From Spain to Norway - the long way round (3 Viewers)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Well Phil, we are in Germany on the edge of the Elbe where it meets the sea. I have no idea where Judith is, and she seems a bit uncertain, which is surprising given she is Queen of Orienteering.:)

have you looked next van but one, Im told shes good at disguise too

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
so not in the same place at all then, but by the same bit of water

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Now on a private Stelplatz just before the Polish border. Too hot to ride so having lunch in the shade. Would you believe Cornish pasties!!! Need to use them.

IMG_20170622_135231.jpg

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Shame you moved on. You could have put a message in a bottle for the JenBens......

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Martin,

Has your Oyster found difficulty locating Astra 2 (because one of the Astra 2 locating transponder frequencies is reported as having recently gone dead?)

Lester's Dad

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Martin,

Has your Oyster found difficulty locating Astra 2 (because one of the Astra 2 locating transponder frequencies is reported as having recently gone dead?)

Lester's Dad
Funny you should post about Astra 2...last night I decided to do a FACTORY RESET
WHY YOU MIGHT ASK...well as I am going into unknown Astra 2 Zone..I needed to know whats out there...ANSWER..NOWT.
The reason being this....my Oyster 2 Vision..lost its Astra 1 position a while back...well my Strong supa dupa receiver needs Astra 1 as its defult Sat...it will not download Astra 2 until Astra 1 has had its download...are you following?...So my problem is this....re-program Oyster 2 so it can find Astra 1.then....etc etc...I have sent an email to Oyster Support.....please talk me through re-setting Oyster control box....or another ootion is to find a kind person who would allow me to plug my Sat box into their dish...pointed at Astra 1....simple I know but we are on the German/Polish border just now...

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I imagine they have no bottles spare this early in their trip .

Bottles? They're too heavy. Even my gin has been decanted into a plastic bottle! We have two Totana wine boxes, sealed until they reach Norway. Will look to see what's available in Poland tomorrow.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Arrived in Poland! Feel a bit adrift as don't know any of the language. Will have to learn some basics at least.

Our first 80km of Polish road was HELL. 80km of rumble strips! Not returning the same way for sure.

IMG_3326.PNG

Now parked on a motorhome parking area between Wroklaw and Krakow.

IMG_3335.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We're at the River Elbe !

View attachment 170043
That's a very small bit of the Elbe if it meets the sea there. The Elbe I know runs through Hamburg and shortly afterwards is at least a kilometre wide then just gets wider and wider. At Cuxhaven where the estuary ends it is about ten kilometres wide. I've sailed up it on a ferry from the UK a few times. I guess you must be looking at a creek somewhere along the bank. :)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
They look like a few rumble strips too many. (Can't help with the language, the only Polish I know is Autoglym.)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
They look like a few rumble strips too many. (Can't help with the language, the only Polish I know is Autoglym.)

Just tried with Google translate and even listening to Hello and trying to say it is proving beyond us! Really wanted to remember thank you but forgotten it already :(.

Dziękuję Ci - simple i'nt it

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Or you could just say, jen key, for thank you. Or, jen koo yah bar doh, for thanks very much.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
That's a very small bit of the Elbe if it meets the sea there. The Elbe I know runs through Hamburg and shortly afterwards is at least a kilometre wide then just gets wider and wider. At Cuxhaven where the estuary ends it is about ten kilometres wide. I've sailed up it on a ferry from the UK a few times. I guess you must be looking at a creek somewhere along the bank. :)

Yes you are right it was, we went across the Elbe on a ferry the next day. If Judith had sent me a message in the bottle I could have fished it out.

Really wanted to remember thank you but forgotten it already :(.

We are still using 'takk' which is about 3 countries ago :)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today we're heading to Krakow to sort out our Motorhome parking and have a browse around. Tomorrow afternoon we meet our group to start the organised part of our trip.

Yesterday evening we had a stroll around Gora Swietej Anna

The Lourdes Grotto
IMG_3345.JPG

And

Anna Church
IMG_3340.JPG

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I would not worry to much about speaking polish, most i woukd imagain have a grasp of english , the road looked empty was there any traffic or just you

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Half way to Poland on the banks of the river Alba somewhere west of Berlin.

View attachment 169941

Nannying the fridge with the canopy. We're under a tree!

We're at the River Elbe !

View attachment 170043

Not our River Elbe ?

Well, we're in Germany, does that help ?

Well Phil, we are in Germany on the edge of the Elbe where it meets the sea. I have no idea where Judith is, and she seems a bit uncertain, which is surprising given she is Queen of Orienteering.:)

We were on the Elbe where it doesn't meet the sea! West of Berlin.

We were on the Elbe then. (y)#notwantingtofeelleftout.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yes you are right it was, we went across the Elbe on a ferry the next day.:)

Wischafen to Gluckstadt I imagine which we have used to avoid Hamburg en route to Hirtshals, this year we tried the Cuxhaven to Brunsbuttel link which re-opened in May after a new operator took it on.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
First impressions of Poland are that its incredibly clean and tidy. Verges are cut alongside the motorways and there are no cans or bottles or other rubbish to be seen. Public transport arrives on time and on this bus to Zakopane we have free wifi.

Krakow is a lovely city with a green area circling it, a huge central square and some stunning buildings.

IMG_3372.JPG
IMG_3375.JPG
IMG_3388.PNG
IMG_3395.JPG
IMG_3400.JPG

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Wischafen to Gluckstadt I imagine which we have used to avoid Hamburg en route to Hirtshals, this year we tried the Cuxhaven to Brunsbuttel link which re-opened in May after a new operator took it on.

Yes that's the one, it was a quick crossing, it was nice weather when we parked to get on but the weather turned very stormy. We felt a bit sorry for the motorbikers, they spent most of the crossing wrangling themselves into their wet weather gear.
IMG_20170622_105840.jpg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Have met our group and Guide. All seem nice people with a very varied age range ( by sight only atm, not spoken to all of them yet). Had our first dinner out last night but we're split onto two tables. Sat with a father/daughter combination who were interesting. Dad has a camper van!

First walk today which is an easy one so will hopefully get chance to speak with the rest.

The Guide told us there are brown bears in the mountains so we're now hopeful of a sighting :LOL:.

Last nights restaurant
IMG_3406.JPG

The entrance
IMG_3407.JPG

Interior
IMG_3405.JPG

I'm loving this trek already!!!

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
wow thats something out of a picture book, have Fun....

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Nice pics, but whats behhind the bars

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
As a change to accommodation instead of a mountain hut we have had to suffer a guest house in a small ski resort. We have our own sauna and salt room. The salt room is a small room with reclining chairs and ... salt! What's the benefits of this, anyone?

IMG_3463.JPG

Salty panel in the room.

The new accommodation.

IMG_3450.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG

We're back here for another night tonight which is a good thing for us cos it means we can do today's long walk (7 hours - ouch feet!) with light day packs.

Our guide is very knowledgeable about lots of things, not only the nature we're walking in but the history of the area. We've had some interesting insights into what happened here during the two World Wars.

Local wooden church

IMG_3462.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back