France next year... (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
So, provided that we find the right motorhome for us, next year we want to go to France. I have friends who live in Chenas near Macon and will want to visit them. My question is....do we book a ferry or tunnel well in advance? Also is using Aires as straight forward as it might seem? When we get to Chenas we can stay on the vineyard. Any words of wisdom much appreciated.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Aires are as straightforward as it gets to be fair. If it's a small one and known to be popular, don't bank on it having free space, as many others will have eye-spied it as well. Channel or Ferry, pretty much users choice, and as to whether to book ahead, probably safest if you want to secure the best costing.

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Aires are as straightforward as it gets to be fair. If it's a small one and known to be popular, don't bank on it having free space, as many others will have eye-spied it as well. Channel or Ferry, pretty much users choice, and as to whether to book ahead, probably safest if you want to secure the best costing.
Thank you! We would probably do Dover to Calais and then slowly make our way down to Chenas. Any suggestions from seasoned motorhomers will be fab!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Thank you! We would probably do Dover to Calais and then slowly make our way down to Chenas. Any suggestions from seasoned motorhomers will be fab!
Some more details like how many days you will take to get to Chenas
Do you like stopping at Vineyards, lakes, rivers waterfalls
Do you cycle and enjoy canal type cycling.
Will you be staying near Chenas on an aire

You ll get plenty of suggestions

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
How many days are you wanting to take to get from Calais to Chenas? Are you looking to dawdle down or blast it? Aires provide a great way of hopping through the countryside, without the need to be booking anything in advance, providing you are prepared to have to change tack at the last minute when you find your favoured aire is either crammed full, been repurposed for a market stall site for the next day, or is simply too small to fit into with your size of rig.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
I would say book early as prices will go up, if your tied to dates don't bother with flexi if not flexi may be an option. Plenty of aires on that route , champagne region is a good place to visit, ACSI book if going off season .
2 internet based sites worth checking.
Vicarious books ,all the aires France,
http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/
Have a look at my blogs plenty of info on aires there.
Dont forget July August is their holiday season so will be busy then.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We like to travel the quieter "D" roads in France, enjoying the countryside on our journeys, and stopping off in small towns and villages for breaks.
Use Park4Night or Campercontact to pick a local Aire or stopover.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
We arrived at Josselin late one Saturday afternoon, to find that the aire we had carefully researched and selected based on its location and size etc, was being used the following morning to set up a stage for a religious ceremony (and there was an actual Cardinal visiting the town that weekend too). We thought it strange when we drove in and had the ENTIRE aire to ourselves, until a kindly old lady pointed out that there was a notice on the lampost stating that there were to be no overnight stops that weekend. We moved on to the next aire in the town, down near the canal, only to find something like 40 vans there already, jammed in side by side. We ended up parked on the scruffiest grass verge going, completely uneven and totally unlevel, but still safe (and it was still free). Lesson learnt, but there was no way we were ever going to have picked up the information that there was a big knob from Italy visiting and that the aire was going to be used as a staging area .... so, moral of the tale is, be prepared to have to think again at the last moment.

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
We will probably have 15 days from start to finish due to other half's holidays. We will probably do 4 days down to Chenas and then stay at my friends place...big enough for a big motorhome! We will have our ten year old with us so will hope to find a couple of sites with kayaking etc.

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
We arrived at Josselin late one Saturday afternoon, to find that the aire we had carefully researched and selected based on its location and size etc, was being used the following morning to set up a stage for a religious ceremony (and there was an actual Cardinal visiting the town that weekend too). We thought it strange when we drove in and had the ENTIRE aire to ourselves, until a kindly old lady pointed out that there was a notice on the lampost stating that there were to be no overnight stops that weekend. We moved on to the next aire in the town, down near the canal, only to find something like 40 vans there already, jammed in side by side. We ended up parked on the scruffiest grass verge going, completely uneven and totally unlevel, but still safe (and it was still free). Lesson learnt, but there was no way we were ever going to have picked up the information that there was a big knob from Italy visiting and that the aire was going to be used as a staging area .... so, moral of the tale is, be prepared to have to think again at the last moment.
🤣 I love your description of the visiting Italian

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Did you mean "knob" or "nob" Either might apply, Just curious

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Some more details like how many days you will take to get to Chenas
Do you like stopping at Vineyards, lakes, rivers waterfalls
Do you cycle and enjoy canal type cycling.
Will you be staying near Chenas on an aire

You ll get plenty o
Lakes, rivers, patisserie, boulangerie....💖😂

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Warning Northern France is not the prettiest and best to get out of ASAP IMHO.

Aires are easy just find one en-route and head for it, if you don't like it or its full move on there are plenty around. search For Sites is the best web/app to use, the web is free but if you want the app so you can use it offline its £5.99 a year but well worth it and far easier to use and better than camper contact and its all in English.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Your route options are mixed to be fair. Easiest is just take the A26/A31 straight there, but deviating off to find places of interest to stop overnight. However, that's not what you're asking, and anyone can give you a Google route to follow. If you're wanting to mix it up a little, then you'll definitely end up doing more miles as it will be a bit of a round the houses route. If mileage isn't too much of an option, then suggest head down towards Rouen before turning east, take in Giverny perhaps, before continuing across the country, taking in Briare before arriving at Chenas. There's a load of options, you'll need to do a bit of homework to see what is going to work best for you, then maybe share it on here, and let others have a go at refining it down to make the best of it?

1629383014871.png

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Lakes, rivers, patisserie, boulangerie....💖😂
A corker stop en route is Lac de Der near Troyes at Mesnil St Pere.

