Fitted Semi Air Suspension (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got a 2007 Ducato panel van camper. I'm planning on doing some serious trips later in the year, so she's currently being upgraded and fettled. Whilst she was up on ramps to work out whether I could squeeze in an LPG tank and underslung grey water tank, it was pointed out that the 'bump stops' in the rear suspension where in a pretty poor state. After 10 years, 60k miles and a recent trip around the Highlands, my bump stops were in looking pretty knackered. They've been squished far too much for too long and they are perishing. It was quite likely that it'd be picked up in the next MOT. I could have bought replacements for about £50, but I'd probably still be riding far too low, because....

For those that don't know (and correct me if I get any of this wrong!), on the rear of many vans are leaf springs with dampers which do most of the work. There are also fairly firm rubber bump-stops that sit between the arch of the leaf spring and the chassis that reduce the hard crash at the end of the suspension travel if you hit something particularly large. On the Ducato/Boxer/Relay, these bump-stops are relatively large (about the size of a fist) and cone shaped to provide a softer and progressive cushioned stop to the end of the suspension travel. I believe that in a new and unloaded panel van these won't even be in contact with the axle plate, but with pretty much all motorhomes, the load means you are likely to be riding on the bumps pretty much all the time. In my van, when fully loaded, I didn't really have much travel left. (Yes, I'll be going to a weigh bridge shortly!)

So I started looking at (semi) air suspension. The air suspension for motorhomes that most people come across simply replaces the bump stops with a set of heavy-duty air bellows. The pressure in these can be adjusted to account for the load and to keep the ride-height where it's supposed to be. Some people even use them to jack-up the suspension on bumpy sites and to level-up when stopped. I considered spending about £550 to get someone to fit a kit. Instead I thought I'd have a go myself... apparently it isn't hard. I settled on a kit from Italy from EasyTop, which cost about £330 and then some money to buy axle stands and a jack. Cheaper kits are available on eBay, but EasyTop seem to be fairly well regarded with that added bonus that they clamp onto the leaf springs without removal of existing bolts... which was an important factor for me as I have no idea how hard my bolts would be after 10 years of road crusting.

The fitting...
First jack the van and put some axle stands underneath. You need to lift until the wheels are just off the floor to get the maximum gap under the leaf springs as possible.
20180310_105333.jpg

Extract the old bump stops. The collar around the top has notches. It's only loosely screwed on, so it only took some gentle taps to knock it, then it twisted off by hand... yes, the bumps were shot...
20180310_105747.jpg

Comparison of the old bump stop vs. a shiny new EasyTop air bellows unit, you'll note it's much taller!
20180310_105013.jpg

So the most fun was trying to squeeze the bellows unit into the gap between the leaf spring and the cup mount on the chassis. This was about an hour of faffage before a workable solution was found. In the end I stood on the bellows and kept it compressed with a couple of heavy duty zip ties. This was just enough to wiggle them into position. On one side, the zip-ties snapped just as I got it into place. If I were to do this again, I'd find something more secure (like bigger zip ties). I've heard other people squeeze a jack into the leaf sping to expand it out... not sure if there's really room for that.
20180310_112907.jpg

Squeeze it in, then tighten up the bolts. Easy.
20180310_115239.jpg

Both sides took about 3 hours to this stage with my serious inexperience, but I could probably half that next time.
20180310_115347.jpg

The air lines then go to the fill point I've mounted on the driver's seat. Rather than just run the air lines under the van bare, I enclosed them in a flexible tube for a bit of protection. I also re-routed my reversing camera cables into the tubing at the same time. Took another 1.5 hours to do this properly. (Yes, that carpet will be coming out soon!)
20180310_154255.jpg

Other thoughts...
Should I have got a kit with a compressor? No. The pressure required is pretty low and the volumes are tiny. I'm adjusting my pressures with a tiny £6 hand bicycle pump. It only takes a minute to go from 2 to 3 bar.

Is ride height higher? I read somewhere that the minimum recommended ride height on a Ducato is about 13cm. I assume this is the top of the wheel arch to the top of the tyre? I measured 8.5cm on one side before I put the bellows in! It's now about 15cm. Only pain now is that due to my short-arse stature, that extra 3" means I can't get the mountain bike on the rear rack without a step anymore. Very demeaning!

