First Trip to Europe, Wife Nervous (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Hi All,

Appreciate any advice, we have been pottering around UK since we bought our Moho in May enjoying the freedom and facilities on tap where ever we go.

I am very tempted to take advantage of the long Christmas break and head south for some slightly better weather (I did say slightly) maybe Southern France or Perhaps Southern Italy going for about ten days (for me it is as much about the trip as the destination.)

As we have a dog we would probably take the Tunnel, so my Wifes first worry is the immigrants at Calais. As a first time journey would it be best to stick to France which I get the impression is more welcoming to Motorhomes, any advice appreciated to ensure a succesful trip and put my Wifes mind at rest.

Paul

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Firstly southern italy is much too far for 10 days. Southern France is pushing it too in my opinion. Northern France more realistic but weather not much different to UK.
I share concern about calais but I've not been recently so can't advise. Those that have been mostly report no problems.
Personally I'd stick to somewhere nice in UK for Christmas break, can be excellent if you get some decent weather
I would like to go to France next year so ill be keeping an eye on calais situation. Reports on BBC this morning not encouraging !

Upvote 0

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
The tunnel is fine, no issue with migrants. its very heavily fenced off since the problems last year. There hasn't been any reports of migrants there this year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Paul

I can't make any promises about the weather but as you know the further South you go the better your chances are, I wouldn't worry about going on the tunnel as 1000's are doing it every day but your good lady might feel safer doing in in daylight.

Yes France is Motorhome friendly but so is Germany, the Rhine and Mosel areas have 100's of Stellplatz, the one thing to be aware of would be availability of water, if its too cold a lot of the Aires and Stellplatz places turn it off at the mains to stop it freezing.

Martin

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For the best winter weather it has to be Spain and the Murcia region in particular. Southern Portugal also an option but can be wetter.

I wouldn't worry about migrants but travel during daylight would be advisable.

You would enjoy southern France as well I think so why not head there and if it gets too wet drop down into Spain?

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Why not go just now? France is great.

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
GO!
Some trepidation is natural for the first Motorhome sojourn in Europe but don't be put off.
The only problem you'll encounter with Calais immigrants is the heartache as you sail past the camp & see the conditions they have to endure.
As far as destination is concerned, if you really want warmer weather, then you've got to put in the miles but if you're happy with weather similar to here, France or Germany are Motorhome heaven compared to the UK.
If the choice is between UK or Europe, I'd opt for Europe every time.
Go and have a great time.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If you are nervous why not visit ParcVerger or Twin lakes near limousine and Bordeaux

Not sure about the weather for the time of year you wish to travel but I am sure you will receive a warm welcome from both sites.

There are usually a funster or two at either.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We went to France through the tunnel on 1August and returned two days ago. Did not see any sign of migrants on either journey.

As others have suggested, travel during daylight when it comes to the crossing, remembering that days will be much shorter during mid-winter.

No reason you shouldn't go to France at Christmas time, but much nicer at this time of year in my opinion. Tend to hop on a plane Dec / Jan and head further south - Canaries are a favourite for significantly warmer weather.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Been with the van and the dog on the tunnel and the Calais ferry this year June and July/Aug, not seen or had any issues with migrants, just the Dover roads.

It was our first time abroad in a van and we took the dog, so like you a bit nervous and apprehensive, we went tunnel in June must say it was very easy, second time was a last minute thing so we went ferry (tunnel was really stupid money) and apart from a hold up on the way out again very easy. We used a mix of aires and sites, just whatever was convenient and looked ok on the day, not sure how that would work out of season as most sites will be closed??

I do not know where to go to get no rain and a bit of warmth in Dec, I would check the weather maps at the time, but 10 days is fine to get to S France and into Spain, but it wont be a leisurely tour down and back and would use toll roads, last time over July we took 7 days off and got to Cannes where we stopped for 3 days, but it was a bit rushed!

Still not sure why but we now love it so hoping to go again end of September

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
To be fair, we did a day trip in a hire care from Lake Geneva to Monaco before the F1 Grand Prix to have a look around which there and back is the same distance as Calais to say Marseille and I would far rather do 665 miles in the Moho with everything on board than a little hire car (somehow a journey like that in a car is a means to an end but a journey like that in the Moho is part of the adventure - hope the novelty does not wear off:unsure:)

Is the water still an issue in Southern France with temps around 7 degrees?

Paul

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Forget France/Italy. Too far too cold.

Jump on Santander/Bibao ferry and head south. Quite pleasant weather. 10 days way too short though.

