From Spain to Norway - the long way round (1 Viewer)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
All those donkey rides ice creams fish and chips and candy floss!
Relax and enjoy today!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Had a lovely walk from the site at Bothamsall utilising part of the Robin Hood Way. It's still very windy here but no rain.

The first part of the walk crossed the Rivers Meden and Maun and then took us past an unusual building at Haughton Hall Farm. It now houses a grain drying machine but no-one seems to know the original use.

IMG_3143.JPG

From here we crossed fields of barley and, I think, young maize plants to arrive at the village of Walesby. On one of the tracks we saw what we are sure are badger prints.

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3147.JPG

Walesby Church

Again on the Robin Hood Way we stopped to look at Robin Hood's Cave but unless you brave nettles and wade the river you can't see into it! We weren't too bothered!

IMG_3181.PNG

We eventually returned to the River Meden and walked alongside it for a short way and where we were lucky to see a Kingfisher!

IMG_3182.PNG

IMG_3183.PNG

Zoomed in to spot the Kingfisher!

Leaving the river to head back to Bothamsall we encountered a dust storm!!! After all the rain the fields of newly planted crops were drying out rapidly!

IMG_3165.JPG

With gritty eyes we stopped to look at the river again and a view up to the motte of the old Bothamsall Castle.

IMG_3174.JPG

River Meden from the bridge at Bothamsall

IMG_3171.JPG

The motte

Now back at the van relaxing.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Nice pictures as aĺlways, thankyou

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Here you are @Hagstrom

We went to Grinton in the Yorkshire Dales and did a walk around the "White House".

From our parking area next to Grinton Bridge, the white speck in the centre of the hillside is the first destination.

IMG_3232.JPG

Not a bad view! Pretty remote in winter tho'.
FullSizeRender.jpg

We walked up to the ridge and battled a strong wind to walk along the edge.

Locals!
IMG_3223.JPG

We dropped down into the valley passing through the small hamlet of Arkletown with a graveyard but no church. Apparently this hamlet used to be the largest in the area and had a church but it was demolished and moved to Langthwaite. It was all centred around mining.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3228.JPG

Not content with the uphill we'd already done we climbed up and over another fell.

The White House is a speck in this photo again!
FullSizeRender.jpg

Reeth seen from our descent.
FullSizeRender.jpg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Had a stroll around Reeth. There is a small garden behind the information building, which at this time of year is coming into its best!

IMG_3212.JPG
IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3210.JPG
IMG_3207.JPG

Back to our small but very select group at the holiday meet run by the very friendly Teeside DA of the C&CC. They did a very nice lemon cake!

IMG_3215.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're now in our last few days of the UK part of the trip. Off through Holland on Tuesday, through Germany to Poland for our Tatras Mountain trek starting next weekend. Will post when able but the internet can't be worse than in some of the places we've been here.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Hi both Internet is very flaky so have a great t

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Can I come please, I promise to behave, don't worry I will drive the van, pay for the diesel, maintain everything including yourself, make sure you have internet, a good supply of wine, not a supply of good wine may I add. :sick: please please, you won't even notice I am there.....

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Very much enjoying your travels.

Can't wait until you finally make it to Norway. Don't forget to pack plenty of drinkies into the van beforehnd, if not, pack plenty of money instead.

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
That's better. Just as long as you are behaving yourselves, mind.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Can I come please, I promise to behave, don't worry I will drive the van, pay for the diesel, maintain everything including yourself, make sure you have internet, a good supply of wine, not a supply of good wine may I add. :sick: please please, you won't even notice I am there.....
She hasn't done you away with dodgy mushrooms as you are too useful!!!:LOL:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We're now in our last few days of the UK part of the trip. Off through Holland on Tuesday, through Germany to Poland for our Tatras Mountain trek starting next weekend. Will post when able but the internet can't be worse than in some of the places we've been here.
Sorry you by past Sheffield!!( who wouldn't want to!!) safe travels and enjoy Norway!!

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
ime???

Thanks Phil, hope we do. Have a great summer yourself.

We'll a!ways find a place for you in Totana if you ever venture that way. BUT ... make sure we're around. Would hate to miss you.

Told you it was fl

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

We were 4 days in the Western part of the Slowakian part of the Tatras this last week - it's a regular jaunt for us from S. Poland. We were in Orovice(Thermal baths outdoor for Basia's 96 year-old Mother - cant't get her out of them) and then in Sverovka, beautiful parking spot aove a meadow with mountains across and a great centre for walkers, plus a good Chata(Inn) with good food outside or inside with window view. Unfortunately they were closed that evening this year for some maintenance, but we walked down to another one near the ski-lift CP which was equally as good, with a stunningly attractive waitress - personality, looks and figure. I digress.

We have never had internet signal problem in that area and we use on-line satnav(not download) and it has never dropped out, which is the info you probably needed.

Anything els just ask, but I will be off-net 20th-27th, in Greece.

Geoff

Last edited:
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Backtracking a little. From Grinton we went south to Carsington for better weather that we didn't really find. But we still went out for a walk, terminating in lunch at a local pub.

Can you see where the stile is? We spoke to the farmer after we'd crossed his fields. His brother painted the sign but still people miss the way through and end up walking through the farm buildings!!!

IMG_3258.PNG

From Carsington we ended up travelling into Nottingham to get an emergency repair done to my bike. Nightmare for Martin negotiating the city centre with my bike whilst I spent the time in the motorhome on the Racecourse Park and Ride parking. Thanks again Martin.

Leaving at 5 pm we bypassed the city centre and found a small site between Nottingham and Ollerton. Another little gem of a site from where we could do a ride into Sherwood Pines and back. We'd already arranged to meet friends to ride the mountain bike trail the next day so we just rode the family tracks.

IMG_3263.jpg

Lurches Farm Cottage C&CC 5 van site. Other space is available!!!

Toilets and washing up area and showers 20p for 2 minutes.

Left here to meet friends to ride the Red route in Sherwood Pines. We'd promised tea/coffee and cakes at the end of the ride. We normally park at the Dog and Duck pub where you can stay overnight or rather you could, the place is closed and the parking blocked off. We were there early (as always) so quickly arranged an alternative meeting point at Vicar Water.

IMG_3270.JPG

Refreshment time!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

?

This should have had a quote attached ... But ... Never mind I've now seem the post from @nicholsong . It hadn't dropped in before. Thanks.

We're using Three payg chips and have been reasonable to good so far through Spain and France but poor in parts of the UK. We've now also got Vodaphone so between the two should get coverage.

Last edited:
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
If you make that the River Elbe, then I'm with you, otherwise you've lost me. Is it hot over there?

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you make that the River Elbe, then I'm with you, otherwise you've lost me. Is it hot over there?

River Elbe it is, predictive text!!! At Magdeburg.

Yes it's hot. Spent all afternoon sitting in the shade.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
make up your mind you two ,who's were?

Well Phil, we are in Germany on the edge of the Elbe where it meets the sea. I have no idea where Judith is, and she seems a bit uncertain, which is surprising given she is Queen of Orienteering.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back