Is the ride any better? Hitting pot-holes now sounds like 'crash... crash', where as before it was 'crash... oh-my-god-what-fell-off!'. The rear is now only as bad as the front. There might be a bit less road rumble, but I might be imagining that bit. It does however rolls much less on corners. Before, the first few degrees of steering just rocked the van over. Turning happened later. Steering is now much more responsive... does mean I have to be more gentle with it too though. Passing trucks on the motorway doesn't give that sucked-in feeling anymore and side gusts have less effect, so motorways are a bit more relaxed. Not a 'sport' van now, but definitely not as jelly suspension. Note.... all these improvements might be down to my former low ride and knackered bumps though.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I have an autosleeper that has this system (actually the Alco equiv) as standard. All I can say is that the van handles very well. So it seems to do its job. To a limited extent you can also use it to adjust the height when parked.I carry a 12v/rechargeable pump that can do the tyres as well as the suspension.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting solution, looks like a nice DIY and not too expensive.

May have a look at picking up a kit from Easytop

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Had air-assist fitted early on when I upgraded the MAUW and very pleased with it. Made a real difference in the handling - after experimentation I run it at 50 psi fully loaded.

The only niggle is after about half an hour standing after a days driving, the airbag seems to extend itself a bit, causing a nose-down attitude. I suppose I could reduce the pressure but then I'd have to get the compressor out to top it up again. It's not enough of a niggle, however, to fit a permanent compressor.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I bought and fitted this kit for our Peugeot/Ducato chassis wich came with an onboard air compressor so I can inflate/deflate the airbags on the move if necessary.
I came via an eBay seller at £315 delivered. Took a morning to fit and plumb in the kit.

air-susp.jpg

I preferred to have the dials and compressor controls to hand so bought a small mounting panel from Marcle Leisure.

air-dials.jpg

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I bought and fitted this kit for our Peugeot/Ducato chassis wich came with an onboard air compressor so I can inflate/deflate the airbags on the move if necessary.
I came via an eBay seller at £315 delivered. Took a morning to fit and plumb in the kit.

View attachment 219745

I preferred to have the dials and compressor controls to hand so bought a small mounting panel from Marcle Leisure.

View attachment 219756
Do you have a link pls, had a look didn’t see the kit you got with dual gauges and compressor for £315
Thks mark

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Here you go Mark :-

Don't worry that these guys are based in Slovenia as they are true to their word and mine arrive within a week via DPD couriers and I was issued with a tracking number for it's journey.

The panel for the gauges :-

We have a Elddis Autoquest 175 and I had space to mounted the air compressor under the hab seating next to the whale water pump. They supply plenty of piping to go between the air bags and gauges, so I ran it along to the area of the cab step, then under the cab step plastic moulding, up the under the wheel arch moulding and in behind the dash.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Here you go Mark :-

Don't worry that these guys are based in Slovenia as they are true to their word and mine arrive within a week via DPD couriers and I was issued with a tracking number for it's journey.

The panel for the gauges :-

We have a Elddis Autoquest 175 and I had space to mounted the air compressor under the hab seating next to the whale water pump. They supply plenty of piping to go between the air bags and gauges, so I ran it along to the area of the cab step, then under the cab step plastic moulding, up the under the wheel arch moulding and in behind the dash.
Very helpful, Thks for the info
Have you been happy with them
Thks mark

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Very helpful, Thks for the info
Have you been happy with them
Thks mark

Yup, works very well. Because the controls are to hand, on the move you can adjust the sides independently to get the handling/ride quality that you want.
We also found that pumping it up when we arrive on site that it reduces the van rocking about so much when we move around inside.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
I've got a 2007 Ducato panel van camper. I'm planning on doing some serious trips later in the year, so she's currently being upgraded and fettled. Whilst she was up on ramps to work out whether I could squeeze in an LPG tank and underslung grey water tank, it was pointed out that the 'bump stops' in the rear suspension where in a pretty poor state. After 10 years, 60k miles and a recent trip around the Highlands, my bump stops were in looking pretty knackered. They've been squished far too much for too long and they are perishing. It was quite likely that it'd be picked up in the next MOT. I could have bought replacements for about £50, but I'd probably still be riding far too low, because....

For those that don't know (and correct me if I get any of this wrong!), on the rear of many vans are leaf springs with dampers which do most of the work. There are also fairly firm rubber bump-stops that sit between the arch of the leaf spring and the chassis that reduce the hard crash at the end of the suspension travel if you hit something particularly large. On the Ducato/Boxer/Relay, these bump-stops are relatively large (about the size of a fist) and cone shaped to provide a softer and progressive cushioned stop to the end of the suspension travel. I believe that in a new and unloaded panel van these won't even be in contact with the axle plate, but with pretty much all motorhomes, the load means you are likely to be riding on the bumps pretty much all the time. In my van, when fully loaded, I didn't really have much travel left. (Yes, I'll be going to a weigh bridge shortly!)

