From Spain to Norway - the long way round (3 Viewers)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Lovely pictures, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
After seeing JuMar on the via ferrata, I had to go and have lie down. They aren't going to survive very long doing stuff like that. What's wrong with a good book?

We saw the one at
http://www.caminitodelrey.info/en/#6
before it was'done up' scary enough from the comfort of our hire car.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We left early 8.45 to do the walk/via ferrata as the weather was good. We spoke to the Dutch women and all was good with them and their fridge!

We walked up the hill being shadowed by the Griffon vultures perhaps hoping for a fresh meal!

IMG_2832.PNG
IMG_2833.PNG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The descent was interesting cos after the recent rain the normally dusty gullies were slippery, slidey, chutes! Luckily there were many tree branches to hold onto and arrest our sliding descents.

Two Griffon Vultures couldn't be arsed to fly off.
IMG_2837.PNG

But the highlight was this Egyptian Vulture, not such a commoner!
IMG_2836.PNG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We were back at the van at 12 midday so decided to have a quick cuppa and a banana butty and to drive through the Somport Tunnel to France and have a week driving slowly to the ferry at Dieppe.

We're now at an aire at Vic en Bigorre where we've eaten and drunk our fill. Tomorrow we'll keep heading north. Any recommendations?

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're now at one of our favourite aires in this part of France - Fleurance. We've been for a bike ride and done some washing and about to chill out with a GnT when the wind chose that exact time to play hell with everyone's canopies!

Discarding cooking Duck for dinner, once we'd eaten it all went dead calm again! Sod's law comes to mind! We ate early cos it was lunch and dinner in one!

I picked some herbs from the "help yourself" garden here. Chives I knew but a vinegary leaf stumped me but Andrea (@big map) came to the rescue with the correct identification of sorrel.

IMG_2843.JPG
IMG_2846.JPG
IMG_2854.JPG

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Jumartoo

Very good posts and pics.

Ah, France - MHomers paradise:D

We have a plan for a trip the 'Long way - Poland to Spain via Norway' but that would be across to Norway then ferry from S. of Norway to Immingham(only way now Bergen-Newcastle has stopped) then across N.of England, NI, Eire and to Britanny and down through France.

Unfortunately this trip has to await till we can forsee 6 months free of commitments.

Anyone done similar?

Geoff

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We left Fleurance for Lectoure (why do I always think of Silence of the Lambs when we're here?! ) Martin had downloaded a mountain bike route that started at the aire there. This aire is our second favourite in the area. We were here last year so no piccies this time.

BUT

Both these sites are more like campsites than aires, on grass and no marked pitches. Would recommend them both.

We got the bikes out and rode 10 metres to the start point only to find that the chosen route was graded BLACK, the hardest grade here. A quick conversation and we chose a red route instead. Unfortunately this wasn't downloaded and so we were relying on the route marks. We lost these within five minutes but found a blue route (one grade down again). We followed this route and we were so glad we did because the grass was so long even cycling on the flat was a chore.

Nevertheless we finished it, pushing up hill on a few occasions!

IMG_2880.PNG

Just after the start and time for a discussion!

IMG_2879.PNG

Abandoned!!!

IMG_2877.PNG

Meeeee!!!

IMG_2871.JPG

The lake seen from near the end. Phew!!!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Due to our route change we were back at the aire at mid day so again decided to drive on for a while. We pulled in at thx aire at Cancon but decided not to stay instead head for an aire at a vineyard at Mombazallac. On the way we came across this church at Ribagnac with great parking. We pulled in here for the night. Can only imagine what the other motorhomers said when we arrived!!!

IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need to amend the title of this thread from "long way round" to "long and slow way round". :) But I like the approach, we're crossing France slowly at the moment, today's hop might be as much as 50kms. :)
Looking forward to more instalments, especially when you get to the far north.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Will look forward to your posts as we are planning on heading up to the Arctic Circle next summer from our home in the Languedoc, France. So your experiences will certainly help with our planning.
Thanks for sharing and safe travels.
Steve

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You need to amend the title of this thread from "long way round" to "long and slow way round". :) But I like the approach, we're crossing France slowly at the moment, today's hop might be as much as 50kms. :)
Looking forward to more instalments, especially when you get to the far north.

