Fitting a fan in fridge outlet vent (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fitted the fan and W1209 controller today. Not a good result. Wired the input currant to the ground and live, checked for voltage and all was fine, 12v plus. Then looped from the live into K1, rechecked, all still good. For test purposes, I set the temperature to 20 degrees, warmed the probe up to 22 degrees, the controller switched on, I checked K0 for output and again, all was good. I then wired the fans to the controller, live to K0 and negative to ground, waited to 22 degrees for the circuit to open. At 22 degrees the circuit opened but all that happened was the controller just kept clicking. I checked both the out going voltage and in coming voltage and both read 10.5volts. I'm confused, where did I go wrong.
Have you by any chance wired the fans the wrong way round and they are loading the 12v supply, sounds like when the relay pulls in the volts drop and it resets.

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
Not sure I follow you. Can you post a picture of your wiring?

Sorry Bill, my description isn't clear. What I mean is on the power supply to the controller is negative to the ground terminal (far right) and the live to the 12v supply (second terminal from the right.

Have you tried both fans individually - I wonder if one of the fans is duff?

I didn't try the fans individually but I bypassed the controller from a switch and the both worked fine.

Have you by any chance wired the fans the wrong way round and they are loading the 12v supply, sounds like when the relay pulls in the volts drop and it resets.

As about I think Lenny, fans work fine without the controller but you never know with me, I need to check.

Many thanks for all your replies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@Baycott / @Gellyneck - this is the one I was looking at http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/fridge-vents/vento-12v-electronic-fridge-fan-126-p.html
but I'm sure someone posted that they'd found it for under £30 - but now I can't find that post!
Just found it - it was Amazon (possibly the link you provided) and the price was £29.71 incl delivery (post was on a FB group). Looks like they've increased the price or the original seller has sold out.
I have just fitted a CBE vent fans and controller.

fitting-cbe-fridge-fans.156720

Does what it should and quality looking kit.

Martin

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Fitted the fan and W1209 controller today. Not a good result. Wired the input currant to the ground and live, checked for voltage and all was fine, 12v plus. Then looped from the live into K1, rechecked, all still good. For test purposes, I set the temperature to 20 degrees, warmed the probe up to 22 degrees, the controller switched on, I checked K0 for output and again, all was good. I then wired the fans to the controller, live to K0 and negative to ground, waited to 22 degrees for the circuit to open. At 22 degrees the circuit opened but all that happened was the controller just kept clicking. I checked both the out going voltage and in coming voltage and both read 10.5volts. I'm confused, where did I go wrong.
What you've wired it to can't supply the current to run the fan. If the ground connection is good, find another positive to wire to.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I have just fitted a CBE vent fans and controller.

fitting-cbe-fridge-fans.156720

Does what it should and quality looking kit.

Martin
I fitted one of these last month and I know you could probably get the bits and make one for less money but why have the hassle. There is a nice small control unit that allows you to run it on manual, which means the fans run at full speed or you can run it on auto and control the temperature, which means the fan speed is determined by the temperature behind the fridge.
I run ours on auto at the coldest setting and the fans have never got up to full speed yet.
Fitting is simple, attach the fans to the vent, pick up a 12v feed, take a wire to earth and drill a 14mm hole if you want the control unit inside the motorhome.
Job done, no trawling the eBay for a fan here, a thermostat there, and a control unit and then wondering where all the wires fit if you are not into electrical items like me.
Just got to say the fridge does get cooler.:D

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
First real test of fans, presently on a rally with no ehu so fridge on gas. Outside temperature 17 rising to 20 when sun appears, controller set point 35 with differential of 2. Compartment temp indicated on controller at switch on (full sun on that side of van and fridge fired up on gas 36.5 creeping up to 37.8 at which point fans cut in for about 5-6 minutes rapidly brought temp down to 32 when they shut down. Early days but all seems to be working well freezer temp minus 7. Compartment temp presently 24.8 fridge not running. The controller temp probe I mounted near top of compartment above fins.

Rouflab

Free Member
Jul 28, 2017
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
RV High Top
Exp
Since 2011
Dont Buy Brunner Vento system I have had TWO gone belly up in a matter of weeks now just put a THIRD one in,, see my other posts

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Job done, no trawling the eBay for a fan here, a thermostat there, and a control unit and then wondering where all the wires fit if you are not into electrical items like me.
Just got to say the fridge does get cooler.:D
Takes all the fun out of the job, why would you want to do that.:D2

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
When siting the thermo sensor, is it the higher the better?

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
My understanding is that these fridges lose efficiency when outside temp is over about 30 deg C so I assume that the temp controller needs to be set to about this temp

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Dont Buy Brunner Vento system I have had TWO gone belly up in a matter of weeks now just put a THIRD one in,, see my other posts

I fitted this setup a few weeks ago. Very simple and easy, and working well so far!
Darn sight easier than all the techno babble on this thread ( no disrespect to those with electrical engineering degrees :p )

Really was plug and play, and so simple to fit. £28 from amazon. Just screwed the fans into the top vent, drilled 1hole to feed the wire into the van, and wired the controller to the back of a 12v socket (y)
Honestly, I don't know what all the fuss is about :imoutahere:

Proof of the pudding will be after Tuesday as I'm on the tunnel and heading to the sun for a year :D

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
My understanding is that these fridges lose efficiency when outside temp is over about 30 deg C so I assume that the temp controller needs to be set to about this temp
Thanks for the reply, but I meant the positioning of the sensor itself.. should it be as high as possible at the rear of he fridge?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back