Folding eBikes - anyone using one? (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
As per title, I’m interested in a ‘Brompton’ style ebike... anyone any experience with this genre of bike? All advice gratefully received...

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yes, got 2 dahon electric converted bikes.
Go for ones with good gearing so you can use them almost like push bikes. Also get at least 5 power assist settings. Check the sitting position as some are uncomfortable. Personally I would reccomend a minimum wheel size of 20". I prefer front drive, as I then feel I have all wheel drive when pedalling through the rear wheel. I have a couple of spinal problems and find an electric bike is the only exercise I can bare doing.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Yes, got 2 dahon electric converted bikes.
Go for ones with good gearing so you can use them almost like push bikes. Also get at least 5 power assist settings. Check the sitting position as some are uncomfortable. Personally I would reccomend a minimum wheel size of 20". I prefer front drive, as I then feel I have all wheel drive when pedalling through the rear wheel. I have a couple of spinal problems and find an electric bike is the only exercise I can bare doing.
Did you buy a conversion kit and do it yourself?

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have recently changed to folding bikes, took awhile to find a bike that fitted our needs and they cost more than we hoped. We found the frame sizes where generally smaller and if you are 6ft over it was harder to find a bike that was comfortable.

As with anything seeing the bike and trying them out is critical.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Have just recently bought a Brompton electric. I love it. I had/have a standard non electric one and loved that too, particularly the fold. Since having the electric I am more likely to suggest going for a bike ride. It has 3 settings, all require some input, another reason I like it, I still have to exercise. I have found the front of the bike is much heavier, which is where the battery/bag is sited. Rideable without the electric bit I wouldn’t go back, through choice, to standard brommie now.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Another vote for Gocycle. We’ve recently bought them to replace our Wisper e bikes, which although great bikes, we found cumbersome to get in and out of the MH garage unless we were staying put for more than a few days. We’ll be able to keep the Gocycles in a more accessible position meaning we won’t have to empty the garage to get at them and we can easily put them back inside when we’re done. We will definitely make more use of them as a result.

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We bought a pair of AS folding electric bikes with the 36v batteries a few years ago.
they got used a lot in Europe but we left them home when we started spending our winters in Morocco (Which isnt very bicycle friendly due to the poor condition of the roads in many places)
They haven’t been used at all for the last 3 years since we had to give up the moho lifestyle for medical reasons.
I still have then in the garden shed if someone wants to take them away they can have them for £300 the pair.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
We are very pleased with our Roodog small folding bikes. Very nice and helpful firm to deal with.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As per title, I’m interested in a ‘Brompton’ style ebike... anyone any experience with this genre of bike? All advice gratefully received...
We have Bromptons that have been after-market converted. We only have a little garage space under our bed and the 2 Bronptons just slide under on their sides.
We have had them a while so batteries are not lithium so quite heavy, however I like the extra weight low down on the front bracket, it gives stability.
Small wheels not great on rough terrain so really we only use them on cycle ways or roads.
We have never been able to explore the battery life on one ride even though I use the battery a lot as we have sneaky twist grip throttle so no need to pedal !

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have a pair of Freegos 36V 16amp hour (big Batteries, so heavy jobbies) they are folders, with 20 inch wheels with 3 levels of power, 7 speed Shimano gear set.
Got them just before regs changed, so we have the twist and go throttles, you dont have to peddle to get going if you dont wish to.
We bought them to fit in the boot of the car, but since buying the MH with a massive rear garage, I wish now I had bought normal sized bikes, as we dont have to fold them up any more.
Pro's.....they are quite fast, can go many miles, useful on long uphill roads, they have racks on the back, good lights and disk break to front wheel.
Con's....they are heavy, especially with batteries in place, 20inch wheels not very good in rough terrain or off road conditions (as expected) replacement Bosch batteries are £350, or £175 refurbished I am told, but I do look after them as best I can. Very difficult decision to take into town(anywhere)and leave unattended, even with good security locks and removing keys etc
They were £1199 each which I thought was dear enough at the time, until I saw how much some others cost:eek:
Good luck in making your choice its a minefield out there.
LES

