Fitting dometic freshwell 3000 & inverter In cheshire if possible (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I’ve got a dometic freshwell 3000 and an inverter both new in the boxes bought from eBay a couple of years ago , I’d intended to fit it in my work van which I was spending 10 hours a day driving but work slowed down so it never happened

does anyone know of a business in Cheshire that could fit it and the inverter as the van has no cab ac , I want it to cool while driving , I’ve got a sterling inverter but it’s in storage so I can’t check whether it’s pure sine wave and powerful enough or not at the moment

I’ve had some excellent advice from a very overqualified guy who repairs ECUs but he’s too busy to do it , I want it done professionally so there’s a paper trail in case it bursts into flames

his suggestion is to replace whatever is in there with a victron Cyril ct then run a very thick wire (40mm2) directly from the alternator positive terminal to the split-charge relay and off to the aux battery.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The common held belief is air con won`t work well from an inverter due to the massive battery bank and solar you would need to supply it.
I`m sure someone much more knowledgable will be along soon
But in answer to your question Spinney do this sort of work I believe.
A50 between Holmes Chapel and Knutsford

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Dometic make an inverter kit for this unit so it can be run whilst driving , I didn’t know what it was at the time , a bit shocked to see £1600 , though having got some advice a similar spec kit can be built for 1/2 that price .

I’m assuming for £1600 it does actually work , you’d be a bit annoyed if it didn’t :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
You can run hab a/c off alternator whilst driving.

the problem is, you need a powerful alternator and charger that can cope with battery charging.

fir example, truma safir ducted, the smallest model. Requires minimum 120a alternator.

but if you have other 12v appliances, fridge, fans , chargers etc. Running at the same time, you will require a bigger alternator than 120.

also bear in mind cable sizing.

you do not have to have a Truma or Dometic branded inverter. But it does have to be a pure sine wave. I use a Victron Energy.

the other thing to consider. Habitation a/c is really designed for a stationary vehicle. Best with blinds down and external silver screen on front window for best effect.

you are going to be driving, especially with a big A class. It will be hard to cool and get the air pushed towards the front of the vehicle.

what year and chassis do you have ?

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks

It's a 2008 ducato , lunar home car body

The freshwell has 3 vent outlets , i was thinking 2 in the habitation area and one in the cab though as you suggest with incoming warm air it'll struggle

Given fiesta's had AC in 2008 plus the cost of a new motorhome i'm amazed they don't build on chassis with cab AC as standard

I bought a transit van new in 2001 , AC was a £1200 option so hardly a bank breaker on a 40k+ purchase

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Thanks

It's a 2008 ducato , lunar home car body

The freshwell has 3 vent outlets , i was thinking 2 in the habitation area and one in the cab though as you suggest with incoming warm air it'll struggle

Given fiesta's had AC in 2008 plus the cost of a new motorhome i'm amazed they don't build on chassis with cab AC as standard

I bought a transit van new in 2001 , AC was a £1200 option so hardly a bank breaker on a 40k+ purchase
Its called upselling :LOL:

OP
OP
W
Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Had a rethink. I'm leaning towards just getting the AC fitted so it runs from the mains and getting cab AC fitted separately , I wouldn't want to spend similar money on an inverter and more powerful alternator to find it didn't work
Thanks for the advice

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
There are a lot of videos on YouTube re air con in vehicles. They might help lend some experiences to the discussion

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back