write for it to be understood?

I wouldn't use the 'Er... what' icon you suggest as, to me, it seems challenging when all I wanted was to understand the usage of the icon not to upset folk.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I get that the buttons can be hit by mistake... have done so myself but usually correct it.

Obviously my post isn't funny - I'm asking a genuine question yet 14 people have found it funny.... why?

If they don't find it funny what do they mean? I can only assume its meant to be sarcastic but even that doesn't quite fit as I don't think my post was controversial in any way.

I'm genuinely puzzled.
I can't mind read those 14 people, and I was not one of them, but I do think you may well be reading more into it than you need to. Sometimes I find it dangerous to read things into what is posted on this forum, especially when you cannot see the poster's expression and body language when they are posting, unlike in a face to face conversation.

I do not think they were being sarcastic or demeaning, and I say that as I know several of those that did award it a funny. I must admit when I read it I had for a fleeting moment the thought that I should award it a funny, but I decided not to. That is because I thought it may be funny to award a funny icon to a question that queried the use of the funny icon. In my mind the humour would have been in the award rather than any disparaging thoughts about the post or the poster.

Of course the moment you have to explain a joke to a lot of people it ceases being a joke. :D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I must be experiencing a sense of humour failure but I don't see how my question could have been seen as funny no matter how its read. Surely I don't need to add an icon to everything I write for it to be understood?

I wouldn't use the 'Er... what' icon you suggest as, to me, it seems challenging when all I wanted was to understand the usage of the icon not to upset folk.
I think you are 'over-reading' the replies etc from members of the forum ... I look at the icon image for what it means to me, not what it is necessarily 'tagged as' when you hover over it ... o_O has a quizzical look to it and that's what I often use it for .... perhaps we need a 'serious question' face one???

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Mr Southdowners,I think you are thinking too much! Humour is such a weird thing when you analyse it. People have told me I am a funny person (perhaps they meant funny peculiar!), but I couldn’t tell a joke properly even if if my life depended on it! Which fortunately it doesn’t.:D

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, I take on board that I'm probably taking things far too seriously.

I wrote in response to seeing the 'funny' on a new member's post about their new motorhome. I felt it less than welcoming to have someone laugh at their first post. In fact the person who posted the funny said he did so because that he finds large motorhomes 'hilarious'. Frankly I find this very strange behaviour.

I can't help wondering if someone with, shall we say, a vehicle a bit challenged in the size department had posted and got the same response it would have been seen as snobbishness on the part of the 'funny' poster?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Mr Southdowners,I think you are thinking too much! Humour is such a weird thing when you analyse it. People have told me I am a funny person (perhaps they meant funny peculiar!), but I couldn’t tell a joke properly even if if my life depended on it! Which fortunately it doesn’t.:D

Thanks... yes I do tend to overthink things and can be quite sensitive (it may be because I'm a woman!) but I do have a sense of humour... honest! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks... yes I do tend to overthink things and can be quite sensitive (it may be because I'm a woman!) but I do have a sense of humour... honest! :D
Judging by the way that some of the men on here are very 'sensitive' to some things and end up having barnies I think that men are probably much more sensitive little souls than us ladies! :D Or we just have more sense .... :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back