French Police (1 Viewer)

B

Brianl_irl

Deleted User
Whilst driving through France last year (in a car) I came across a police check point that was only pulling over campers and motorhomes.

Does anyone know why?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have seen the French police at the Spanish border one time pulling in lots of caravans, they were weighing them. Doing a thorough job too, it looked like they were weighing the nose weights as they were un hitching them.

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I have seen the French police at the Spanish border one time pulling in lots of caravans, they were weighing them. Doing a thorough job too, it looked like they were weighing the nose weights as they were un hitching them.

Visions of the missus and kids hanging off the back of the caravan.:winky:

What are those Tuggers like?:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hoy i used to be one:roflmto:

Many happy years as one as well but vans dent to easily and with 2 Great Danes and balsa wood furniture life expectancy of a van was very limited (plus of course a 19 stoner siting gently down after one beer to many:RollEyes:)

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hoy i used to be one:roflmto:

Many happy years as one as well but vans dent to easily and with 2 Great Danes and balsa wood furniture life expectancy of a van was very limited (plus of course a 19 stoner siting gently down after one beer to many:RollEyes:)

Yeah But you had the sense to convert to an RV John.

Bet they'd have had a job testing the nose weight on Your van when you had it?

What with those dogs.:roflmto:

Only ONE beer too many John.:winky:

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Link Removed

My last rig.

28 stone of dogs:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Upvote 0

2escapees

Deleted User
I assume by French Police you mean the Gendarmes. What they call random checks are regular here; at least twice a year we will be stopped for paperwork check and breathalyser you must carry your insurance, log book (carte gris) and driving license (there is not an option to produce them later). Breath tests are common and by random they mean everyone on the same road. If they were stopping campers it is for the above plus weight check, they have a computerised system and weigh all four wheels, two at a time. Overweight means a fine and points! If you can't pay they will follow you or take you to a cash point. Plus you have to reduce the weight immediately.

If you have a radar warning device that will be confiscated and you will be fined. They are very tough now on speeding (in order to reduce road deaths) they have binoculars fitted with radar that checks you speed a long way from where they are hiding. So especially keep to 50kmp (30mph) within villages and towns.

Apart from that they are really nice folk!

:thumb:

Upvote 0

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
They often stop people coming out of Andorra to check for cigs and booze and they confiscate any excess over what they consider reasonable.

Phil.

Upvote 0

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
I have seen that in France a few times over the last few years, they seem to pick up who they feel like, right hand drivers I have seen many times. No seat belt on a toll a good one. Their way of tax ( fines )

I always like driving through the night , hardly see an official. Strange that

Lampie

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They often stop people coming out of Andorra to check for cigs and booze and they confiscate any excess over what they consider reasonable.

Phil.
customs were stopping folks on the spanish side but the french 'border' post was deserted last time we went through (spain to france) andorra.

john.

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
How do we avoid problems abroad?

I assume by French Police you mean the Gendarmes. What they call random checks are regular here; at least twice a year we will be stopped for paperwork check and breathalyser you must carry your insurance, log book (carte gris) and driving license (there is not an option to produce them later)

Thanks for the information re documents you must carry, we had no idea you had to carry the log book! Do you need an international licence as well?? We are also surprised about them weighing the motorhome, how can you possibly know how much it weighs? Do they weigh it with you (and our two dogs) in it?

Is there anything else we need to carry for France and Spain? we will be setting off in the spring and dont want to drop a major clanger, especially if gendarmes and fines are involved.

Ginny and Michael

Upvote 0

2escapees

Deleted User
Don't believe you wont see any during the night the breath test brigade work at all hours..especially when people leave the discos, and some take there camper vans there (nice soft bed)!

Plus you don't need an International driving license in France the photo card and the paperwork is all you need, Nothing else needed. But they can and do weigh people and yes it is with you, the dogs and everything else on board.

In Spain I understand you need two warning triangles, reflective vests for all passengers and two pair of glasses if you wear them.