So I started looking at (semi) air suspension. The air suspension for motorhomes that most people come across simply replaces the bump stops with a set of heavy-duty air bellows. The pressure in these can be adjusted to account for the load and to keep the ride-height where it's supposed to be. Some people even use them to jack-up the suspension on bumpy sites and to level-up when stopped. I considered spending about £550 to get someone to fit a kit. Instead I thought I'd have a go myself... apparently it isn't hard. I settled on a kit from Italy from EasyTop, which cost about £330 and then some money to buy axle stands and a jack. Cheaper kits are available on eBay, but EasyTop seem to be fairly well regarded with that added bonus that they clamp onto the leaf springs without removal of existing bolts... which was an important factor for me as I have no idea how hard my bolts would be after 10 years of road crusting.

The fitting...
First jack the van and put some axle stands underneath. You need to lift until the wheels are just off the floor to get the maximum gap under the leaf springs as possible.
View attachment 219537

Extract the old bump stops. The collar around the top has notches. It's only loosely screwed on, so it only took some gentle taps to knock it, then it twisted off by hand... yes, the bumps were shot...
View attachment 219538

Comparison of the old bump stop vs. a shiny new EasyTop air bellows unit, you'll note it's much taller!
View attachment 219539

So the most fun was trying to squeeze the bellows unit into the gap between the leaf spring and the cup mount on the chassis. This was about an hour of faffage before a workable solution was found. In the end I stood on the bellows and kept it compressed with a couple of heavy duty zip ties. This was just enough to wiggle them into position. On one side, the zip-ties snapped just as I got it into place. If I were to do this again, I'd find something more secure (like bigger zip ties). I've heard other people squeeze a jack into the leaf sping to expand it out... not sure if there's really room for that.
View attachment 219541

Squeeze it in, then tighten up the bolts. Easy.
View attachment 219543

Both sides took about 3 hours to this stage with my serious inexperience, but I could probably half that next time.
View attachment 219544

The air lines then go to the fill point I've mounted on the driver's seat. Rather than just run the air lines under the van bare, I enclosed them in a flexible tube for a bit of protection. I also re-routed my reversing camera cables into the tubing at the same time. Took another 1.5 hours to do this properly. (Yes, that carpet will be coming out soon!)
View attachment 219546

Other thoughts...
Should I have got a kit with a compressor? No. The pressure required is pretty low and the volumes are tiny. I'm adjusting my pressures with a tiny £6 hand bicycle pump. It only takes a minute to go from 2 to 3 bar.

Is ride height higher? I read somewhere that the minimum recommended ride height on a Ducato is about 13cm. I assume this is the top of the wheel arch to the top of the tyre? I measured 8.5cm on one side before I put the bellows in! It's now about 15cm. Only pain now is that due to my short-arse stature, that extra 3" means I can't get the mountain bike on the rear rack without a step anymore. Very demeaning!

Is the ride any better? Hitting pot-holes now sounds like 'crash... crash', where as before it was 'crash... oh-my-god-what-fell-off!'. The rear is now only as bad as the front. There might be a bit less road rumble, but I might be imagining that bit. It does however rolls much less on corners. Before, the first few degrees of steering just rocked the van over. Turning happened later. Steering is now much more responsive... does mean I have to be more gentle with it too though. Passing trucks on the motorway doesn't give that sucked-in feeling anymore and side gusts have less effect, so motorways are a bit more relaxed. Not a 'sport' van now, but definitely not as jelly suspension. Note.... all these improvements might be down to my former low ride and knackered bumps though.
Thank you for this detailed description of the task and its benefits ------Ian

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Don't forget to adjust your headlights before the next MOT.
Lifting that much will have lowered them quite a bit.
Hi Pappajohn Hope you're feeling much better now. Can I ask is it a difficult job to adjust the headlights properly or is it best left to the garage to do it?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the detailed description - can I ask how you fed the airlines in to cab?

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Thanks for the detailed description - can I ask how you fed the airlines in to cab?

There are many crevices along the underside of the van where it is safe to ziptie and p-clip pipework and wiring. I followed the line between the sill and the main chassis rail on the drivers side of the van from back to front. Once it gets near the front of the van, you just follow the route of the handbrake line. The trickiest bit is getting past the exhaust, but there's quite a large cavern above it that looks safe where I've jammed the flexible pipe carrying the airlines.

