Fitting a fan in fridge outlet vent (1 Viewer)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I was going to use the NC contacts on the handy little relay to run the fan and use the temp controller to switch the power to the handy little relay.
Please tell me I'm right and it will work or I'm off for a quite half hour in a dark corner. :wait:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was going to use the NC contacts on the handy little relay to run the fan and use the temp controller to switch the power to the handy little relay.
Please tell me I'm right and it will work or I'm off for a quite half hour in a dark corner. :wait:
Go and stand in the corner, what's the point of using one relay to switch another realy, you only need to turn the fan off and on at the set temp the controller can do that.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Bill_OR Can you program the controller for a cooling or heating load.

John
John,
Yes the controller works and can be programmed for 'heat' or 'cool', the default being 'cool' which is what we want. I had a concern that once I'd set my desired switch on temperature that if I then powered off the unit I would have to re-program it - but that's not the case as it remembers the settings. I really don't see how this can be sold for £1.99 including postage!
For information I have bought this box to house it in - HAMMOND 1593JTBU ENCLOSURE
It's the right size - well, there is one position where the circuit board fits perfectly - and I have drilled some holes for the wires.
I haven't finished this little project yet as it's started to rain quite hard but after messing around this afternoon I think I now know what I'm doing and should finish it fairly easily in the morning.

Note there is a doubt in my mind about whether I have bought the right fans. I have bought the Arctic Cooling F12 PWM Rev.2 120mm Case Fans 1350 RPM - however I believe these need to be controlled by software for them to actually run at 1350 rpm and without that control they only run at 600rpm. Perhaps a less intelligent fan would suit our purpose better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Back from the dark corner (cooking and eating dinner) and was going to try and dig my way out of my hole having taken another look at the temp controller spec and seeing the wrong assumption I had made but on second thoughts I'll stay stumm as it's the safer option.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
John,
Note there is a doubt in my mind about whether I have bought the right fans. I have bought the Arctic Cooling F12 PWM Rev.2 120mm Case Fans 1350 RPM - however I believe these need to be controlled by software for them to actually run at 1350 rpm and without that control they only run at 600rpm. Perhaps a less intelligent fan would suit our purpose better.
They are OK they run at full speed with just the black & yellow wires connected. The reason I chose that fan was the best comprimise between noise level and air throughput.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
@Lenny HB does the controller need a permanent 12v connection to retain the set temperature. I want to put an on/off switch to manually control the fan can I put it before the controller and still maintain the settings?

John

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, just fitted two fans on the outlets from fridge. Ran two wires pos and neg, from battery with 2 amp fuse. Connected on/off switch, each fan had its own temperature sensor. Fan runs when switched on the temperature sensor then controls the fan speed when temperature rises above 25 c to maximum speed at 45c. Runs very quiet will have to see how loud it is during the night. The parts cost arround £15.00.
During the recent hot weather the fridge was???? No freezer, so we will see if there is any improvement. Removing the bottom grill would also increase the area of for cooling air to enter behind the fridge.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi guys,
I have just read this thread as my fridge didn't perform well in recent hot weather and want to install a/pair of fans.

I went for these fans, as well a pushing through 60 cubic foot a minute at only 18dBA they offer less frontal area when stationary to airflow through the vent than a lot of other fan designs.

View attachment 172331
Do you have a link for these fans please Paul?

@Lenny HB - sorry to bother you but I'm playing with the temperature controller and I don't think it's working!

What I have done is:
a) connected the power to the +12v and the Gnd terminals.
b) connected the black & blue leads from the fan to K0 and K1
c) set the threshold temp to 26 deg and saved it
d) held the temp sensor and watched the displayed temp increase. When it gets to 28 deg (which, I assume, is the set temp plus the default 2 deg 'backlash' value) the LED to the right of the display comes on BUT there is no voltage across K0/K1 so nothing happens!
e) when I stop holding the temp sensor the displayed temp starts to fall and at 26 deg the LED light goes out - still no change in voltage across K0/K1

Can you remember back to when you used this circuit? Am I doing something wrong or is the board not working properly?

Thanks,
Bill

P.s. whoops! I now understand! It's just closing a switch and not sending power anywhere! I gave to provide the power source separately !!

View attachment 173330
Is this the controller Bill?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Temperature-Control-Switch-DC12V-Heat-Cool-Thermostat-Thermometer-Temp/152378193833?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20131017132637&meid=8b6966f6445c4d32a015454b24794235&pid=100033&rk=5&rkt=8&sd=142429434816
If so, can I get it anywhere in the UK as this one comes from Australia

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
This looks like the same controller but at a fraction of the cost. Would it do the job?