Bon Voyage

:thumb:

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Weight problems

Right, so how can you be sure your rig is not over weight, and is it 3.5 tonnes which no matter how big your motorhome? Do we have to get the whole lot weighed before we go, or perhaps go on a crash diet??

We have the two triangles and vests, but have not heard about the 2 pair of glasses before! whatever next??

Ginny

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Photocard and Paperwork?

'Plus you don't need an International driving license in France the photo card and the paperwork is all you need, Nothing else needed. '

I am not sure what you mean by photo card and paperwork? where do we obtain these please?

Ginny

Upvote 0

2escapees

Deleted User
Sorry if I was not clear I mean you normal UK photo driving license but with the paperwork not just the plastic card!

I have never been asked if I carry two pairs of glasses but thats what I have read! They are talking about driving (distance) glasses not reading!

Upvote 0

myshell

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Funster No
Hi Mike
Re; second pair of spectacles.
I was stopped in Spain and asked to produce my spare pair of glasses, the police would only accept the second pair if they where of the same focal quality as the originals, ie. if you are wearing bi-focal glasses they would not accept reading or distance glasses as the backup pair, fortunately I had a spare pair of bi-focal.

Regards
Phil

Upvote 0

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I guess it's because if you only had one pair of driving glasses and lost or broke them how would you be able to drive safely?

Phil.

Upvote 0

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Another aspect to be aware of is that the drink/driving limit here in France is almost 50% of that in the UK (50 instead of 80). Random breath tests are normal, so NEVER drink and drive - penalties are severe and loss of licence immediate.:Angry:

Bob

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Weight of motorhome on normal driving licence?

Hi, thanks for all the information re what you must have when travelling to Spain, could anyone give advice as to how we can make sure we are not over the weight limit?

Our motorhome unladen weight is 3,500 kilo, can anybody tell me what weight we can drive on a normal driving licence?

Mike

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Are you sure the UNLADEN weight is 3.5T. If you have catagory C1 on your license you can drive upto 7.5t but the vehicle must be built to carry the extra weight. Most Euro motorhomes are built to the 3.5t max weight restriction so check before you go overloading it.

Upvote 0

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Hi dazzer.... long time,..

My old RV is about 4300kg with just me in it, but no where can I find a plated weight... so not sure what would happen in this case, if I was stopped

John

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
European Medical Form???

Right, I have checked the specification and it gives us a maximum user payload of 552 kg. We have had an awning and solar panel fitted, so I guess that will bring it down a bit.

It does not leave us a lot, if we have to count ourselves and the 2 dogs! We thought we would stock up with goodies but I think we will have to be much more careful now!

Thanks for your help.

Oh by the way, do you know the name, or URL, of the medical form you need to complete in order to obtain medical services in EU.

You know this site is great, We have found more information from here than anywhere else - thanks again.

Ginny and Michael

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Green Card?

You can apply online at Link Removed

Thanks for the info, been on the site and filled everything in, so that is another little job sorted.

What about this 'green card' what are they for and where do we get one?

Do we have to have an international driving licence, or will the nromal uk one do?

Ginny and Mike

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Green cards you get from your insurance company (usually charge you for it as well!!). A UK driving license is valid anywhere in Europe and in most other parts of the world as well.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Mike
Re; second pair of spectacles.
I was stopped in Spain and asked to produce my spare pair of glasses, the police would only accept the second pair if they where of the same focal quality as the originals, ie. if you are wearing bi-focal glasses they would not accept reading or distance glasses as the backup pair, fortunately I had a spare pair of bi-focal.

Regards
Phil

i think you were unlucky as my brother in law IS spanish and he carries an old pair of glasses in the glovebox.
he has a restricted licence because of his poor eyesight(restricted to 100kph in good light and doesn't drive in the dark) and because of this he does get stopped and checked but just produces the old ones and he's on his way.
he didn't see a police motorcyclist with blue lights and a white gloved, raised hand driving on OUR side, at 300mts distance, stopping traffic on a straight, level road. scary!!!!!:Eeek::whatthe::Eeek::whatthe:
i drove after that.:thumb:
john

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back