An aire that never used to have any water or dump and was just a car park, HOWEVER, next a huge water sports lake and about 4 hours from Calais on your most direct route.
Using another route a stop at Langres with its lake just outside of town would be another good swimming lake
Another route will take you past Lac de Vouglans and the cascades du herrison, which is a simply wonderful set of 11 rather high waterfalls and there is wild camping stop next to the smaller of the lakes of Lac D'Ilay

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Your route options are mixed to be fair. Easiest is just take the A26/A31 straight there, but deviating off to find places of interest to stop overnight. However, that's not what you're asking, and anyone can give you a Google route to follow. If you're wanting to mix it up a little, then you'll definitely end up doing more miles as it will be a bit of a round the houses route. If mileage isn't too much of an option, then suggest head down towards Rouen before turning east, take in Giverny perhaps, before continuing across the country, taking in Briare before arriving at Chenas. There's a load of options, you'll need to do a bit of homework to see what is going to work best for you, then maybe share it on here, and let others have a go at refining it down to make the best of it?

View attachment 528450
Interesting as i got these routes !

1629383193990.png

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
When travelling through France, we always use the aires. We've learned much about using aires, especially about which ones to avoid. Not all aires are the same. We avoid motorway aires and aires in built up areas. We like the quiet village aires and those off the beaten track. When we arrive, if either of us feels at all uneasy, we drive on. Don't let these pearls of wisdom put you off, we actually love the French aires.

When we're travelling, we get going fairly early and stop around 3.30pm. We do this to make sure we get somewhere to stop. The nice aires do get full and you don't want to be wandering around into the evening, trying to find somewhere.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
So, provided that we find the right motorhome for us, next year we want to go to France. I have friends who live in Chenas near Macon and will want to visit them. My question is....do we book a ferry or tunnel well in advance? Also is using Aires as straight forward as it might seem? When we get to Chenas we can stay on the vineyard. Any words of wisdom much appreciated.
What age group are you? If one member of the party is aged 60 or over, the entire group gets 20% discount on the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry, and it is a much shorter drive to clear Rouen [before morning rush hour if you take the overnight crossing], and after that, it is a pretty relaxed drive towards the sun.

Steve

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof

View attachment 528450
Wow!! Thanks for that! I have just downloaded Search for Sites and discovered that my friends village has a lovely free Aire as does her parents village. What an awesome app!!

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
What age group are you? If one member of the party is aged 60 or over, the entire group gets 20% discount on the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry, and it is a much shorter drive to clear Rouen [before morning rush hour if you take the overnight crossing], and after that, it is a pretty relaxed drive towards the sun.

Steve
We are both recently 50! We have a 10 year old son and may take our Spaniel as my parents are not comfortable having him as well as our Golden Retriever.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Interesting as i got these routes !

View attachment 528454
I bent my route by adding in Rouen/Giverny and Briare ;) just to pull the curve away from the obvious straight line down. Giverny is lovely, and the free overnight parking there is nice and quiet, being the coach park part of the tourist attraction. Just so many options, it's impossible to say what is best for anybody.

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
A corker stop en route is Lac de Der near Troyes at Mesnil St Pere.

An aire that never used to have any water or dump and was just a car park, HOWEVER, next a huge water sports lake and about 4 hours from Calais on your most direct route.
Using another route a stop at Langres with its lake just outside of town would be another good swimming lake
Another route will take you past Lac de Vouglans and the cascades du herrison, which is a simply wonderful set of 11 rather high waterfalls and there is wild camping stop next to the smaller of the lakes of Lac D'Ilay
This is fantastic! Thank you 💖

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

Steve
And cheap, we came back on it not long ago £118 including lunch for 2 adults,dog,9m MH.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Warning Northern France is not the prettiest and best to get out of ASAP IMHO.

Aires are easy just find one en-route and head for it, if you don't like it or its full move on there are plenty around. search For Sites is the best web/app to use, the web is free but if you want the app so you can use it offline its £5.99 a year but well worth it and far easier to use and better than camper contact and its all in English.
Normandy is beautiful both on the coast and inland.Its just the weather that's a bit iffy.BUSBY.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Normandy is beautiful both on the coast and inland.Its just the weather that's a bit iffy.BUSBY.
I was meaning the part around Calais etc. Normandy/Brittany are great but I would not hang about in the pas de calais but get to them ASAP.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I know a lot of people like to book channel crossings months in advance but I can never see the logic in that.
What if you have to change your plans……work, health, Armageddon???
Unless you need to get on a particular crossing on a very busy weekend you can usually leave it until a few days beforehand.

I have always booked just a few days before we go and never found any problems or change in price. We now have a Frequent Traveler package with Eurotunnel but when we used the ferries I could never find a price difference between booking a couple of months ahead and a couple of days. The only time it was much more expensive was to book last minute ie within 48 hours of crossing.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I know a lot of people like to book channel crossings months in advance but I can never see the logic in that.
What if you have to change your plans……work, health, Armageddon???
Unless you need to get on a particular crossing on a very busy weekend you can usually leave it until a few days beforehand.

I have always booked just a few days before we go and never found any problems or change in price. We now have a Frequent Traveler package with Eurotunnel but when we used the ferries I could never find a price difference between booking a couple of months ahead and a couple of days. The only time it was much more expensive was to book last minute ie within 48 hours of crossing.
Never noticed them being much cheaper months before going.BUSBY.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I bent my route by adding in Rouen/Giverny and Briare ;) just to pull the curve away from the obvious straight line down. Giverny is lovely, and the free overnight parking there is nice and quiet, being the coach park part of the tourist attraction. Just so many options, it's impossible to say what is best for anybody.
Giverny is well worthy of a stop and turning up late in order to get to Monets garden the next morning incredibly early

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back