To get into the cab itself, again follow the handbrake. There's a large cavity at the base of the b-pillar. On the passenger side it carries the fuel filler, but it's mostly empty on the driver's side. The bottom of it has the inlet for the handbrake cable and the bottom contains a bung that I've previously fed a cable through. This time I widened it up a bit with a step drill bit and forced the flexible pipe straight in.

So now you've found your route into the dry. On the inside of the van, remove the plastic plate at the base of the b-pillar just behind the seat to expose a noise sealing plate and a large block of sound insulating foam. Reach down up to your elbow and you'll find the other side of the rubber bung. Remove the drivers side step lining to expose several holes into the b-pillar cavity, and whole spaghetti of other wiring. I just used the existing wiring runs and channels to get the pipework up to under the seat.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you for that very detailed & very informative reply

Last edited:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I fitted rear air suspension today made by VB air.

John.
Thks Very useful info, can I ask why you choose the above am currently looking and there seems to be loads of suppliers just interested from your research what made you go with VB
Thks

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Thks Very useful info, can I ask why you choose the above am currently looking and there seems to be loads of suppliers just interested from your research what made you go with VB

I was going to buy the cheaper air kit from EBay but I was informed by Mick from SAP that the air bags with the VB system were better quality than the cheaper kits.
Also I had VB fitted on our last van by the dealer and I was pleased with it.

The only problem that I had was connecting the air hose and tightening the air fittings once the air bags were fitted under the van.
I also had to compress the bellows and zip tie before I could get them to fit.
In hindsite I would fit the air hose the same as @Guigsy did in his installation.

The cheaper kits off eBay have 2 years warranty but the VB only as 1 year warranty and the instructions are pictorial only.

John.

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Just a note. The reason I bought the EasyTop kit was because I didn't fancy removing and replacing the saddle between the leaf spring and the axle. The EasyTop kit just clamps over the top.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just a note. The reason I bought the EasyTop kit was because I didn't fancy removing and replacing the saddle between the leaf spring and the axle. The EasyTop kit just clamps over the top.

Good point and hadn't noticed that.

Quick question: when you said you used a bike pump, is that via a Schrader valve and are those the connectors on the front of the unit ?

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Good point and hadn't noticed that.

Quick question: when you said you used a bike pump, is that via a Schrader valve and are those the connectors on the front of the unit ?

Yes, it's just a Schrader valve. You undo the cap on the front of the unit, give it a few pumps and you're done. To release pressure, there's simply a dimple on the top of the cap to press the valve centre in with. The EasyTop pressure gauge unit is slightly tacky in design, but the whole thing feels like a quality piece of engineering.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Here are the pictures of my fit and where I ran the air hoses, I didn’t use the gauges bracket supplied as I wanted the gauges in the rear so I made my own bracket out of some plastic that I had lying around.

John.

9DCB0E38-9322-4432-BAFD-5497198AA929.jpeg
ED185E18-4DCC-4D51-89FB-8BF8059380FA.jpeg
06CA9774-461C-4D0C-8D8F-BEBDF1AA04B5.jpeg
346E7308-8F74-48E5-86F6-B7612701AA09.jpeg

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I don't know much about this subject but am keen to learn more.

My first question is ...Are all the systems described above for non-Alko chassis vehicles?
If the answer is Yes, are there a similar kits for Alko chassis vans?

I seem to remember reading in the past that there is a company (possibly called E & S Suspension or similar ??) that will fit such a system to Alko chassis but don't sell DIY kits.??

Thanks to all Funsters who have taken the time to give excellent descriptions & images(y)(y)

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
The ALKO chassis kit is not considered a diy capable fit. Price for VB Comfort Semi Air fitted is around £2k

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Chaps, if you fit semi-air to your van then is this something that needs to be declared to your insurance agent as a modification.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Chaps, if you fit semi-air to your van then is this something that needs to be declared to your insurance agent as a modification.
Don't know if it's a requirement or not but tell them anyway.
No point giving them "get out" reasons in the event of a claim.
My experience is they will simply note it in your file if they don't need to know.
Main things are performance upgrades...ECU mapping etc.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Don't know if it's a requirement or not but tell them anyway.
No point giving them "get out" reasons in the event of a claim.
My experience is they will simply note it in your file if they don't need to know.
Main things are performance upgrades...ECU mapping etc.

Good info(y) It is an interesting perspective that Joe Public can slap on any DIY suspension system which may adversely affect the handling of a vehicle if not set correctly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back