pj650

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 14, 2010
Gretna. Dumfriesshire.
Funster No
MH
Bürstner t740
Exp
Motorhoming since 2002
I bought an electric Brompton 6 speed last March and wouldn’t be without it now.It is a fantastic piece
of kit (and so it should be for the price).It means that I have been able to ride up much steeper inclines
than I was able to on my non-powered Brompton.It takes up very little space and is still very light.
Riding it is very much an acquired taste because of the wheel size,but I got used to it very quickly.Riding
on rough or loose surfaces can be tricky so a bit more care is required.
I was never really happy with bikes on the rear rack,so it’s good to have the bikes in the garage out of sight and
secure.
Peter.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Con's....they are heavy, especially with batteries in place, 20inch wheels not very good in rough terrain or off road conditions (as expected) replacement Bosch batteries are £350, or £175 refurbished I am told, but I do look after them as best I can. Very difficult decision to take into town(anywhere)and leave unattended, even with good security locks and removing keys etc
They were £1199 each which I thought was dear enough at the time, until I saw how much some others cost:eek:
Good luck in making your choice its a minefield out there.
LES
I agree with the sentiment about leaving unattended. The Bromptons seem to attract attention in every country, we too have to think about where we leave them and the heavyweight locks we carry are a bit of a pain.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We bought a pair of AS folding electric bikes with the 36v batteries a few years ago.
they got used a lot in Europe but we left them home when we started spending our winters in Morocco (Which isnt very bicycle friendly due to the poor condition of the roads in many places)
They haven’t been used at all for the last 3 years since we had to give up the moho lifestyle for medical reasons.
I still have then in the garden shed if someone wants to take them away they can have them for £300 the pair.
We have one of these. Works really well but quite heavy. The service from AS is exceptional we misplaced the charger the day we were going away , called them and picked up a new one from them on the way.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have one of these. Works really well but quite heavy. The service from AS is exceptional we misplaced the charger the day we were going away , called them and picked up a new one from them on the way.
Looked at them when we bought but too old fashioned and heavy for us.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We have 2 folding Wisper ebikes - great, although in practice I wish we hadn’t gone for folding! There’s room in the garage for them assembled, so I leave them like that.
We had 2 folding ebikes, 1 Raleigh Stow e and 1 Wisper 806SE, the wife couldn't get on with the small wheels so we traded the Raleigh in for a fixed frame Wisper 705e. wished I'd gone for 2 705e's in the 1st place. It seems to take nan eternity getting them in and out the garage.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I agree with the sentiment about leaving unattended. The Bromptons seem to attract attention in every country, we too have to think about where we leave them and the heavyweight locks we carry are a bit of a pain.
We tend to take them into restaurants with us, took them into Pho in Bristol last week, the fold is so good that as a rule they’ll fit under the table, hubby’s isn’t electric. In shops one goes in whilst the other keeps an eye on the bikes, which I know can be a pain but usually with dogs so one of us does it anyway.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We tend to take them into restaurants with us, took them into Pho in Bristol last week, the fold is so good that as a rule they’ll fit under the table, hubby’s isn’t electric. In shops one goes in whilst the other keeps an eye on the bikes, which I know can be a pain but usually with dogs so one of us does it anyway.
We have large bags which attach to the front bracket and which contain the batteries and anything else we are taking out including the locks and chains. We have to separate the bag from the frame before folding and then we have 2 relatively bulky and heavy things each to carry. We don’t go into restaurants so it’s just going in places castles etc. We couldn’t carry them around. As you say, usually only me going into shops !;)

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Yes I think bags are essential. We end up being hod carriers, to be far Annie, we wouldn’t attempt a posh restaurant with the bikes. In past we have put the girls (dogs) in the bags, but even though invested in the larger bag for the bike, the zips go around the side edges rather than ithe bag used previously along the top, so probably lose one of them enroute ?

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We have two folding ebikes which came with our boat and love them. They're a few years old and a bit rusty and battered but really useful. Can't remember what brand they are though!
We're looking to get a pair for the motor home too but can't decide which ones. Also, interested to know how to charge the batteries. Presumably we will need an inverter?

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
We have two Bromptons, both now converted to 'e'bikes by me using Nano Electric bike kits. The oldest one is 12 years old but bought new. So I think we can say we are very experience with these bikes. The electric conversions make them a bit heavier than before, but still lighter than many bikes. They were originally bought for taking away in our sailing boat, but are used in the motorhome on every trip. They can still be used without assistance, but are a treat to ride with!!

Nov 11, 2019
South Hams
Funster No
MH
Hymer tsl708
Exp
A while now
We have 2 Raleigh Stow e way bikes. Really pleased with them re quality and price (10% discount from Raleigh with CMC code) not sure on range as we’ve never managed to go that far! Heavy to lift onto a rack but ok for a garage. Insured on house policy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back