I agree Spain usually has a much nicer weather forecast than France at Christmas time :)

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The timing of your trip depends on how far you wish to drive in a day. One Easter we set off from NW England around 4pm on the Thursday and stopped overnight in Dover. On Good Friday we got an early ferry and drove to Parc Futuroscope's massive car park just north of Poitiers for an overnight stop, and were parked on an aire on the Charente coast before midday Easter Saturday, just as the first French MHs were arriving for the holiday weekend. On other occasions we've driven to Biarritz on day 3 and arrived late afternoon.

If you're based in MK and don't mind putting the miles in you could easily get down to the warmer bit in 3 days with time to spare.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The advice you've got is as usual, very good and pretty consistent. How far south you go really depends upon your style of motorhoming. I know lots of 'homers who are happy to push through in one or two days to reach that warm sunshine in Spain, but that isn't my preference. Sue and I like to enjoy the journey and the places in between, even if we go direct to Santander from Plymouth so we would take two days just to get to Murcia from Santander and if driving down the Atlantic Coast of France from Roscoff have taken more that a week just to do that stretch. And of course, you BOTH have to enjoy a fast trip if that's your intention.

Good luck with the trip though. You can't beat warm sun on your skin in the depths of a long English winter!

Gary

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I seriously would reconsider - 10 days is just not enough time to get anywhere warm and by the time you've got there you'll be thinking of coming back!

Perhaps instead of taking the MH what about a cheap flight/hotel deal?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Sorry but comments like that wind me up.
They are there by choice....nobody is forcing them to be there.
Must be really nice where they come from to pay thousands of euros to escape and endure the life on the road and in the Jungle..i quite envy them,,BUSBY:(:(

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Even if the weather is OK going south, you could get snow on the way back.
And it's nor cheap taking the mh ,
If you was sun, as previously said, take a plane to the canaries.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Take Portsmouth Bilbao ferry,,24 hrs and then a days drive to some warm weather on the med near Valencia..Usually sunny and 18 to 20 degs over xmas and new year...BUSBY..

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Take Portsmouth Bilbao ferry,,24 hrs and then a days drive to some warm weather on the med near Valencia..Usually sunny and 18 to 20 degs over xmas and new year...BUSBY..

nice idea..

but add up the drive time to Portsmouth from MK, Ferry 24hrs, and Spain another days drive.. ~ 3 days .. = 6 days travel for a 4 day holiday..

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
nice idea..

but add up the drive time to Portsmouth from MK, Ferry 24hrs, and Spain another days drive.. ~ 3 days .. = 6 days travel for a 4 day holiday..
Yes you need a month at least,,we go 20th nov and return feb 8 th and could really do with longer,,BUSBY,,,

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would just go using the tunnel. After all, you want to take your dog so plane and ferry not an option. Time your homeward tunnel trip so can drive the approach roads in daylight and then don't worry.
So the weather may not be great, but as they say, a change is as good as a rest and I am sure you will enjoy it.
Keep in mind the water issue and also that French shops will close for longer hours/ days than UK ones over Christmas and NY. I am sure other Funsters who have been at that time can advise about that.
Good luck.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So the weather may not be great, but as they say, a change is as good as a rest

Or as I say, "if you are going to be cold and miserable might as well be in the cheap comfort of your own home".

Yes, Benidorm is warmer, but the days are just as short and it certainly isn't warm at night.

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry but comments like that wind me up.
They are there by choice....nobody is forcing them to be there.
it's irrelevant whether they are forced or whether they chose. Anyone with the slightest glimmer of compassion can't help but be disgusted by their plight. I wouldn't treat an animal like that but then I suppose if they were animals, more people would be up in arms.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
it's irrelevant whether they are forced or whether they chose. Anyone with the slightest glimmer of compassion can't help but be disgusted by their plight. I wouldn't treat an animal like that but then I suppose if they were animals, more people would be up in arms.
So true,,on telly last night they fastened a dog to a fence,,,every one who passed by helped,,,they then chained a 10 year old girl to the same fence,,she was totally ignored,,i could not believe it but that is so called civilised people in our country,,BUSBY..

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Or as I say, "if you are going to be cold and miserable might as well be in the cheap comfort of your own home".

Yes, Benidorm is warmer, but the days are just as short and it certainly isn't warm at night.
Would not swap my breakfasts out side the van and shorts and t shirts in Nov dec jan and feb for a winter in U.K. The days may be a bit short but sun from 0930 until 1800 most days is lovely,,,BUSBY:):):):)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back