The instalments may slow down whilst we're in the UK but I'll pick them up again for Poland and certainly for Scandiland!

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today we've driven just about 400km and we're now at an aire at Montreal-Bellay. It's a day off from activities so we've just had a stroll around the town to take a look at the Chateau. Apparently you have to take a free guided tour around it and take the wine tasting but no-one arrived to guide us so we had a stroll around the ramparts and headed back for our own wine and a late lunch.

The aire. Just a large parking but does have emptying facilities.
IMG_2887.JPG

Leaving the aire through a garden with a good view of the Chateau.
IMG_2888.JPG

Steps!!!
IMG_2891.JPG

There's a poets house here but I haven't done a DBK to research who and when.
IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

The door to the poets house!

IMG_2908.JPG

The Chateau entrance where we hung around for a minute or so hoping for a tour!
IMG_2898.JPG

We returned thirstily to the aire. Just across from here are the ruins of a priory and a church so took a quick look.

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2912.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We drove around Le Mans to an area we went to many years ago. St Leonard des Bois. We did a lovely mountain bike route here, as recommended by the French women's champion from some years back who we just so happened to bump into when asking for info. We did the route with no problems until the last 1km when I, yes I not Martin this time, caught my little finger on my left hand on a tree and dislocated it!!! A quick escape to a hospital in Le Mans put it back in place.

Anyway, this time we're heading north. Set off for the same ride, we thought!!! But we think the route has been rerouted! Martin fell off within the first three minutes of riding trying to go up a very steep, rocky, track. Not looking good! We continued up and down and up (pushing) and down (me walking).

We arrived at a lovely village St Ceneri le Gerei where I took some piccies. On the way here we saw a FUNster moho and I think there here with us now. But I digress. After taking the photos we followed the marked route to a CLOSED FOLLOW DIVERSION sign. We continued!!! To be stopped by a very nice, apologetic Frenchman who said we couldn't continue. All Martin's persuasive talents ( came into force later) couldn't sway him to let us through ( a tree was being felled) and even though Martin said we had hard hats he still said no!!! so we had to road ride it back to our parking place.

We left the parking and headed back to the village where we sussed out the aire. Not for us tonight. OK for an overnighter when all you're going to do is eat and sleep! It was too early for that so we checked onto the municipal campsite where Martin negotiated a deal because we didn't want the included electricity. Sooo we ended up paying for a pitch and one person to fool the computer.

Tomorrow is going to rain or so say the forecasters!

IMG_2929.JPG

St Ceneri le Gerei before the closed road.

Sorry no more piccies cos internet tooooooo slow!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds like you are enjoying your trip and the weather looks good!

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Morning Judith. So who was in the FUNster Motorhome?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I just pop in to say Morning Judith so I will get notifactions of the thread, I rushed through the photos and they look like there going to scare me half to death. Stay safe and make sure Martin does to after all he has history(y);):LOL:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
just read through, and your trip looks amazing, real mr & mrs hero stuff, something out of boy (girls) own,

Qestion the pick on the wire ropes, what were you holding on with if you had a camara in your hands, or have you got a head cam fitted?

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
just read through, and your trip looks amazing, real mr & mrs hero stuff, something out of boy (girls) own,

Qestion the pick on the wire ropes, what were you holding on with if you had a camara in your hands, or have you got a head cam fitted?

You're always clipped in with your harness but there are parts where it's safe enough to take out the phone to take piccies. The danger is dropping the phone not us dropping!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today's weather forecast - wind and rain! Woke to a bright morning so decided to get a quick walk in before the rain started.

We did a two circuit route which was especially about the history and geology of the area and had informative boards at relevant parts.

First tho we had to say hello to this friendly chap. We could hear his voice all the way round!!!
IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

Two of the boards with examples of the corresponding rock. Unfortunately the rest were missing including the intriguing one with fossilised worm holes! I'd have liked to see that.

View of the village from the route.
IMG_2960.PNG

And one of the village and campsite which is hidden in the trees.
IMG_2961.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_2961.PNG
    IMG_2961.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 5

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries