Fitting a fan in fridge outlet vent (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Just in the process of completing the fridge fan project and would be grateful for advice as to the actual points of connection for the 12v supply. I am trying to pick up the switched supply so the fan can only cut in when the fridge is actually in use. But I cant see how to get at the back of the electronic controller in the top of the fridge (Dometic 7401L) I note that there is a supply outlet for the interior light and I should think that would be ideal, any suggestions please?

Mike

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
My fans are thermostatically controlled and I have them wired into a permanent 12 volt supply and as such if the fridge is not on the the fans are not required to work.
Same as above

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Personally i would fit a switch to turn them off at night!
The Temps in France have been hot, the dometic slow cooker ( sorry! Fridge freezer has been working hard, so the fan has been on a lot.
Im a light sleeper, so it drives me mad
I take the vent off and pull the wire and then put it back on in the morning:(

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I find our fans soothing :sleep:, but they don't really come on at night unless the fridge is on gas.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Personally i would fit a switch to turn them off at night!
The Temps in France have been hot, the dometic slow cooker ( sorry! Fridge freezer has been working hard, so the fan has been on a lot.
Im a light sleeper, so it drives me mad
I take the vent off and pull the wire and then put it back on in the morning:(
Can hardly hear my fans, I mounted them on rubber if that helps.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
My criteria when I purchased my fans was for them to be very quite and pushing a lot of air, so the fans I purchased were Noctua 120mm whisper fans that are quite at 18dB yet pushed through 60 cubic foot of air a minute and draw only 0.075 of an amp each.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Connected my to the
I suppose it also depends how deaf you are:D
Or the quality of the fans you buy:)

On the last van I fitted some fans that shifted a lot of air but I could hear them inside the van. Changed them for more expensive ones that were very quiet but much less air throughput.
Current van I did a lot more reaserch and settled for a compromise, reasonably quiet fans that shift a reasonable amount of air. So far working well.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Connected my to the

On the last van I fitted some fans that shifted a lot of air but I could hear them inside the van. Changed them for more expensive ones that were very quiet but much less air throughput.
Current van I did a lot more research and settled for a compromise, reasonably quiet fans that shift a reasonable amount of air. So far working well.
Lenny, I fitted that dual fan kit that comes with its own controller and have also put one of the Oregon sensors inside the vent so I can monitor the output temperature from the top vent on our internal weather centre which is quite interesting to watch. But the reason for this post is that I installed this fan kit 2 years ago and as we are away mostly in warmer climes it is on probably 5-6 months of the year. The fans have become increasingly noisy which may be dirt collecting on the fins so I will have a clean when I get back next week, I was wondering what if any maintenance you would suggest based on your experience?

Michael

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Connected my to the

Current van I did a lot more reaserch and settled for a compromise, reasonably quiet fans that shift a reasonable amount of air. So far working well.

What fans did you get for your current van?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have read with interest the threads on fitting fans into the outlet vent on an absorption fridge. I even priced up some fans on ebay. There was also an article in a MH magazine lately.

I thought I would ask other Hymer owners for help and posted a question on a different forum.
The answer came back that it was not recommended as it contravened gas safe regs.

"Fitting a fan will draw air through the combustion chamber and affect the the stability of the burner flame."

I am now confused as it seemed such a good idea.
I think you will find that the combustion chamber is separate from the condenser cooler chamber. These fans will just clear the hot air from the area of the condenser rather than allowing convection to vent the air. The condenser will be more efficient if the gas condenses properly before going back through the evaporation process again.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Until I arrived at Bergues aire last saturday night my fans had been running continuously for at least 5 weeks.:D & an excellent job they do .(y)

Did you fit them yourself? If so, what make are they?

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
These were the fans that I used from ebay
CF DC 12V Black 80mm Square Plastic Cooling Fan For Computer PC Case
( 321731525684 )
Noise level (of air moving)is audible outside but not indoors, you shouldn't really need them on at night in any case.
Boring job was cutting out the mounting frame for three fans. I connected them via a temperature control module so that I can change the cut in temp as necessary.
Mike

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just ordered a CBE fan kit from The Netherlands, surprisingly it was a lot cheaper than UK:LOL:

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry guys missed these posts don't appear to be getting alerts on this thread.
Lenny, I fitted that dual fan kit that comes with its own controller and have also put one of the Oregon sensors inside the vent so I can monitor the output temperature from the top vent on our internal weather centre which is quite interesting to watch. But the reason for this post is that I installed this fan kit 2 years ago and as we are away mostly in warmer climes it is on probably 5-6 months of the year. The fans have become increasingly noisy which may be dirt collecting on the fins so I will have a clean when I get back next week, I was wondering what if any maintenance you would suggest based on your experience?

Michael
I think the bearing just get noisy after a while, at the price they are it's not going to break the bank replacing them every 2 - 3 years.

What fans did you get for your current van?
Used , on the last van I used the Nanoxia fans (from same supplier) quieter but didn't shift as much air, fridge runs cooler with the ones in this van.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I went for these fans, as well a pushing through 60 cubic foot a minute at only 18dBA they offer less frontal area when stationary to airflow through the vent than a lot of other fan designs.

fan-s.jpg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just ordered a CBE fan kit from The Netherlands, surprisingly it was a lot cheaper than UK:LOL:

Martin
Martin,

If your cooling mod is "up and running" at Shrewsbury, could I have a squint at it please?

Last year in Croatia, I struggled to keep the fridge below 8 degrees C, for Rita's meds. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin,

If your cooling mod is "up and running" at Shrewsbury, could I have a squint at it please?

Last year in Croatia, I struggled to keep the fridge below 8 degrees C, for Rita's meds. :(

Cheers,

Hopefully and no problem Jock.

Martin

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Just ordered a CBE fan kit from The Netherlands, surprisingly it was a lot cheaper than UK

Hi just back after 3 months and the fridge suffered a bit in the June temperatures (along with us on the bike!) and this was an item of kit that I had looked at. I'd be interested in your views and also I can't figure out if it has a remote sensor. The instructions I found weren't that helpful!

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Martin,

Cheers,

We're also interested in fitting a fan. Could we have a look at your fan at Shrewsbury too please?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi just back after 3 months and the fridge suffered a bit in the June temperatures (along with us on the bike!) and this was an item of kit that I had looked at. I'd be interested in your views and also I can't figure out if it has a remote sensor. The instructions I found weren't that helpful!
This is the one I have ordered and it says it comes with a temperature sensor.

http://www.otoparts.nl/webshop/inde...-fan--_set_&action=article&aid=109507&lang=en

Martin

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Yep thats the one I also spotted. I'd be grateful if you could report how it all goes. I definitely plan to fit one and this seems to fit the bill.

Tim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back