Free Member
Feb 5, 2017
Andover
Funster No
MH
Don't yet have one
Exp
None
I have already posted a similar thread in the introduction section, but following some response I narrowed things down a bit. We are looking to purchase our first motorhome. This is for us to eventually spend at least 6 months per year touring Europe, but we will start in the UK. The motorhome needs to have at least 4 berths, with the possibility of sleeping 6. We want to tow a car, so that we can park up and use the car to explore areas that would difficult in a large motorhome. We have started looking but as yet don't understand the benefits of the different styles on motorhomes for example an A Class or Cochabuilt. Budget around 40-45K. Any ideas, thoughts would be great. I've also taken note an paid up my subscription.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Again ---- If you are wanting to take a car with you - have you thought about simply buying a caravan?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Hello :hi:

Hopefully some of the more experienced 'funsters' will be able to answer some of your questions.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
So are you looking for 3 double beds, or one double and four bunks? What's the weight limit you are allowed to drive?

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I have already posted a similar thread in the introduction section, but following some response I narrowed things down a bit. We are looking to purchase our first motorhome. This is for us to eventually spend at least 6 months per year touring Europe, but we will start in the UK. The motorhome needs to have at least 4 berths, with the possibility of sleeping 6. We want to tow a car, so that we can park up and use the car to explore areas that would difficult in a large motorhome. We have started looking but as yet don't understand the benefits of the different styles on motorhomes for example an A Class or Cochabuilt. Budget around 40-45K. Any ideas, thoughts would be great. I've also taken note an paid up my subscription.
I'll not even attempt to advise you on which motorhome to buy, other than to continue as you've started, explore all avenues for information and visit as many dealerships as you can, to start getting inside different makes and models.
You will eventually get a feel for what you like and what will suit your needs, followed by a shortlist of favourites and if possible, try to rent something similar to get a good feel for them.
It can be a very expensive mistake if you don't get it right.

Do carefully consider your options for towing a car, whether on an A-Frame, which may not be legal right across Europe, or a full trailer, with associated storage once on site.

Good luck and happy hunting (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TDG1230

Free Member
Feb 5, 2017
Andover
Funster No
MH
Don't yet have one
Exp
None
I'll not even attempt to advise you on which motorhome to buy, other than to continue as you've started, explore all avenues for information and visit as many dealerships as you can, to start getting inside different makes and models.
You will eventually get a feel for what you like and what will suit your needs, followed by a shortlist of favourites and if possible, try to rent something similar to get a good feel for them.
It can be a very expensive mistake if you don't get it right.

Do carefully consider your options for towing a car, whether on an A-Frame, which may not be legal right across Europe, or a full trailer, with associated storage once on site.

Good luck and happy hunting (y)
Thanks of the advice.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As Stealaway suggests, you are probably looking for a caravan. A six seater car that can be towed behind a motorhome would be some beast.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Sorry to answer your question with questions but to get a better idea, how many will be using the van on a regular basis, will it be, two, or two with children, Looking at touring Europe, look at what will suit without going to big, if you are touring and using Aires and doing a bit of wild camping then I would say a RV would be a bit cumbersome if you are going to stay on sites for a long period more than touring then a caravan would be a option. Visit dealers, and motorhome shows, sit in the vans, imagine living in them , storing outside table and chairs, barbie , and the other bits and pieces, make sure you feel comfortable and check your pay load on the vans, no good getting a large van unless it has a good pay load. Keep asking the questions you have paid your subs so you can make full use of the search facilities and forum :welco:

Reactions: Jim
Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you really are "touring" i.e. Moving every week or so on the continent then for me a caravan is completely out of the question. That said as soon as you need 6 belted travel seats in a van your choice narrows significantly. As for towing a car, plenty do, but not six seaters! Do you really need to tow? It's worth trying it for a season without towing and seeing how you get on. Most all Motorhomers get by without, or they hire a car at a destination if they really need to. Motorhomes can get you close to the action so push bikes, the odd bus trip and Shank's pony are all we generally need.

Exciting times..Best of luck. yy

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The more i think about this the more i think 5th wheel is an option
Not a lot of us tow mainly because of the cost, manoeuvrability, necessity and reduction in aires.
5th wheelers are also not supposed to be in aires so the caravan is probably the better bet which forces you to pay camping fees every night whichever way
A motorhome can basically go everywhere a car can go (apart from through Rouen!) then if you had pushbikes you would need 6 ? you are going to need a garage.
Are the 4 persons travelling 2 adults 2 children. Are they adults that will visit to make it 6 ? Are they just there for a fortnight ?

A class motorhomes (I have no experience here) are more desirable because of the more spacious layout but they come with a substantive extra cost. You can get a fixed bed at the rear with a garage underneath and a bed that lowers over the front driving seats.
Coachbuilt are the luton types and you get high and low profile. You would need a high profile so that the luton would take a double bed above the drivers seats.

It may be that something has to give and you work around it and the thing most of us would get rid of is the car i think.

You might get better value by buying in Germany and there are threads you can search for that for reputable dealers and how to do it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back