France and Spain on the UK Green list by the end of June (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
According to an article published in the Daily Telegraph late this evening:

"Spain, Greece and France are among countries that could be added to the safe 'green list' by the end of June under the traffic light system being drawn up by Downing Street for international travel, The Telegraph can disclose."

Unfortunately, I believe the article may be behind a paywall... grr!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/03/europe-welcome-british-tourists-summer-holidays/

In essence, it says the above counties won't be on the UK's 'Green list' initially, when international travel is opened on 17 May. But the article continues:

"However, a government source said the three-weekly review of the "green list" would mean more countries, potentially including some of the most popular European holiday destinations, would be added to the list through June.

"It's a rolling, evolving list that is going to start off cautiously but could start to change quickly. It is not like a one-off list that affects the totality of the summer. It will update and other countries will be added," he said.

Europe has already indicated vaccinated Brits would be welcome to visit from the beginning of June and, personally, I think by around the end of June, or possibly early July (in good time for the school holidays at least), the UK Govt will put France, Spain and other popular destinations, on the green list for travel with minimum restrictions.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
According to an article published in the Daily Telegraph late this evening:

"Spain, Greece and France are among countries that could be added to the safe 'green list' by the end of June under the traffic light system being drawn up by Downing Street for international travel, The Telegraph can disclose."

Unfortunately, I believe the article may be behind a paywall... grr!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/03/europe-welcome-british-tourists-summer-holidays/

In essence, it says the above counties won't be on the UK's 'Green list' initially, when international travel is opened on 17 May. But the article continues:

"However, a government source said the three-weekly review of the "green list" would mean more countries, potentially including some of the most popular European holiday destinations, would be added to the list through June.

"It's a rolling, evolving list that is going to start off cautiously but could start to change quickly. It is not like a one-off list that affects the totality of the summer. It will update and other countries will be added," he said.

Europe has already indicated vaccinated Brits would be welcome to visit from the beginning of June and, personally, I think by around the end of June, or possibly early July (in good time for the school holidays at least), the UK Govt will put France, Spain and other popular destinations, on the green list for travel with minimum restrictions.
Hope they do because I am hoping to go to Spain early June and return late July. Always the optimist,,BUSBY😀

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004

Posted on the guardian 1 hour ago​

UK likely to give green light for travel to fewer than 10 EU countries​

Traffic light system to be used cautiously despite European plan to let in Covid-vaccinated tourists from June
Colorful houses in Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon. Portugal is expected to be one of the few EU countries from which returning travellers will not have to go into quarantine. Photograph: Rrrainbow/Alamy

Jessica Elgot and Daniel Boffey
Mon 3 May 2021 17.45 BST

Britons’ summer holiday plans were given a major boost on Monday, as the EU confirmed vaccinated travellers will be able to fly to Europe from June, though it’s understood the UK could give the green light to travel to fewer than 10 countries.
The changing quarantine requirements for popular holiday destinations looks set to make 2021 the year of the last-minute booking.

The EU will reopen to holidaymakers from countries with low Covid infection rates such as the UK, and to anyone who has been fully vaccinated, by the start of June under a European Commission plan.
A traffic light system will be announced this week under which countries will be added to green, amber and red lists, with different rules regarding issues such as quarantine of returning travellers for each list.

Senior UK government sources said the number of destinations to which Brits can travel quarantine-free from 17 May could be in single figures – despite pressure from Conservative MPs for the UK to greenlight travel to the whole of Europe as vaccine rates improve. A significant number of countries on the list are unlikely to be major holiday destinations, one source warned.

One Whitehall source said changes could come quite rapidly over the summer as the list of green countries is reviewed every three weeks.
“It will be a cautious approach, but then things could start to change quickly,” the source said.
On Monday, Johnson said that he did not want to see an “influx of disease” once international travel resumes, which is why the government said it is being “as cautious as we can” with the roadmap.

