Fridge works on gas but not very well

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Ridgeway, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Ratings:
    +978
    Been a bit of a head scratcher this one over the last few weeks.....

About 6wks back the fridge seemed to fail on gas when we were away, no big deal as we were almost on our way back. Following week i brought the van to the house and switched the fridge on and left it overnight. Next morning the fridge was cold, hey presto it was fixed(n) or was it...

Next trip, fridge seemed to work but not well. Tried again at home got even more confused, since decided to add a permanent fridge thermometer (not arrived yet) and this in the midst of the heatwave i started to think it was simply the fridges inability to cool given the +35º outside.

Ok have been in wonderfully warm Blighty for the last 12 days and it can't cope with that either... tested it on leccy and it's fine and gets super cold as usual but on gas it fires up like normal and burns gas as usual but it just doesn't seem to get that cold, the butter test says that at least...

Having ready many threads on here i wonder where i should start in my fault finding ?

It's a dometic fridge/freezer with auto switching, the classic type in many campers today. It's 5yrs old although has never been serviced ???

Any ideas ?

2. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,656
    No expert but the fact that it works fine on electric but not on gas suggests that it could probably do with servicing. As a minimum the flue would probably benefit from brushing through and maybe the jet. BUT DON'T STICK ANYTHING INTO THE JET as you will damage it, just a brush and/or blow through with an airline.

Other thoughts; you have plenty of gas and all other gas appliances working correctly (so regulator is okay)? Are the external vents clear - no covers fitted for example - so that there is a good airflow?

Ours always cools better on gas than electric.

3. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Ratings:
    +978
    Thanks Terry, yes plenty of gas (new bottles) and hob is running perfectly as normal, also no covers etc on the vents. Yes our fridge always seemed to run colder on gas vs electricity and it ran well on both.

4. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Ratings:
    +7,334
    Yes as TerryL mentioned above, clean the flue.

5. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Ratings:
    +978
    Any tips on how ?

Brush an vac job like my wood burner or something more delicate ?

6. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Ratings:
    +978
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  7. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Ratings:
    +24,182
    On a recent site in Italy we found we needed the shade of the awning to keep the fridge cool. It worked much better on gas with the awning out shading the vents.

8. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Ratings:
    +978
    Think I’ll be cleaning the flue tomorrow...

9. Podney

Podney Funster

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Clean the flue/burner. Maybe a new jet?

10. TerryL

Ratings:
    +3,656
    Good idea - I often wind the awning out a little to shade the fridge/vents.

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Ratings:
    +978
    OK cleaned the flue as best i could yesterday (still on the road) but managed to get a radiator brush from a hardware store that did a pretty good job although i could only access the flue from the bottom as the top has a 90º T on it which can only be removed if you take the fridge out ! Anyway tons of soot came out and the fridge is running a lot better, after 24hrs the temp is now a measured 3.1º vs the 12-13º it was before the flue cleaning.....

also glad i have the thermometer in there, just quick glance tells you if things are OK or not, no more butter test !

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  12. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Ratings:
    +7,334
    The T on the top is usually held in place by a small screw and at some stage you will need to take it off to access the baffle inside which will be hanging on a wire bridge at the top of the tube. Both this and the tube will need a good clean.

13. TerryL

Ratings:
    +3,656
    There you go then, sorted but keep an eye on it for a few days in case it's the change of weather that makes it better. When you get the chance do as Phil says.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,481
    The newer ones don't all have that T piece and baffle, which would make it much easier to clean.

Martin

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Ratings:
    +2,109
    Hi if you trace the pipe from the flame back to where it goes into a valve (not sure what they call it ) Give the valve a tap with a spanner as the valve inside can stick if not used for a while ,that may give your he presto moment .keeping your flue clean is also important lol.

16. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Ratings:
    +978
    Yes will do that, just got back last night so it's a job for this WE. I reckon if i take the fridge out and then remove the screw i could leave it without the screw when i replace it as i'm pretty sure the T piece is going to be a tight friction fit. That would allow me to clean the flue fully in the future without having to remove the fridge.

17. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +6,705
    Ors (Thetfoed) was the same I swapped the burner for a new one seems to have sorted it. Didn't clean the flue as it looks like it will need to be a fridge out job anyone know any different. Its a lot better now but still not like it was before.

18. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Ratings:
    +7,334
    Correct! That's what I have done.

19. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Ratings:
    +978
    Anyone know if the burner jet is easy to source, what price and easy enough to change ?

Think I might just get a spare to keep in, just in case...

20. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Ratings:
    +978
    This is a US RV video but the burner looks to be identical to the one on my Euro Ice cream van fridge/freezer