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Baycott - it was a w1209 controller. Try searching for just w1209 and limit the search to UK only. I paid £1.99 including postage

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
Excellent thread. This is my next task. I was wondering about what temperature to set the controller at? I read earlier in the thread 26 degrees. Is this the setting everyone uses?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Excellent thread. This is my next task. I was wondering about what temperature to set the controller at? I read earlier in the thread 26 degrees. Is this the setting everyone uses?
I think it's probably a case of trial and error to set the optimal temp on the controller as there are so many variable between each of our installation and I think the main factor is where you temp sensor is in relation to your cooling fins. Mine is currently set at 32 degrees. I have found when running on 240 volt that I need to drop the fridge setting down a notch or two.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think it's probably a case of trial and error to set the optimal temp on the controller as there are so many variable between each of our installation and I think the main factor is where you temp sensor is in relation to your cooling fins. Mine is currently set at 32 degrees. I have found when running on 240 volt that I need to drop the fridge setting down a notch or two.
I've found if you can set it so that the fans turn on when the outside temp is 25 deg works well. In my case with sensor about 12" above the absorption fins I have the controller set to 32 deg on current van on the last van it was 35 deg, all a bit of trial & error.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
K0 & K1 are just a pair of normally open relay contacts so you have to jumper power to to one side, also yellow is the fan positive.

View attachment 173342

Could I have some advice please?

I have wired this up on my kitchen table as above but used a small 12v battery (about the thickness of an AAA but half the length) to check out the wiring.

The control panel I have purchased displays the ambient temperature. When I drop the temperature on the control down to below ambient, a little amber light flashes to the right of the LED and the words "Of.O" displays on the LED. What does this mean? I appreciate that the battery might not run the fan - could that be the reason for the display on the LED or ....?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just to add info. The battery doesn't have enough umph to spin the fan when wired directly to it but does cause it to judder. The fan doesn't judder when wired to the thermostat control (and the probe temp exceeds the led display temp).

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Baycott - if you haven't yet ordered the bits then have a look at the Vento kit. I think it's under £30 on Amazon and I think I would use that if I were doing the job again.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I would say the battery you are using can't supply the current required so voltage is dropping to low for the controller to work.
Why not connect it to a supply in the van (via 1 or 2 amp fuse) or if the vans not at home use a 12v power supply, a lot of computer monitors have a 12v power supply that's what I used to set mine up before fitting..

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I would say the battery you are using can't supply the current required so voltage is dropping to low for the controller to work.
Why not connect it to a supply in the van (via 1 or 2 amp fuse) or if the vans not at home use a 12v power supply, a lot of computer monitors have a 12v power supply that's what I used to set mine up before fitting..

I was trying to get things sorted before wiring up to 12v LB in the MH. I'll try it today for real but was curious why the OF.O display came on - any idea if it means that the signal has been sent to the switch KO but there isn't enough draw on from the fan to show that anything has happened? I didn't want to destroy the controller by ignoring the LED and small flashing light when OF.O is displayed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not sure but think it's an out of range error condition, vaguely remember it coming up on mine when playing around, I think I just turned the power off & on and it reset.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
@Baycott - if you haven't yet ordered the bits then have a look at the Vento kit. I think it's under £30 on Amazon and I think I would use that if I were doing the job again.
I have searched Amazon for a Vento kit Bill but nothing comes up. Is there another name for it?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have searched Amazon for a Vento kit Bill but nothing comes up. Is there another name for it?
Is this it?
https://www. .co.uk/Brunner-Fridge-fan-Vento-Electronic/dp/B001CUY03K
stick amazon in between the two full stops!

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Baycott / @Gellyneck - this is the one I was looking at http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/fridge-vents/vento-12v-electronic-fridge-fan-126-p.html
but I'm sure someone posted that they'd found it for under £30 - but now I can't find that post!
Just found it - it was Amazon (possibly the link you provided) and the price was £29.71 incl delivery (post was on a FB group). Looks like they've increased the price or the original seller has sold out.
There is an option for £29 on Amazon but it's £50 for delivery!:eek::eek::eek:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Finished fitting Arctic fans and controller this afternoon, all working a treat. Now just have to fine tune the controller (and decipher the at times interesting English instructions) the fans are whisper quiet even OH is happy at lack of noise. So thanks Lenny for the links to both and I fitted the control unit snugly at side of consumer unit as per your idea. Needed to increase length of sensor cable by a couple of feet so will be interesting to see if it has any effect.

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
Fitted the fan and W1209 controller today. Not a good result. Wired the input currant to the ground and live, checked for voltage and all was fine, 12v plus. Then looped from the live into K1, rechecked, all still good. For test purposes, I set the temperature to 20 degrees, warmed the probe up to 22 degrees, the controller switched on, I checked K0 for output and again, all was good. I then wired the fans to the controller, live to K0 and negative to ground, waited to 22 degrees for the circuit to open. At 22 degrees the circuit opened but all that happened was the controller just kept clicking. I checked both the out going voltage and in coming voltage and both read 10.5volts. I'm confused, where did I go wrong.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back