“We do want to do some opening up on 17 May but I don’t think that the people of this country want to see an influx of disease from anywhere else,” the prime minister told reporters during a campaign visit to Hartlepool. “I certainly don’t and we have got to be very, very tough, and we have got to be as cautious as we can, whilst we continue to open up.”

The government will have the right to rapidly remove countries from the green or amber lists if cases spiral quickly, but more routinely countries will be added to a “watch list”, raising questions about the implications for cancellations and insurance.
Portugal, Malta and Gibraltar are likely to be green list countries, where testing will be required before travel but not quarantine after returning. Popular destinations like Spain and France are expected to be on the amber list initially where home quarantine is still required. Red list countries, which are likely to include Brazil, UAE and South Africa, require quarantine in government-mandated hotels.

Advice to UK ministers will be given by the Joint Biosecurity Centre, which will give its final verdict on Wednesday, meaning an announcement is likely to be delayed until Friday because of local elections on Thursday. However, one government source said there was a possibility Johnson could make the announcement on Wednesday, a vital morale boost before the polls after a week battling stories of Tory sleaze.
The government will give the go-ahead for international travel to recommence on 17 May, and official advice to “minimise travel” will change to “travel safely, plan ahead” with no advice on limiting travel around the UK.

The Labour leader, Keir Starmer, warned there should not be a repeat of the “chopping and changing” of the travel corridors list introduced last summer. “We need to be very careful. I think it’s clear that the virus is increasing in some countries around the world, so we have to be very, very careful,” he told reporters during a campaign visit to Lewisham.

Agreement on opening of European borders is due to be sought from EU member states during meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The existing requirement to undergo Covid testing before or after arrival or to quarantine could still be enforced by member states but EU officials hope there will be a gradual phasing out of these conditions.

Under the commission’s proposals, member states would allow travel into the EU of those people who had received, at least 14 days before arrival, the final dose of an authorised vaccine.
Even those who have not been fully vaccinated, which is likely to be a younger demographic in the UK, will be allowed into the EU if they are coming from a country with a “good epidemiological situation”.

As it stands, only seven countries worldwide are on a green list allowing for non-essential travel. The commission is proposing to increase the threshold of 14-day cumulative Covid-19 case notification rate from 25 to 100. The UK’s rate is about 23.2 per 100,000 people.
A senior official said the UK could be added to the green list but that it would depend on a reciprocal willingness to open its borders to all EU citizens. “The figures for the UK are good,” the EU official said. “Those vaccinated in the UK will be eligible to travel to the EU but [we are] mindful of other aspects: reciprocity. It is still a principle under this new recommendation.”

The commission is proposing, however, an emergency brake. When the epidemiological situation of a non-EU country worsens quickly and in particular if a variant of concern or interest is detected, a member state will be able to “urgently and temporarily suspend all inbound travel by non-EU citizens resident in such a country”.

Johnson also confirmed that the UK is likely to relax social distancing measures on 21 June when the government intends to loosen all remaining restrictions on hospitality and social gatherings. However, it is likely to mean that masks remain mandatory in some indoor settings.
“I think we have got a good chance of being able to dispense with the one-metre plus from 21 June,” Johnson said. “That is still dependent on the data, we can’t say it categorically yet, we have got to look at the epidemiology as we progress, we have got to look at where we get to with the disease. But that’s what it feels like to me right now.”

On Monday, the UK recorded 1,649 new coronavirus cases and just one death within 28 days of a positive Covid test, the lowest figure since 30 August last year. However, there is always a lag in reporting deaths – greater at weekends and bank holidays – so it does not necessarily mean only one such death has occurred the previous 24 hours.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
So if we can get there, there should be plenty of spaces? Although I must admit the mask everywhere rule would put me off, particularly when the evidence is mounting that the risk outside is so small.
I’m with you on masks. The other thing that puts me off, is the requirement for sourcing a PCR test two days before you return and another test when you get back. The BBC said that even those returning from the green list countries, would need these tests. There’s the cost to consider not to mention the palaver.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
With France not being on the green list it is going to be a fight for sky high prices on the biscay crossings.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I’m with you on masks. The other thing that puts me off, is the requirement for sourcing a PCR test two days before you return and another test when you get back. The BBC said that even those returning from the green list countries, would need these tests. There’s the cost to consider not to mention the palaver.
I read that as amber upwards. Is green not open access?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
From the BBC website: If a country is on the green list, no isolation or quarantine will be needed, but you will need to take a PCR test before you return to the UK and after arrival. So that will cost you an extra fee on top of your travel expenses.

