Fitting a microwave (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
I have removed a very unsafe oven and intend to replace with a microwave. The opening (photo attached) is approximately 550 square and the microwave 450 wide and 250 high. I have fabricated a fascia but I need some advice on how to stabilise it and secure it from continual shake etc.
I can fit a securing strut at the rear .
I can also fit L brackets each side on the floor but still concerned that the oven could loosen through continuous shaking. Has anyone done this before ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Remove the outer cover of the microwave and see if any internal parts are within an inch or so of the sides.
If not, refit the cover and screw a couple of battens to the sides at floor height.
Replace oven and screw battens to the floor of the cupboard/ opening.
Fit facia.
Job done.
Don't forget to provide plenty of ventilation

You will know it has screws through the side but nobody else will ever see them.
The old CRT TV in my RV was screwed in place with four 2" woodscrews in the same manner.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Personally I would not take the cover of the microwave, just screw some deep battons eitherside of it to the shelf it sits on, the weight will keep it in place.
If in doubt fix a piece of wood at the top to stop it moving upwards.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
Aug 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Remove the outer cover of the microwave and see if any internal parts are within an inch or so of the sides.
If not, refit the cover and screw a couple of battens to the sides at floor height.
Replace oven and screw battens to the floor of the cupboard/ opening.
Fit facia.
Job done.
Don't forget to provide plenty of ventilation

You will know it has screws through the side but nobody else will ever see them.
The old CRT TV in my RV was screwed in place with four 2" woodscrews in the same manner.
I’ll try that , thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
Aug 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Personally I would not take the cover of the microwave, just screw some deep battons eitherside of it to the shelf it sits on, the weight will keep it in place.
If in doubt fix a piece of wood at the top to stop it moving upwards.
Another option to consider, thanks

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Be careful if you do remove the case of the microwave oven as it can be dangerous I understand..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
Aug 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Be careful if you do remove the case of the microwave oven as it can be dangerous I understand..
??? When you say dangerous…how dangerous are we talking here ? And how do I avoid the danger please

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
This method worked for me. The microwave feet are attached with screws. I cut a piece of plywood to exactly the right size for the shelf, marked the position of the feet, then screwed through the plywood and the feet with longer screws. Obviously take care with the length of the screws so that they are not too long, and won't cause damage inside the microwave. Then a couple of screws at the front to hold the plywood to the shelf.

There was no access under the shelf, but if there was, a variation would be to screw up through the shelf, so the plywood becomes unnecessary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
??? When you say dangerous…how dangerous are we talking here ? And how do I avoid the danger please
No danger if it is unplugged. The manufacturers go to extreme lengths to ensure that microwave radiation can't be generated unless the oven door is closed and there is a metal seal to stop any microwave leakage. If you take the cover off, you can in theory defeat all those interlocks if you are foolish enough, and fire up the magnetron with no protection. I believe the first thing it gets is the fluid inside your eyeballs.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
No danger if it is unplugged. The manufacturers go to extreme lengths to ensure that microwave radiation can't be generated unless the oven door is closed and there is a metal seal to stop any microwave leakage. If you take the cover off, you can in theory defeat all those interlocks if you are foolish enough, and fire up the magnetron with no protection. I believe the first thing it gets is the fluid inside your eyeballs.
It wasn't an issue re radiation, it relates to power still being held within the microwave which can cause injury from what I understand

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B
Aug 20, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Possibly, if it's used with the cover off.
Just removing the cover will have no risk.
I don't think the factory production line workers will be wearing anti radiation suits. :giggle:
Thank you, feel a lot safer for hearing that

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I have already pointed out it's NOT a radiation issue, it's a high voltage issue from what I understand!!

1. The high voltage capacitor can give you a lethal shock even after the microwave has been unplugged for months. We will show you how to safely discharge these capacitors in this article, but they need to be respected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
That's why I said to check the location of internal components before fitting screws.
No danger of shock just lifting the cover and looking.
Someone was meant to ask ‘how’ to!

And the answer was to touch it with your tongue like you do a PP3 Battery

Ash Ketchum Wow GIF by Pokémon

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back