First Trip to Europe, Wife Nervous (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Hi All,

Appreciate any advice, we have been pottering around UK since we bought our Moho in May enjoying the freedom and facilities on tap where ever we go.

I am very tempted to take advantage of the long Christmas break and head south for some slightly better weather (I did say slightly) maybe Southern France or Perhaps Southern Italy going for about ten days (for me it is as much about the trip as the destination.)

As we have a dog we would probably take the Tunnel, so my Wifes first worry is the immigrants at Calais. As a first time journey would it be best to stick to France which I get the impression is more welcoming to Motorhomes, any advice appreciated to ensure a succesful trip and put my Wifes mind at rest.

Paul

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would just go using the tunnel. After all, you want to take your dog so plane and ferry not an option. Time your homeward tunnel trip so can drive the approach roads in daylight and then don't worry.
Agree the tunnel is good with a dog, as you do not leave it, but we went Ferry Dover/Dunkirk and then Calais/Dover back the dog is alone in the van for about 90 minutes, ours was fine. Depends on the dog but if used to be being on own in van for short periods of time then do not worry about using the ferry if you have to.

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Must be really nice where they come from to pay thousands of euros to escape and endure the life on the road and in the Jungle..i quite envy them,,BUSBY:(:(

You are welcome to join them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I am not keen on the weather in France at winter solstice time, certainly not in the Limousin.

For warmth I imagine you would have to go a long way down into Spain and it takes quite a time whether by land or sea.

If you can't carry the days to next year go to Madeira ( you can guarantee lots of heat there, though the fires might have gone out by then).

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Lets put your wifes fears to bed first, we have done about ten tunnel crossings and four ferry crossings and only ever seen two immigrants so no problems there at all.

Yes with a dog the tunnel is a good option for the first time.

Now as to weather, would you consider motor homing over Christmas back in England, many do. The weather in France is almost certainly better than England albeit, we can get it wet just as England can.

Now to put the wifes fears at rest once you get over here, assuming you avoid the big cities then imagine England forty years ago and yes it is so easy and friendly, you never see drunken yobs over here oh and the roads are an absolute pleasure to drive on

If she has any other fears or doubts then ask away

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
For that time of year I can recommend new year in Brugge and the heating in the van overnight

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You are welcome to join them.
I don't need to i am very very lucky to have been born in England and live a peaceful life with full employment and a happy retirement unlike some of those in Calais who were born into poverty in a probably war torn country. Who in their situation would not try to better them selves just like many many of our ancestors who did just what they are doing. Many of my family at the turn of the century,,19th to 20 th emigrated to Australia, Canada and USA,,,BUSBY,,,

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
But your relatives chose to go to a country legally where they were wanted or were they also criminals?

No country needs any more poor people that it has already, they are of no use to anyone.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
But your relatives chose to go to a country legally where they were wanted or were they also criminals?

No country needs any more poor people that it has already, they are of no use to anyone.
Could easily have been criminals,,,,,Just like all those in Calais,,according to our media anyway...Mind you we could probably swap some of our scum and scrotes for some of those that are desperate to come here,,,BUSBY:):):)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back