Edit: Now updated to read,
Green countries
No isolation or quarantine will be needed, but you will need to take a Covid test before you return to the UK - which can either be a rapid lateral flow test or one sent to a lab, but the government does require a PCR test after arrival.

Who knows what the next change will be?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
its the U.K. that also needs to be on the EU’S green list or it means nothing
As I understand, the EU has already indicated vaccinated Brits and similar from other 'third' countries will be welcome to visit without quarantine restrictions from beginning of June.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Edit: Now updated to read,
Green countries
No isolation or quarantine will be needed, but you will need to take a Covid test before you return to the UK - which can either be a rapid lateral flow test or one sent to a lab, but the government does require a PCR test after arrival.

Who knows what the next change will be?
For what it is worth, I think the PCR landscape will change by the time we are allowed to travel overseas. I reckon the price may reduce significantly, although still a cost. And a burden, but probably worth it for a chance to take the van abroad later this summer.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
As I understand, the EU has already indicated vaccinated Brits and similar from other 'third' countries will be welcome to visit without quarantine restrictions from beginning of June.
IIRC, the Guardian article contained a quote from an EU spokesperson that talked about UK citiziens being allowed/welcomed back to France & Spain, but the potential wee sting in the tail was that this was subject to WM Government reciprocating for EU travelers to UK. And, when I read the article around 8am today, UK was sticking to the 'only some EU countries green light' line. Probably more to come on this issue.

Steve

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
IIRC, the Guardian article contained a quote from an EU spokesperson that talked about UK citiziens being allowed/welcomed back to France & Spain, but the potential wee sting in the tail was that this was subject to WM Government reciprocating for EU travelers to UK. And, when I read the article around 8am today, UK was sticking to the 'only some EU countries green light' line. Probably more to come on this issue.

Steve
I agree, it remains to be seen exactly how things will play out. And I noted the EU's so called 'reciprocity' requirement. But when it comes to securing tourism revenue, I think Spain, Greece and probably France will be keen to welcome vaccinated Brits... ;) :unsure:

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I agree, it remains to be seen exactly how things will play out. And I noted the EU's so called 'reciprocity' requirement. But when it comes to securing tourism revenue, I think Spain, Greece and probably France will be keen to welcome vaccinated Brits... ;) :unsure:
How is this vaccinated Brits to work?

I don't think the French will let me in based on the scrap of cardboard received when getting jabbed.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009

I don't think the French will let me in based on the scrap of cardboard received when getting jabbed.
The UK Government is planning to have an NHS app that confirms an individual's vaccination status. Rumour I heard today is that it may not be fully completed and operational by 17 May. But should be available for roll-out soon afterwards.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The UK Government is planning to have an NHS app that confirms an individual's vaccination status. Rumour I heard today is that it may not be fully completed and operational by 17 May. But should be available for roll-out soon afterwards.
Unless it is standard for all no one is going to be reading something in English or French if it isn't there first language?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Download the NHS App,,,it is recorded on that. BUSBY.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
All this talk about tests just a few hours before you arrive back in the UK is doable if you are flying. But driving back with a moho from winter in southern Spain is a 3 day job for us. How does that work out? Meanwhile we have a 2 week river cruise up the danube commencing mid September. It's been put back 4 months already. Will that happen? Tune in next week for the next thrilling installment of Wish we were There.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back