Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Guys, I've just spoken to Comfort about fitting semi-air and my premium will not change.

Good news(y)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
For those that have fitted one of these kits how easy would it be to reverse the process and re-install the factory standard rubber bungs ? or are these damaged when you take them out ?

I ask as I couldn't get mine through it's MOT here once I've added such a kit so would need to switch it back before inspection.....

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
I've just fitted partial air suspension. The "rubber stops" came off with no difficulty and could easily be reused if I wanted to.However the improvement in our MH really means I never will return to the original situation
Ian

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
For those that have fitted one of these kits how easy would it be to reverse the process and re-install the factory standard rubber bungs ? or are these damaged when you take them out ?

I ask as I couldn't get mine through it's MOT here once I've added such a kit so would need to switch it back before inspection.....

It's a straight forward job but still plan on allocating 1.5hrs to be on the safe side.

How I do it:

1. Undo the air suspension holding bolts.
2. Disconnect air line.
3. Push two small pieces of wood under the air suspension base.
4. Twist the suspension unit ant-clockwise until it unscrews itself.
5. Gently force the unit towards you until it pops out.
6. Replace bump stop housing.
7. Replace bump stop (stick some lube or washing up liquid on it to help it back into place.
8. Job done - a few pics below to help:

All the best,

Andrew

20180511_141714.jpg

20180509_131634.jpg

20180509_131125.jpg

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
On what grounds would this be an MOT failure?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I think he's referring to an overseas MOT equivalent - not a UK test;)

(y)(y)(y)

Yes I should have been clearer.

I've checked and I can fit a DIY air suspension but it can only come from 2-3 specified suppliers that have "approved" kits ie the same ones but from the camper car shop that are 3 x the price..... It's a way to force people to get it done at the shop and spend a small fortune, fully fitted it costs around £1500 here (same type of kits as in this thread) DIY off eBay £300 = no brainer except I don't have the little bit of paper and stamp saying it's approved. As my first MOT is due in a couple of months I can do it after that, then the next one is 3yrs away so not to bad to switch it back if it's only a couple of hours work.

Thanks to all

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
............. except I don't have the little bit of paper and stamp saying it's approved

This is for my own learning but what approval paper/stamp do you require and to whom must it be presented.

The only reason why I ask is that the VB-Air Maunfacturer supply numerous compliance certifications with its products. I will have to dig them out to clarify the exact contents and fitting caveats etc. I'll try and read them tomorrow.

All the best,

Andrew

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
This is for my own learning but what approval paper/stamp do you require and to whom must it be presented.

The only reason why I ask is that the VB-Air Maunfacturer supply numerous compliance certifications with its products. I will have to dig them out to clarify the exact contents and fitting caveats etc. I'll try and read them tomorrow.

All the best,

Andrew

I think he is referring to get weights on V5 increased axle weights, and to do that you need a plating certificate by a qualified engineer.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
(y)(y)(y)

I've checked and I can fit a DIY air suspension but it can only come from 2-3 specified suppliers that have "approved" kits ie the same ones but from the camper car shop that are 3 x the price..... It's a way to force people to get it done at the shop and spend a small fortune, fully fitted it costs around £1500 here (same type of kits as in this thread) DIY off eBay £300 = no brainer except I don't have the little bit of paper and stamp saying it's approved. As my first MOT is due in a couple of months I can do it after that, then the next one is 3yrs away so not to bad to switch it back if it's only a couple of hours work.

Thanks to all
Check with on line suppliers whether the kit comes withapproval certificate. I fitted a Dunlop kit from www.marcleleisure.co.uk this came with Dunlop certificate of conformity. Can't remember current price but approx £300. Dunlop Suspension is a Dutch based company. Worth speaking to as their kits are OEM approved.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When i enquired about getting from Marcle, i was staying in france at the time and they wouldn’t ship abroad so got EasyTop instead.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
(y)(y)(y)

Thanks to all
If you fit it will it affect your insurance cover/road legality?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
If you fit it will it affect your insurance cover/road legality?

Yes it becomes invalid.

Here I can only fit pre-tested parts that have been approved for certain modifications, this air suspension is unfortunately one of them. So it means that I have to buy one of the 2 brands from the only shop here that sells them hence the prices are kept much higher. Once the manufacturer has had his product approved it shipped out with the relevant docs and the parts are stamped are marked with unique serial numbers on them, these tie up to the certificate of approval.

