Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
A tip keep your eyes open in Rouen for unmarked low flyovers and bridges
Rouen directions for those who have not done it before and like their van not be a convertible

Over many years we have not found a sensible alternative to bypass Rouen. The motorway becomes Dual carriageway at the city's edge and drops down through a tunnel. Exit this in the inside lane and in 1.5km take the 3rd exit signed to Vernon. The slip road ends in traffic lights - go in the centre lane to turn left across a dual carriageway. You should now be in the right hand lane for the next set of lights. Go straight on then bear right onto the D6015 signed for Vernon. In a little while the Seine appears on your right and you are clear of the City

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So, provided that we find the right motorhome for us, next year we want to go to France. I have friends who live in Chenas near Macon and will want to visit them. My question is....do we book a ferry or tunnel well in advance? Also is using Aires as straight forward as it might seem? When we get to Chenas we can stay on the vineyard. Any words of wisdom much appreciated.
I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this but if you want a relaxed trip down through France don't drive too long each day. Our normal routine is to aim to arrive at an aire in time for a late lunch then after that explore the local area on foot.

Others put their foot down and drive all day but this doesn't suit us. There's a lot to see in France and the earlier in the afternoon you arrive at an aire the better your chance of finding a space. You will find some folk don't leave until after lunch so as they are leaving is the time to arrive for your late lunch. :)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
A tip keep your eyes open in Rouen for unmarked low flyovers and bridges
Another tip for avoiding low underpasses and bridges is to avoid Rouen altogether like we usually do.
A very pleasant detour to the west via the Pont de Brottone and stop at La Mailleraye-sur-Seine for a night or two. :cool::france:

Richard.

OP
OP
G
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Another tip for avoiding low underpasses and bridges is to avoid Rouen altogether like we usually do.
A very pleasant detour to the west via the Pont de Brottone and stop at La Mailleraye-sur-Seine for a night or two. :cool::france:

Richard.
That sounds safer and a whole lot less stressful šŸ¤£

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Only problem I have ever had in Rouen is traffic delays usually due to accidents.Have only noticed low bridges driving in from Dieppe,,not noticed one entering from Abbeville. BUSBY.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We are both recently 50! We have a 10 year old son and may take our Spaniel as my parents are not comfortable having him as well as our Golden Retriever.
If taking a doggie, then I think the tunnel is a better option as well set up for pet check in both ways and of course the dog stays with you in the van on the crossing.
Lots of threads on here with information on getting the AHC and on vets to use for the worming tablet on the way back.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I concur suavecarve route much nicer and a more relaxed route, ƈpernay is a lovely place to stop and sample some champers and the Aire is free with facilitiesā€¦ Troyā€™s good tooā€¦. Just take your time and stop anywhere that looks interesting as it WILL have somewhere to park upā€¦šŸ‘šŸ¼

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Rouen directions for those who have not done it before and like their van not be a convertible

Over many years we have not found a sensible alternative to bypass Rouen. The motorway becomes Dual carriageway at the city's edge and drops down through a tunnel. Exit this in the inside lane and in 1.5km take the 3rd exit signed to Vernon. The slip road ends in traffic lights - go in the centre lane to turn left across a dual carriageway. You should now be in the right hand lane for the next set of lights. Go straight on then bear right onto the D6015 signed for Vernon. In a little while the Seine appears on your right and you are clear of the City
Use this route many a time and whilst the two tunnels are clearly capable of clearing our ride height, we always wince as we go through them :lipssealed: But yep, the run down the side of the Seine is a good route out to the southeast and has largely served us well.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Wow!! Thanks for that! I have just downloaded Search for Sites and discovered that my friends village has a lovely free Aire as does her parents village. What an awesome app!!
I use search for sites and itā€™s amazing. Does away with all the books we used to use. Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I thought I had worked at a nice route that avoided Rouen. The sat Nav had other ideas ā€¦ gave my teenage son a great view of some of the best sites of Paris on a Sunday morning. It was memorable as I drove along the Seine past St Denis.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back