Fitted Semi Air Suspension (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Good info(y) It is an interesting perspective that Joe Public can slap on any DIY suspension system which may adversely affect the handling of a vehicle if not set correctly.
The UK is about one of the only countries where it can be done. Most others require the kit of whatever it is to come complete with its homologation certificate, Its CoC , which then has to be fitted by an approved garage who then supply another piece of paper stating that it has been fitted correctly & by someone who is autorised .With both pieces of paper the fitment whether, air assist, towbar, bull bars,side bars, rear cycle racks, motor bike carriers, additional driving lights , fog lights,etc;etc; can then be added to the log book.
If it isn't on the log book here it isn't legal.

For those that have fitted one of these kits how easy would it be to reverse the process and re-install the factory standard rubber bungs ? or are these damaged when you take them out ?

I ask as I couldn't get mine through it's MOT here once I've added such a kit so would need to switch it back before inspection.....
That's the problem for me but has to be done yearly once 10 years old:(

This is for my own learning but what approval paper/stamp do you require and to whom must it be presented.

The only reason why I ask is that the VB-Air Maunfacturer supply numerous compliance certifications with its products. I will have to dig them out to clarify the exact contents and fitting caveats etc. I'll try and read them tomorrow.

All the best,

Andrew
They do but not always for the Uk as not needed. Like when you buy a 'homologated' tow bar.In the UK it does not come with itsCoC homolgation certificate ,whereas here & in other EU countries the identical towbar is supplied with it.

I think he is referring to get weights on V5 increased axle weights, and to do that you need a plating certificate by a qualified engineer.
No just to fit almost anything requires it to be approved.I.e. you cannot fit most things yourself unless you have a mate that is approved to certify it for you.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
@gus-lopez yes we suffer like you regarding the official way that things are to be done here however on the semi-air suspension i've decided that i'll remove it at the time of the next control, i'll be an expert at installing it in a few years...

Just had a tow bar fitted and for that i had no choice but the go the official route and even after shopping around it cost €2k but is well done, very neat and the all the tests and approvals were included although adding it to my "Permis de circulation" was another €30.

Having been out of the UK for almost 15yrs now i shudder to think of the modifications i made to my old RS2000 in the late 80's, all would have needed a ton of paperwork here..... and it has some how made me realise that all these approvals and a having a controlled system and processes is actually a good thing.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
For info the Glide rite semi air, and I assume other systems, of theirs are type approved, and come with a book of certification, and sections to be filled out by installer should you wish/require it to be all approved.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Two on Tour, I have the same system as you. Oh forgot you fitted it for me.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Quick feedback on this upgrade:

1) definitely less crashing around of stuff in the van when you go over a pot hole
2) less sofa like ride, more car like
3) less bounce when the van is parked up when people go in and out via the hab step
4) more stable on pitch, again less bounce as above

Overall the back end just doesn't bounce up and down like it used to !

Great modification and well worth it.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Finished fitting an easytop this morning, havent been out for a drive yet, but definately more stable now.

What bar are you folks using. Instructions say 1.5-2.5 so ive set at 2 for now until ive been for a drive about

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Finished fitting an easytop this morning, havent been out for a drive yet, but definately more stable now.

What bar are you folks using. Instructions say 1.5-2.5 so ive set at 2 for now until ive been for a drive about
I run mine at anything between 2&3, depending on load in my back box.
Just a matter of trying and seeing what suits you.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I run mine at anything between 2&3, depending on load in my back box.
Just a matter of trying and seeing what suits you.
Is that an easytop system?

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
EasyTop on a small PVC I'm running 2-2.5 bar. For me it's not that sensitive, so anything over 1.5 seems to prevent most of the sway and it's not until about 3.5 that the ride becomes noticeably harsh.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Here 2.5 on an EasyTop fitted to a Laika Luton style van but towing a trailer as well.

It made a huge difference to ours, well worth the money !!!

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Crumbs! As probably one of the least technical persons reading this forum, I have a question. We have a 5.41 fiat pvc (globecar).

Does the semiair system require pumping and faffing and/or understanding of when and how to faff about; or are any of the systems “fit and forget” or “fit and simple to understand and work”? Answers in words of one syllable please - or at least short sentences ?????

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Crumbs! As probably one of the least technical persons reading this forum, I have a question. We have a 5.41 fiat pvc (globecar).

Does the semiair system require pumping and faffing and/or understanding of when and how to faff about; or are any of the systems “fit and forget” or “fit and simple to understand and work”? Answers in words of one syllable please - or at least short sentences ?????

No and yes

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Mine is a 5.4m. It's easy to fit (particularly the EasyTop system as you don't have to remove any u-bolts). It holds pressure really well, so it would be fit-and-forget... except we frequently use it to level the van on slightly wonky sites (anything more than a few degrees and we still use ramps).

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Mine is a 5.4m. It's easy to fit (particularly the EasyTop system as you don't have to remove any u-bolts). It holds pressure really well, so it would be fit-and-forget... except we frequently use it to level the van on slightly wonky sites (anything more than a few degrees and we still use ramps).

Thank you. It is looking like a good idea

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Only need attention when it’s lost a bit of pressure as shown on the systems pressure gauges , no different to your tyres.
I use a small bicycle pump to top mine up with.

Feb 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore
Exp
I've just fitted a Timpro system to my Encore 255. A couple of folk have mentioned having difficulty keeping the air bags compressed to allow them to screw in easily. I solved this by connecting the air line to the fill valve on the bag, then compressing the bag before folding over the other end of the air line, this prevented the bag re-inflating. I'm very happy with the product, which cost me £330 off eBay.

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I've just fitted a Timpro system to my Encore 255. A couple of folk have mentioned having difficulty keeping the air bags compressed to allow them to screw in easily. I solved this by connecting the air line to the fill valve on the bag, then compressing the bag before folding over the other end of the air line, thus prevented the bag re-inflating. I'm very happy with the product, which cost me £330 off eBay.

I fitted the Timpro kit to our MH, but I used cable ties to hold the airbags compressed while fitting them.

Feb 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore
Exp
That's a good way to do it too.

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
I have fitted the air suspension kit from Ebay and it does the job extremely well. The only problem is removing the axle "U" bolts because they are apparently a one use item so they must be replaced. Easily done though.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have fitted the air suspension kit from Ebay and it does the job extremely well. The only problem is removing the axle "U" bolts because they are apparently a one use item so they must be replaced. Easily done though.
That’s the beauty of the Easitop version, it just clamps to the spring, so no need to undo the u bolts

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
ok this weekend I need to remove mine, as expected it failed it’s MOT today on this and the passenger headlight being a few degrees out. On a positive note the headlight would have failed it on its own so it was worth an attempt to see if they wouldn’t notice the air suspension (I know, I know). Will double check with EasyTop on hologlomation certificates but i guess I won’t even get a reply on that one…. if I do then I’ll post on here

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back