Most of it's a complete load of b0110cks to be honest but they love testing and paper work here.....

I think my work around is the only solution but it risks the point Minxy Girl posted above.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
In the op it says the bup stops should be clear of the springs if in good condition Im sure I saw a post on here a while ago saying they were supposed to be in contact just wanted anyone looking not to get worried thay were a problem whan not

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
In the op it says the bup stops should be clear of the springs if in good condition Im sure I saw a post on here a while ago saying they were supposed to be in contact just wanted anyone looking not to get worried thay were a problem whan not
My understanding is that their should be no contact when stationary. If their is contact then suspension movement is restricted to the amount of deflection ib the bump stop.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I was going to buy the cheaper air kit from EBay but I was informed by Mick from SAP that the air bags with the VB system were better quality than the cheaper kits.
Also I had VB fitted on our last van by the dealer and I was pleased with it.

The only problem that I had was connecting the air hose and tightening the air fittings once the air bags were fitted under the van.
I also had to compress the bellows and zip tie before I could get them to fit.
In hindsite I would fit the air hose the same as @Guigsy did in his installation.

The cheaper kits off eBay have 2 years warranty but the VB only as 1 year warranty and the instructions are pictorial only.

John.
I decided to buy the VB following your post John, like you after a fair bit of research they probably offered the best kit for the money.
I didn’t buy the approved compressor from VB as the wanted another £195.00:eek:, did you buy a compressor if so any suggestions.
I was thinking that a cheaper car air compressor would be up to the job but not sure on how twin air lines could be incorporated into a single air line supplied on these units (diameter etc), any suggestions/help gratefully received
Thks mark

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
@Gorse Hill I used an ordinary car compressor that I already have, and I earlier had fitted a 12 volt ciggy socket for my CPAP machine in the rear.
I left the twin gauges with separate air lines, if you combined them you would need some way of isolating each side because when you went around corners etc you would have air pressure transferring between air bags.

John.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
I bought and fitted this kit for our Peugeot/Ducato chassis wich came with an onboard air compressor so I can inflate/deflate the airbags on the move if necessary.
I came via an eBay seller at £315 delivered. Took a morning to fit and plumb in the kit.

View attachment 219745

I preferred to have the dials and compressor controls to hand so bought a small mounting panel from Marcle Leisure.

View attachment 219756

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just as a quick update i had an email from Marco at easyTOP and he mentioned 2 options for their system. Th first is an integrated control panel that swaps out from the original one, see below:

Screenshot 2019-03-29 at 13.47.31.png

Screenshot 2019-03-29 at 13.47.39.png

Screenshot 2019-03-29 at 13.47.51.png

The other i'm still trying to figure out.... but i think it's just an integrated compressor (will revert back)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
So i installed the EasyTop system at Easter. Easy enough job and i'm happy with the result. First real test spin yesterday following the "Tour de Romandie" so covered about 200km and the i could really feel the difference, mainly as the OP mentioned less of a crash crash but more bump bump over the terribly smooth roads we have here in Switzerland :) and the back end wallows a lot less, more like a car vs a sofa.

3E24D0E1-875B-43CC-9BBF-D7E0B5D4A310.jpg

9F026333-DDFC-43C4-9C23-A3604BB7CABC.jpg

2C374246-0A45-43A2-B7C5-F1F3BAEEEFBC.jpg

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I don't have air gauges on my system - VB semi-air. Can I add gauges on to the existing inlets so that I can monitor the pressure? If so, any advice as to which gauges I could use?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I don't have air gauges on my system - VB semi-air. Can I add gauges on to the existing inlets so that I can monitor the pressure? If so, any advice as to which gauges I could use?

You will find most if not all of what you need from these people. I am no expert but I would have thought if you cut the air pipe to the bellows and put a tee piece connector in. A short bit of pipe to the gauge it should suffice.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
You will find most if not all of what you need from these people. I am no expert but I would have thought if you cut the air pipe to the bellows and put a tee piece connector in. A short bit of pipe to the gauge it should suffice.
Perfect, thanks (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back